Corsair Community

Failed 5.08 firmware update through toolbox

stuffnstuff

Hi,

I just attempted to update from 5.06 to 5.08 through the toolbox. I am on Windows 7 with a Corsair Neutron 240GB SSD.

The firmware downloaded and was three quarters complete when it terminated and Windows shut down. As per the instructions, I did not interrupt the update. Windows cannot bootup. The bios does not recognize the SSD. Did the firmware update install just ruin my SSD? I had some quirky issues related to performance and thought the firmware might address the issue. But now it appears to be dead. What can I do to try and fix it or do I need to call customer service for an RMA?

After Windows shut down on my SSD, when I attempted to boot back up, the SSD wasn't recognized in the bios, but my mechanical drive was working. So I was using that temporarily.

Today, I decided to unplug the mechanical drive and changed the SATA port for the SSD. The SSD was able to boot back up in Windows.

I checked the firmware and its still listed as 5.06. I had some performance related issues earlier. Odd problems when I used a Web browser for extended periods, it would at first behave fine then at some point, my CPU utlization would max out and the browser would be sluggish (this happened in Chrome and Firefox). This might or might not be SSD related though I'm trying to isolate one component at a time.

It's too early to tell if they performance issues will crop up again. If they do, is it advisable to back up my data and use the tool to update to 5.08? It didn't work the first time, so if I should run the update, what can I do to mitigate the firmware update failure that I experienced the last time?

Hi Toasted,

SSD is plugged into an Intel SATA III port (mobo is ASUS P8H67-M PRO/CSM).

The PC is AHCI enabled with an Intel 6 Series C200 AHCI Controller (Device Manager shows it's working)

I'm not sure if I'm using the MSAHCI drivers, what's the benefit of switching?

ATTO benchmark screenshot attached.

Thanks.

ATTO.png.a93a4c222509007f310e839d68506e1f.png

Archived