Corsair Community

Force GT can't work in my Macbook Pro 15 early 2011

Hello, everyone, I am from Taiwan.

My English is poor, but I try to describe my problem.

I bought a Force GT 120G in July 22.

Test it in desktop(Win7 X64 - Z68),it runs no problem(ATTO: read=555,write=515).I was very happy with it.

The,I install Force GT into Macbook Pro's hard drive,the original hard drive to move the location of CD drive.

Reformat Force GT on OSX 10.7, in that process it will not normally stagnation.

In system information it runs with SATA3 6G, but it is completely unable to normally access.(Serious delay or no response, even in basic read/write file.)

PS:I did not use any SSD optimization in OSX Lion.

If I install Force GT into the position of CD drive. It can work normally,but with STAT3 3G.

I think perhaps the macbook pro hard drive cable problem.

How can it work normally with SATA3 6G in Macbook Pro 15 early 2011?

Thank you for reading.

Some 2011 MBP might have a bad sata cable and does not work well with 6Gb/s bus. It can be fixed by replacing the cable or even with wrapping the cable with aluminum foil.

This is only a problem with the early 2011 17" MBP.

Also, the Superdrive connection can support SATA 6.0 but apple has disabled it down to SATA 3.0 for some reason. For best performence with your SATA III drive you should install it in the regular SATA drive bay.

All early model macbook pro super drives only run on a 3.0Gbps connection, apple fixed this in the later models. There is no way you can fix this unless you replace the whole macbook pro. Also, 17" models have faulty cables + interference.

There seems no way to run on 2011 15" MBP...?

I considered selling it. So sad...

Most SSDs don't work well with macbook pros because apple sucks, lol. Check out how people are also having problems with the intel 510 and other competitors. :p: I personally swapped the force 3 for the 510, and the 510 is only getting 280-300 read, 200 write....terrible speeds, really wish the force 3/gt worked.

Currently apple will only provide support for Sata II SSDs because that is all they make atm.

It might be related to "Link Power Management" LPM, which is problem for some users also in Windows systems. It can be be disabled via registry setting if using Intel AHCI driver. Windows AHCI driver has this disabled.

Unfortunately it's not possible to disable LPM in Mac OS X, but there is a hack to prevent it going to ALPM Slumber state.

Just google for macbook ssd lpm state hack.

• 3 months later...

It's just working fine in my MacBook Pro 13" 2011.

I got a 240GB Force GT installed 2 days ago, it works like a charm:biggrin: as you can see in this movie:

Maybe the thing is that I installed it in another way than usual.

I was making a Time Machine backup of my MBP HDD, but I didn't want to wait installing the SSD. So I hooked up an external sata to usb case to my mother's MacBook Air and installed lion through a Lion Recovery Disk which you can make in this way: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4848?viewlocale=en_US . When the installation was finished and the Time Machine backup was finished, I switched my HDD with the SSD. I rebooted the MBP in recovery mode and chose to restore the Time Machine backup.

Hope the people that experience problems can try it in a way through another computer like I did, so that it will work for them too.

----------------

UPDATE!!

A colleague of mine had the same issues as everyone here with 2 other brands of SSD's. I advised him to use his 11" MacBook Air to install the drives, just as I did. It solved the problem for him with both SSD's.

I think something in the EFI of the MBP that it won't work. It seems like it's blocking SSD's.

So this is a solution for everyone (I think). Find somebody with an 11" Air and hook up your drive externally to install the OS and to get it to work in your MBP!

I don't have a Force GT but do have the Force 3. Here's how I did the work.

Updated the firmware on the drive to 1.3.3.

Made sure the EFI was all up to date on my early 2011 15" Macbook pro.

Secure Erased the SSD.

Used CCC to clone original HD to SSD.

Booted to external SSD

Shutdown the system and swapped the original HDD with the SSD.

Booted in 30 seconds.

System Preferences and changed power setting and set the startup disk to the SSD.

Turned of the SMS and hibernation

Reboot 12 secs.

58 application launched in under 5 seconds.

Don't bother running the speed tests it's only a number and I don't believe the apps that test the mac are accurate.

Running dd in terminal I get 500MB/s+ on sequential reads and writes.

• 3 months later...
I don't have a Force GT but do have the Force 3.

Running dd in terminal I get 500MB/s+ on sequential reads and writes.

May I ask you the full dd command you used to test this transfer rate? I have exactly the same configuration as yours.

Archived