Corsair Community

Windows fail to start and BSOD with new Vengeance RAM

shlervik

Hello there folks!

I recently purchased a new pair of Vengeance RAM sticks (2x4GB, CML8GX3M2A1600C9) to boost the performance of my computer with a GA-P55-US3L motherboard, but I am having a hard time getting my computer to work with them.

At first, Windows didn't start at all, but after some tweaking in BIOS, I've been able to make it start with XMS enabled, 1600MHz, either 8-8-8-24-48-2T and 9-10-9-27-48-2T, 1.5V.

However, I am having serious stability issues and get bluescreens at random.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions to make my system work better with them? My OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employee
Please go the down load page for your MB and see what the latest version is an compare it to what is listed to be sure it is the latest, then all you should have to do is load setup defaults and enable XMP. If the system is still not stable I would test the memory one module at a time with http://www.metest.org to be sure one is not failing.

Thank you for the suggestion, it didn't occur to me to run memtest on a memory just taken out of the box.

Memtest finds 100k errors even before finishing the first pass on one of the memories, while the other passes flawlessly during multiple attempts in both slots, so I guess I was unlucky and just got a faulty memory.

I'm now in contact with the store from which I purchased them from and am expecting a replacement shortly.

However, I've noticed a difference in the two different slots when testing the faulty memory. One seems to be much more sensitive to errors, as my computer often refuses to show even the startup screen when the bad memory is connected, while in the other slot the errors usually come when Windows is trying to start.

I tried testing my old memories as well, as I know that one of those sticks have some minor issues as well. Interesting enough, memtest only found errors on the one when it was connected to the "sensitive" slot.

Is this something to be worried about?

I tried testing my old memories as well, as I know that one of those sticks have some minor issues as well. Interesting enough, memtest only found errors on the one when it was connected to the "sensitive" slot.

Is this something to be worried about?

If you have the same issue with a new kit that would suggest the MB is the root of your problem.

It would be easy to figure out...Just take the "failing stick" and put in another slot and re-run it through memtest. If the "bad " stick passes, then you have your answer

I feel I have to clarify my last post.

I have tested each memory stick in both slots and the new, faulty one, gets tons of errors on both, while the other new one passes without any errors after getting tested for at least 6 hours in each slot.

There is no doubt that one of the new sticks is faulty, it's just that I get a computer failure more quickly if I put the "bad" stick in a specific slot.

Testing one of my old sticks in the same slot gets me a few errors as well, but it's twin and the "good" new stick passes without any problems.

The "bad" old stick doesn't get any errors in the other slot though.

In other words, my motherboard is innocent, but I am curious to why that specific slot is more sensitive to a faulty memory.

Archived