Corsair Community

Mac Firmware Update

vasyap

Hi!

Mac guys, I believe you should be out of there, couldn't you please provide any information about how can I update firmware on my F120 (currently 1.1) to version 2.0?

I have tried almost everything. I've connected it to my PC with SATA controller and Windows 7 — "no drives found". I've booted Mac with Vista's setup DVD and went in command prompt to flash drive and ran update utility right there — "no drives found". I've installed Vista in BootCamp partition and boot from there and swapped msahci/io[somethingdontrecall] — "no drives found".

I must say, under Mac this SSD (with 1.1a FW) is performing much better than on Windows — actually I have only one problem, kernel panic when going from hibernation. On Vista, I'am getting occasional random freezes right after boot, walking from sleep and during running system (btw these could be Vista problems as well).

Hey, Macs, will erasing drive completely (with MBR sector as well) do the trick? Or are there simpler ways of firmware upgrade?

And another question to Corsair: will RMA work for Russia?

I have an F60 and I had a similar problem. I was using the GPT partition table and two Linux file systems (ext2, ext4). Windows detected my drive (unrecognizable) filesystems, but the utility refused. I ended up creating a mbr partition table on the drive and a 10GB ntfs partition. After doing this, the utility "saw" the drive and upgraded the firmware. OS X also uses a gpt partition table.

Luckily for me, I just got the drive I the only data was what I just copied from my old drive. I suspect that the utility would have detected the disk with the gpt table, had I had a ntfs partition.

Luckily for me, my drive is also almost new (2 weeks) and I can perform similar operation (complete erase using MBRTool or MBRWork from Hiren's BootCD) and later re-installing OS X there from scratch.

Are you telling me this will do the job?

Unfortunately it didn't!

I went across complete erasing all partitions, wiping GPT as well, installed Vista x86 with Apple drivers, but still getting "no drives found" in updater.

Right now I am burning Windows 7 dvd to try it, but almost hopeless.

Have you tried updating from Win 7 PC (BIOS instead of EFI)?

This is what I did:

From a linux live cd, command line:

parted /dev/sda

Using /dev/sda

(parted)mklabel

msdos

I then used fdisk (linux) to create the 10GB partition.

If you don't understand this, don't try it. You need to understand what is going on.

pyther, I understand you, however, what you proposing is no longer needed.

I have tried my MacBook Pro unibody late 2008, desktop PC with Win7 and 2007-year ASUS F3T with Windows 7. On these 3 systems, I was getting "no drives found" message.

Then I put SSD (with Windows 7 installed when drive was in ASUS laptop) into my wife's MacBook Pro 2009 - and updater magically found the drive. Now I have another problem - when I click "download", download begins, going until exactly sector 852 - and then freeze. After a few seconds, Windows freezes completely, even mouse cursor isn't moving.

How to solve this? Damn, I have spent a whole day trying to update firmware and still have no success.

Also, should I ever do this? I've found on OCZ forum guy with MBP 2010 who updated his SandForce-based OCZ SSD to newest firmware and now his Mac freezes for about 10 seconds periodically (several times an hour). Is it consistent problem, could someone report/confirm such behavior? Maybe my problems with updated is just a sign?..

Have you tried the alternative firmware? The pdf guide says that the main firmware file may fail. I would review the pdf. Beyond that I'm afraid I can't help. Mine upgrade was fairly simple once I got a valid mbr table and ntfs partition on the drive.

I must say, that I am probably NOT using AHCI. In Device Manager, under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" I have only "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". In fact, there is no BIOS so I can nowhere "turn AHCI on", but it should be on, I believe. Is there a way to "force" install AHCI driver?

Ok, my problem solved. I have just put SSD back to my 2008 mac and updater found drive and installed update in less than 20 seconds. I think that on wife's mbp (mbp 13" built in 2009) problem was in slow SATA-I (instead of SATA-II) controller.

I must say that Windows 7 is now working much faster than before, and no freezes so far.

What to do with a Macintosh :

- I have backup my datas first on Mac OS 10.6.5

- I have boot my Mac with a Microsoft seven DVD.

- I have install seven.

- I have install bootcamp and Microsoft AHCI pilots.

- I have activate Super Admin count.

- I have open Super Admin session

- I have see my corsair SSD and install Corsair 2.0 update

- And i have reinstall Mac OS 10.6

Thats all

I must say, that I am probably NOT using AHCI. In Device Manager, under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" I have only "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller". In fact, there is no BIOS so I can nowhere "turn AHCI on", but it should be on, I believe. Is there a way to "force" install AHCI driver?

Yes, when you go to change the ssd pilot, you must do it manually, and unactivate hardware compatibility. You will see all pilots. Choose now Microsoft, and you will have the choice to SATA AHCI 1.0 pilot.

That's all

I just did update on my macbook pro mid 2010 from 1.1. Worked fine on 7 x86 in bootcamp (had some issues not recognizing the drive, but after update to last bootcamp and starting the update tool as admin i saw it). Started update (my drive accepted only the alternate package), system froze at 850, had to shut down it manually. After reboot i opened again software and firmware is now 2.0. Tested deep sleep mode on Leopard, working fine right now.

Looks a bit faster now (had some scattering issue before time to time).

Will update you if i got news..

Thank you

• 5 months later...
I just did update on my macbook pro mid 2010 from 1.1. Worked fine on 7 x86 in bootcamp (had some issues not recognizing the drive, but after update to last bootcamp and starting the update tool as admin i saw it). Started update (my drive accepted only the alternate package), system froze at 850, had to shut down it manually. After reboot i opened again software and firmware is now 2.0. Tested deep sleep mode on Leopard, working fine right now.

Looks a bit faster now (had some scattering issue before time to time).

Will update you if i got news..

Thank you

Did you do anything else? I have a F120 that came with fw. version 2 from the fabric and Snow Leopard is freezing on me everytime it wakes from deep sleep. It is so frustrating because the MBP (13") is new and the SSD too.

Thank you.

Archived