Corsair Community

Connecting 9 ML fans

emperor74

Hello

First time builder here and I need some help.

I have 9 RGB ML fans that I am not sure how to set up and it's gotten confusing for me.

I'm planning on hooking 6 of these ML fans to the MSI corsair connector on my motherboard using the corsair fan hub which, I believe, would eliminate the need for a lightening node pro for said 6 fans. Here is where the confusion is for me - I am not sure how to connect the other 3 fans. I will have a pushpull config on my h150i pro with 6 fans, 3 of which will connect to MSI connector on MOBO with the 3 case fans and I am not sure how I can connect the other 3 fans infront of the radiator.

Do I need the lightening pro in this case? Maybe a second fan hub? someone walk me through this please.

P.S. Can't afford a commander pro at the moment so I have to make do with what I have.

Thanks

Hi there,

You would need a lighting node pro, yes - 9 fans is too much for a single fan hub. Now, if you must use the JCORSAIR header (which is possible), there are 3rd party fan hub splitters available that would allow you to put two fan hubs on the JCORSAIR header.

BUT ... TBH ... go with the LNP. The available effects are much, much, much richer in iCUE than they are in Mystic Light.

How did you wind up with 9 ML-RGB fans and no Lighting Node Pro? Should be on in any 120mm triple pack or 140mm dual pack. You are also going to need a second RGB Lighting Hub. That is lighting power. No way around that.

The Jcorsair header is not an equivalent option to using the LNP. It treats your fans like a simple LED strip and I am note sure if can handle 9 fans. At 4 LEDs per fan and 36 total, it probably works but you will have nowhere near the options available in iCUE. You have to run it anyway for the H150i.

How did you wind up with 9 ML-RGB fans and no Lighting Node Pro? Should be on in any 120mm triple pack or 140mm dual pack. You are also going to need a second RGB Lighting Hub. That is lighting power. No way around that.

The Jcorsair header is not an equivalent option to using the LNP. It treats your fans like a simple LED strip and I am note sure if can handle 9 fans. At 4 LEDs per fan and 36 total, it probably works but you will have nowhere near the options available in iCUE. You have to run it anyway for the H150i.

Sorry, I don't know how I've managed to convey that I have a single lnp and hub. I have plenty, I'm just really confused on how to connect all of them and be able to control their speed.

Thanks

Hi there,

You would need a lighting node pro, yes - 9 fans is too much for a single fan hub. Now, if you must use the JCORSAIR header (which is possible), there are 3rd party fan hub splitters available that would allow you to put two fan hubs on the JCORSAIR header.

BUT ... TBH ... go with the LNP. The available effects are much, much, much richer in iCUE than they are in Mystic Light.

I have plenty of LNPs and hubs on hand, if you recommend all fans be connected to iCue, can you please guide me through how I can connect all 9 fans to iCue without a commander pro? Also, how would i be able to control fan speeds without a commander pro? Im guessing through the mobo somehow?

Would really appreciate your help!

Thanks

You would control the fan speeds from the motherboard. The RGB would be controlled by the Lighting Node Pro. Fans to a Fan Hub. Fan Hub to a port on the LNP. You don't need a Commander Pro to control the RGB, just for fan speeds, temp probes and USB ports.

Take a look at the RGB FAQ linked in my signature.

H150i will take care of speed control for three fans. Those will be controllable through the cooler tab in iCUE. The other 6 go to the motherboard. The how and where for that depend on your board. You will need a couple of PWM splitters.

You would control the fan speeds from the motherboard. The RGB would be controlled by the Lighting Node Pro. Fans to a Fan Hub. Fan Hub to a port on the LNP. You don't need a Commander Pro to control the RGB, just for fan speeds, temp probes and USB ports.

Makes sense now. Thank you!

H150i will take care of speed control for three fans. Those will be controllable through the cooler tab in iCUE. The other 6 go to the motherboard. The how and where for that depend on your board. You will need a couple of PWM splitters.

I have the MSI z390 Ace, what would I need PWM splitters for?

Thanks

So I'll do this for 6 fans - what about the 3 fans connected to the aio? I get that the pwm connector will be plugged into the aio but what about rgb control? Where do the 3 addressable rgb cables go for each fan? I imagine that I'll plug those rgb connectors to a second a hub, second hub to second led channel on LNP, LNP with the two hubs connected to it to the usb 2.0 header on my mobo?

Thanks

Edited by emperor74

So I'll do this for 6 fans - what about the 3 fans connected to the aio? I get that the pwm connector will be plugged into the aio but what about rgb control? Where do the 3 addressable rgb cables go for each fan? I imagine that I'll plug those rgb connectors to a second a hub, second hub to second led channel on LNP, LNP with the two hubs connected to it to the usb 2.0 header on my mobo?

Thanks

Yup, exactly.