Corsair Community

New PSU - Case fans remain lit after PC shutdown

AdzUK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
are you sure you know what you are talking about, because this sounds like a load of nonsense...

Capacitors can collect and store incredible amounts of voltage, (limited by their rating), and with the use of a diode or even a simple resistor, it's very possible to keep LED lights, (which are a form of resistor as well), lit for long periods of time. That's not anything new and assuming the devices that the LEDs belong to are connected in a parallel config, it really doesn't take much with the right resistor and capacitor combination.

That said, I’m about to post a new topic about an anomaly regarding the EXACT same scenario as far as the 2 PSUs are concerned. I replaced my OCZ 700W psu with the RM 1000 and found out that the two systems don't have compatible cable configurations.

I spent an entire day trying to figure out why some of my fans would spin and others wouldn't. There were also tests I did that would spin the fan in question, but they would spin up very slowly.

I was so stubborn about the possibility that it took many tries and tests before I actually looked and compared the contacts inside the two PSU cable connectors! Seriously, I know that was DUMB and I have no excuse...

But that's a different topic so I won't go into it here.;):

Edited by jonnyguru

• 8 months later...
Had a very similar problem to the one described by the original poster, Power Supply LED staying lit despite being disconnected from the wall socket, also I was having problems booting the computer it was failing to start up, when I pulled the Power directly from the Motherboard the PSU LED then went out, but came back on the moment I plugged the power connector back into the board, everything had been working perfectly until I installed the Mini-Display port to Mini Display-Port lead I bought off ebay, so I pulled the DP lead out of the 7990 and wow and behold the Power supply LED went out, so the Power was coming down the DP lead through the Graphics card and into the motherboard then into the PSU and was preventing the PC from booting properly, changing the Lead fixed the issue, so if you are having a similar problem, pull your monitor lead from the Videocard and see if the PSU light goes out?

so I pulled the DP lead out of the 7990 and wow and behold the Power supply LED went out, so the Power was coming down the DP lead through the Graphics card and into the motherboard then into the PSU and was preventing the PC from booting properly?

Sorry for the long post so I placed my questions at the beginning of the post rather than the end. That way, you can read the post or choose not to, (up to you), because I found that some folks just don’t like to read. I’m not saying you don’t, but in case you don’t, these are my two questions;

Where or what exactly is the “DP Lead”?

If you disconnected it, (and never reconnected it), how did the disconnection of that lead affect the computer aside from allowing the Corsair 1000 to run properly?

I wanted to get a better understanding of what you said because I have the HD R7970 which is much like the 7990 in as far as the connections.

Do I understand you correctly, when you said you disconnected the monitor connector from the card? I doubt that's what you meant and I'm sure I have it wrong. If the "DP Lead" is the 'Display Port' lead then wouldn't you lose your monitor disconnecting it?

My 7970 has an 8-pin connector and a 6-pin connector and both must be connected. If I remember correctly, (I haven't looked at it in a while), the 6-pin connector has a little 2-pin 'tail end' connector that must be held against the remaining 4-pin connector body when plugged into its port in the card, (if that description makes sense).

Perhaps you're saying that you disconnected that '2-pin' part of the 6-pin connector in order to get the Corsair to work correctly, yes? If so, wouldn't that cause a problem with your video card?

When I installed the Corsair 1000PSU, it was to replace my OCZ 700w supply. It wasn't until I replaced all my OCZ cables with the Corsair 1000 'flat-wire' cables that my problem with the fans was fixed and spinning as they should. However, I was never able to get my NZXT LED string to work regardless of the cable change or even moving the LED's connector to a different place.

In fact, the LED string only worked if I connected it to an entirely separate 5V power adapter, (which I setup only to test the string). I had the exact same NZXT model of LEDs on my OCZ 700W for over a year and burned it out trying to connect it to the R1000. I had to buy that replacement LED set as a result but found that the Corsair 1000 was burning it out.

As I said, I have the 1000w working since I changed to the flat-wire cables and I did notice that the Corsair cables had different connector configurations than the OCZ 700 cables.

The OCZ 7000 cables are a higher quality, softer cable set and I prefer them to the much stiffer Corsair cable set. However, when I looked closely into the ends of the connectors with a flashlight, I was surprised to see that many, if not most, of the Corsair connectors had at least one additional "live" plug-port within the group.

The only conclusion I could come to, (bearing in mind that I don't have an advanced knowledge of microelectronics), was that the Corsair 1000 needed to be connected with the cables it came with. Now that you seem to have found the alternative to the issue, I may be able to use my OCZ cables if I can understand what you did. (I placed my question at the beginning of this post).

Thanks,

Rich

• Corsair Employee

Cables between different manufacturers are RARELY compatible. You're lucky you didn't fry anything.

