Corsair Community

h150i pro CPU spikes

Antixs

Hi,

Just installed new motherboard today and I am getting random CPU temp spikes really high temps when idle.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ijAU7LV2PNcq90bzc4THBqRaLowU0vds

CPU- i7-8700k

Motherboard: rog strix z370-e gaming

Cooler h150i pro

I have reapplied thermal paste 4 times still same, I have had CPU temp spike into 90c when playing path of exile for 5 mins

I can't load/watch that video. However, the first troubleshooting step should be to isolate CPU temp from coolant temp (H150i Temp).

When you are sitting on the desktop, what is the H150i Temp in Link or iCUE? What is the approximate room temperature? Most people have a resting coolant temp of +4-7C above their room temperature.

What is the CPU package temp when sitting at the desktop? The cores never really stop moving, but you should see a package temp within a few degrees of the coolant temp, once the start-up cycle finishes and things settle down.

What happened to H150i Temp when you were gaming? It should have only gone up 1-2C in just a few minutes.

Most likely you need to do some BIOS tweaking of the CPU behavior for a 8700K. This is true of all Kaby/Coffee Lake chips, no matter what cooler you strap on. With MCE on in the BIOS, you could easily pull 1.40v playing a game on otherwise default settings. Can you see the peak Vcore value in Link?

I can't load/watch that video. However, the first troubleshooting step should be to isolate CPU temp from coolant temp (H150i Temp).

When you are sitting on the desktop, what is the H150i Temp in Link or iCUE? What is the approximate room temperature? Most people have a resting coolant temp of +4-7C above their room temperature.

What is the CPU package temp when sitting at the desktop? The cores never really stop moving, but you should see a package temp within a few degrees of the coolant temp, once the start-up cycle finishes and things settle down.

What happened to H150i Temp when you were gaming? It should have only gone up 1-2C in just a few minutes.

Most likely you need to do some BIOS tweaking of the CPU behavior for a 8700K. This is true of all Kaby/Coffee Lake chips, no matter what cooler you strap on. With MCE on in the BIOS, you could easily pull 1.40v playing a game on otherwise default settings. Can you see the peak Vcore value in Link?

My idle temps are all over the place within a second it can jump up from 40 to 62 and back to 45 then 50+ all within a couple of seconds.

Games can push it to 80+ within 5 mins I always stop scared of it getting higher.

Unfortunately, Kaby/Coffee Lake CPUs are so inherently jumpy, it's difficult to tell a bad cooler mount from normal behavior at the default settings.

The very first thing you should do is figure out how much Vcore is being applied to the CPU. This value should pop up in Link and a maximum recorded value will appear in the graphing section. I am expecting a higher than needed value and that would explain the temps.

Another way to do this is to see if coolant temp rises. If it doesn't move at all, then you probably have bad contact between the cold plate and CPU. Use a light CPU stress test (like Intel XTU) and run it for 5 minutes. Coolant temp should go about +5C with medium fan speed. I would prefer to get the Vcore sorted first.

Unfortunately, Kaby/Coffee Lake CPUs are so inherently jumpy, it's difficult to tell a bad cooler mount from normal behavior at the default settings.

The very first thing you should do is figure out how much Vcore is being applied to the CPU. This value should pop up in Link and a maximum recorded value will appear in the graphing section. I am expecting a higher than needed value and that would explain the temps.

Another way to do this is to see if coolant temp rises. If it doesn't move at all, then you probably have bad contact between the cold plate and CPU. Use a light CPU stress test (like Intel XTU) and run it for 5 minutes. Coolant temp should go about +5C with medium fan speed. I would prefer to get the Vcore sorted first.

I am using CUE not sure to see Vcore graph, I have watched it for a bit it constantly changes 0.70- 1.12 1.30 0.67 0,98 1.15 all about the same within seconds nothing over 1.31

The Pump temp does go up slowly when the stress test it moved up from 30c to 35c within a minute.

I think we need to look at your BIOS settings. If you have not already read it, google up the Asus Kaby Lake Overclock Guide from the Asus Edge site. Yes, I know that was for z270, but it is the same. Can you tell your basic settings now? All side fault? MCE on or off? Auto voltage? Or a specific adaptive value?

Check your CPU Usage in Task Manager, iCUE is sitting up to 20% at times with the May 5th update.

This issue predates the iCUE version causing this for some people. CPU spikes always will be program, voltage, or physical contact related in origin. The cooler itself can’t cause it. Fortunately, I think we are looking at general Coffee Lake, Asus Enhannced sassiness, which is cureable.

Having same issue with Ryzen 1700 on Krait Gaming x370 board as if the pump isn't pumping right or not enough coolant in radiator

That's pretty unclear. How about you start a new thread where you describe your specific issue/concern in detail.

Some things we'd be interested in would be:

- Exactly what temps are you seeing?

- What are you doing when you see those temps?

- What is the temperature of the coolant?

- How quickly does the coolant temperature increase/decrease?

That's pretty unclear. How about you start a new thread where you describe your specific issue/concern in detail.

Some things we'd be interested in would be:

- Exactly what temps are you seeing?

- What are you doing when you see those temps?

- What is the temperature of the coolant?

- How quickly does the coolant temperature increase/decrease?

SO the coolant temps range from 30C-40C depending on cpu load and what happens is while my CPU is idling around 2-5% the package (my ryzen 1700) will spike up to 45C-50C and immediately go back down to 35C-32C and will keeps repeating it every 20-30 seconds. the coolant temps take dont spike up nearly as fast and stay pretty consistent. My Ryzen was OC'd to 4.0GHz 1.39v i down-clocked it to 3.9GHz 1.35v just to be safe. I mean the temps are definitely much better then stock cooler and i wasnt even able to hit 4GHz OC before the H150i but was wondering it normal for my CPU temps to spike up like that while idling?

SO the coolant temps range from 30C-40C depending on cpu load and what happens is while my CPU is idling around 2-5% the package (my ryzen 1700) will spike up to 45C-50C and immediately go back down to 35C-32C and will keeps repeating it every 20-30 seconds. the coolant temps take dont spike up nearly as fast and stay pretty consistent. My Ryzen was OC'd to 4.0GHz 1.39v i down-clocked it to 3.9GHz 1.35v just to be safe. I mean the temps are definitely much better then stock cooler and i wasnt even able to hit 4GHz OC before the H150i but was wondering it normal for my CPU temps to spike up like that while idling?

That sounds pretty normal. All of the current gen processors have spiky temps like that.

What's your max coolant temp under load, especially mixed (CPU/GPU) load? (you may have to play some games to find out).

That sounds pretty normal. All of the current gen processors have spiky temps like that.

What's your max coolant temp under load, especially mixed (CPU/GPU) load? (you may have to play some games to find out).

when i do stress thing through cpu-z it gets up to 70C max in cpu side, didnt check the coolant temps under load

Just update I fixed my temp by replacing the backplate that comes with AIO it felt like it was fitted correctly but turned out it was like a millimeter to lose. Once I placed it with a custom one temps have been normal nothing over 60c while gaming in far cry 5 :D

Thanks for the Help DevBiker and c-attack appreciated

It still spikes up and down really fast when ideal but like Dev said that is settings in bios which I will need to sort out in future :D

Archived