Corsair Community

HX1200i and PCIe Cable...

Bigbrother

I was going to buy an AX1200i but it seems overkill and since the HX1200i provides the same power I decided to go with this one instead however I have a question and I need some one that knows this to give me a sound answer. Here goes...

Can a single daisy chained (2x 6+2 pin connectors) PCIe cable, on the HX1200i provide 275-300w (23-25amps) of power to a single R9 290? I have 3 of these cards in crossfire on a 1000w PSU on SEPERATE PCIe cables not daisy chained and they work fine. However I want a higher wattage just in case I add more components later etc... Can one single daisy chained PCIe cable handle this kind of power for one card?

I could not get an answer to this question in another topic so I wrote a new one... PLease I need an answer!!!!

Thanks for the answers if any...

Can a single daisy chained (2x 6+2 pin connectors) PCIe cable, on the HX1200i provide 275-300w (23-25amps) of power to a single R9 290?

jonnyguru is the Corsair PSU Product Manager and he says you should use 2 x PCIe cables per GPU.

The sleeving isn't going to melt off. The pins are the weakest link, they'll overheat and cause some discoloration and sometimes melting of the connetors. But the wires never get hot enough to melt anything.

Pigtail connectors are fine for GPUs with a 6-pin and an 8-pin as those cards shouldn't be pulling anything more than 225W from the PCIe cables, but certainly not anything with a pair of 8-pin connectors.

jonnyguru is the Corsair PSU Product Manager and he says you should use 2 x PCIe cables per GPU.

So you think I would need two separate cables (not daisy chained) for one R9 290?

But then it defeats the whole purpose of buying a Corsair PSU as I would only be able to connect TWO R9 290's because the HX1200i only has 4 PCIe (2 connections per cable) cables... It does not make sense?

The only Corsair PSU that can work in this case is an AX1200i (for 3x R9 290's)...

Jonnyguru where are you?

The HX1200i will come with 4 x PCI-E cables that will have 6pin and 8pin on each cable. There is no need to daisy chain for your R9 290. One PCI-E cable per card, so one is to one.

http://cdn5.thinkcomputers.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/5.jpg

Dear Greybeard thank you for your reply. The PCIe cables that come with the HX1200i are daisy chained (pig tailed), meaning the 8 pin and 6 pin are on the same cable.

Since I have 3x R9 290's I have to use a single cable (with 8 pin and 6 pin on one cable) for each of them (so 3 cables)... However can the 8 pin and 6 pin on one cable deliver 225W of power (+75W from the slot itself) to the card...

So I am wondering that the daisy chained cable can actually provide 225W of power.... Can it?

Edited by Bigbrother

Yup, those are pig tail PCI-E(6+8pin) connector, in which will be able to handle a power draw up to 300W, so you'll be fine with one cable to one card.

Great... I have placed my order...

Btw you need to get more reviews of this product out there... There are hardly any...

• 1 year later...

Please someone can tell me where to get this pig tail PCI-E(6+8pin) . I cannot find it here in the corsair shop and I don't want to order something wrong.

I have a HX1200i and it came with for PCI-E cables that have at the end a 8pin + (6+2)

I think it's called pigtail and comes with the original box of HX1200i

Pretty please if someone can give me the direkt link here on the site to order it?

If i search in google for pig tail PCI-E(6+8pin) i cannot find sellers.

• 3 years later...
So this is applicable for every corsiar psu . Say RMx750 has single rail with two pci-e with pig tail for 4 connector. Is it safe to run 3080 draws 335 watts from single 8 pin pig tail or its always recommended to run another cable for this card. If mb is supplying 75 watts then both the pci-e supply only 250 watts

the 75W is a spec that i personally never saw any card reach.

At full bore if i see a power draw of 45 -50W that's already a lot. that power comes from the motherboard 24 pin, so needless to say it's far from being the shortest, most efficient way to power the GPU.

It's always better to run two cables even if technically the pigtail should be able to supply it all.

Some users have faced instability under heavy load on power hungry cards using pigtails, problems solved by running more cables straigth from the PSU (usually 3090s).

TL:DR Can do, not ideal.