Even within the same brands, cables aren't necessarily compatible. For example: You can't use the cable set from an AX850 with an RM850. The pin-out is different.

Whooo! I was lucky indeed! However, I did burn out that LED light string from NZXT as I said earlier. Anyway, it's been a while since I installed that PSU, (almost a year), and though I admit I don't have a perfect memory of it, I don't recall reading any explicit warning regarding the cable interchangability in the information I gathered for it before installation.

I know you said "... rarely compatable" in that statement but I successfully interchanged PSU cables from a number of different manufacturers over the years I've been building/upgrading my various computers. I must have been lucky with those but then, none were more powerful than this Corsair I have now.

In addition, I bought a 'full set' of system cables from Xoxide a couple of years ago, without ever specifying the PSU I was buying them for. I can't remember the model at the moment, (it wasn't a Corsair), but it was a 500w unit and never gave me trouble.

I'm not arguing your point, (I'm far from understanding electronics in these systems), but considering that a wire is basically, (that's a 'key-word of course), a conduit that the available electricity uses to get from point A to point B, it would seem that any cable set will work providing it is manufactured with wires to every 'pin port' of the connector group on every end of the cable/s.

Ergo, I could have harmed my system by not supply power to certain systems because the OCZ cables had "blank" pi-ports within the connectore group. However, if I had cables that had no blank or missing pin/wire within the connector group, shouldn't it be able to work with any PSU?

So long as there are no 'special jumper' wires in the cable configuration, (essentially, a standard cable set), except every pin port able to carry a current, I fail to see how that could be a problem.

Truth be told, it seems to me that this is the only way a generic cable set could be manufactured for sale as a replacment set to any PSU. I'm just throwing that out there but I can't say I'm 100% certain. It just seems like it would work.

FWIW,

Rich

• Corsair Employee

The cables you got from Xoxide were probably for an Ultra X-Connect PSU. At the time, Ultra and Antec were the only modular PSUs on the market... and.... guess what? The pin out for the cables were different. Xoxide sold the Ultra cables, but not any Antec cables. Even if they did, you couldn't mix those up because Ultra used Molex connectors on the modular interface while Antec used 6-pin connectors (similar to a 6-pin PCIe) and Antec's 24-pin was fixed.

Yes, wires are mere "point to point conduits for electricity", but that's neither here nor there because the wires aren't always making a straight line from one connector to the other. You also have many different voltages and signals. Some wires are +12V. Some are +5V. Some are +3.3V. Some are ground... I've seen computer hardware after the +5V lead is energized with +12V. Or a ground is energized with +3.3V. It's not pretty.

Just a couple months ago, we had a guy who used his Antec cables in a Corsair RM PSU and he fried all of his hard drives. He tried to blame the PSU for the damage, but when we pointed out that the cables were not even Corsair cables, there was little left for him to say.

The reason there's different pin-outs across different makes and models is because of the modular interface's PCB design. If you look at the 24-pin, for example, you'll see that voltages and grounds are grouped together. That makes the PCB more difficult to manufacture. So what's typically done is the +12V are grouped, +5V grouped, etc. Then all the wires are criss-crossed down the cable until they land in the correct positions on the 24-pin at the motherboard.

Take a look at your PCIe and EPS12V connectors now. They both have a row of +12V and a row of ground wires, but the polarities are reversed. And yet they use the same modular interface on the PSU. Same thing is done. The pin out on the modular interface is one way or the other and for one set of the cables, they have to criss-cross half the cables to get the connection correct on the other end.

An example of cable incompatibility:

Corsair's HX650 and AX Gold use a pin-out unique to those models. That's because Seasonic designed the modular interface and used a PCB layout that's standard for them.

Corsair started using CWT for PSUs and they had their own PCB design with their own pin out. So cables for, let's say, an HX1050, would not be the same as an AX850.

Corsair convinced Seasonic to change their pin-out to match that of the CWT products, but Seasonic refused to also change the 24-pin pin-out so the AX860 and AX760 have unique 24-pin cables that don't work with any of the CWT built product.

Then Corsair looked to Flextronics to build the AX1200. Flextronics used the pin-out that CWT uses for the 24-pin, but all of the other connectors? Unique to the AX1200.

Finally, Corsair standardized what cable pin-out would be used for ALL power supplies moving forward. This is what's called "Type 3" cables and what you would find on an RM, HX, HXi and AXi today.

Edited by jonnyguru

• 1 year later...
I am having the very same issue.. let me start by thanking you for helping me realize i am NOT mad.. i have unplugged the PSU from the wall and they still remain lit and buzz a bit.. the fans are off, just their LEDs.. same issue.. please tell me you figured out a solution.. i originally thought it was a bios issue, but nope.. im thinking it has more to do with the fans... AGH!!! make it stop

• 3 years later...