Corsair Community

Installed Link, fans are now louder

HappyGobin

Alright, I realized that when I installed Link, it took over the fans and automatically making them run on a setting other than 'Quiet.' After that, I removed Link, realized I no longer had my original fan curves before I installed Link, did a System Restore and still not sure I have my original fan curves back.

Is there any way to reinstall the H100i's original fan curves and settings without Link?

By frigidity I meant that it seemed to increase or slow fan speed for no reason at all while before Link, it was more consistent.

After uninstalling Link, should I worry that the default settings for the cooling have either been deleted or overwritten?

No, I didn't create a custom fan curve. And I didn't see the setting in Link when it was installed.

I have shut down my computer after uninstalling it. Another thing to note: Now on boot-up, as the fans are going at 100%, the H100i LED will go from pink to red to dim red and the fans will pitch down for a second. Is that cause of concern? How about the red color?

No telling as we don't know what you changed. It may be a cause for concern it may not.

You'd need to install Link or iCue to get the coolant temperature.

It's really difficult to tell you anything definitive when all that we have from you are very vague, general statements.

You also need to check to make sure that your fan is powered correctly. See section B in the Liquid Cooler FAQ.

I don't believe I can see my coolant temperature on ICUE since I have a H100i v1. Or can I?

Hmmm ... I don't think so. You'd need Link for that. And I believe that one is SATA powered so the power issue isn't relevant.

Whether you like it or not, you need Link to troubleshoot and control your cooler. The default curve (Quiet, IIRC) won't go faster than 60%. With Link installed, I believe the default curve is Balanced - which will go faster. And that's indicative of a warm cooler.

Again, being specific about what's going on and not going around uninstalling things before you get answers - or, in this case, specific pointed questions as you've only supplied generalities - doesn't help either. While you are at it, fill out your system specs too.

Honestly, since this trouble started with Link, I'd rather not chance it. I know I'm being stubborn but I'm also being anxious about this because I 'think' the fan curves are gone after uninstalling Link, and my only evidence being that the fans don't become slightly louder when I go to certain websites like Reuters or when Kaspersky is doing a full scan. And my only evidence that the fan curves were even removed are from posts like this:

So I actually have no real proof anything is wrong or removed. My own temps give no evidence to be so anxious over anything: https://imgur.com/a/w6l84Wg

And as we speak, the H100i LED is now green again.

Sorry to have wasted your time and if I have any trouble, I'll come back. Thanks so very much replying so quickly and consistantly, I really do appreciate that.

OK ... that reddit post is completely, totally bogus nonsense.

At no time, in no way, did Link EVER mess with BIOS fan curves. It does change the fan curves for Corsair AIOs and devices like the Commander Pro. In fact, there are more complaints on the forum that it doesn't control motherboard connected fans than not.

What he removed in that post, by the way, is used by the Installshield Uninstaller to remove Link. It has absolutely, positively nothing at all to do with Link except to uninstall it. That's it.

He also shows - pretty clearly - that he had no understanding of the thermodynamics of liquid cooling. The fan curves follow the liquid temperature for a reason that's based physics and that's the appropriate thing for a liquid cooler.

His comments on setting the fan speed to the CPU temperature is, again, completely incorrect. Setting your fans to the CPU temperature will make your fans ramp up and slow down constantly. It's also incorrect - the fans do not cool the CPU, they cool the coolant. So they should respond to coolant temperature. It works just like the radiator in your car - the fan on your car's radiator doesn't respond to your engine temperature at all; instead it responds to and turns on based on the coolant temperature.

Now, should there be a default fan curve when you screw up the settings? (Because, to be honest, setting the fan curve for a liquid cooler to the CPU temperature is screwing up the settings and setting it incorrectly.) Probably. But ... how much is Corsair supposed to protect someone from their own stupidity? If you do something stupid and wrong, at some level, you need to take responsibility for your own mistakes. But that's not very common these days - no one wants to admit mistakes and take responsibility for them. His rant is, IMHO, just that - he screwed up because he didn't understand the physics of how this stuff works and rather than trying to learn from his mistake, he blames others. Because, of course, the possibility that he screwed up never occurred to him.

Now ... and I'm trying to recall here ... the original H100 may always write your settings to the cooler. The v2 kept a default fan curve and only overrode it when you specified. (it's difficult, sometimes, to keep the functionality of the different generations straight when they have the same name ... but I digress).

Finally, his rant that people should "just kill themselves" is pretty juvenile (at best). At that point, I just shut it off. I cannot say what I think of this guy after a rant like that on this forum - it would be (justifiably) moderated.

Alright, thank you very much for the information.

Of course people should be responsible for their own actions and apparently this guy didn't see it that way, especially with how he frames his argument with such language. I just want to see your opinion on his methods. Apologies for not vetting the video or giving a warning.

Honestly, at this point, I think I'll use Link later on. If I do download it and make my own fan curves, can I exit out of Link and my fan curves will remain custom?

As long as the temperature source is the cooler, yes. When the temperature source is the cooler, the MCU in the pump can handle everything.

If you need to save the settings to the device - and I think that particular model automatically does it but just in case - you'll have the option in the settings menu. Check the cooler FAQ for the steps to do this.

As for vetting the video ... no problem. I'm a big boy and that kind of language isn't new to me at all. But it is inappropriate and really showcases his maturity. You can make an argument that there should be a default fan curve ... I can see both sides of that. You can also make the argument that Link (and iCue) shouldn't even allow you to change the temperature source from the coolant (which would probably totally get under his skin). But you can make those arguments in a mature, rational way - and even use some NSFW language - without descending into an immature rant where you sound like a spoiled, entitled little know-it-all brat.

Alright, awesome, I'll look all into that. Many thank yous for listening me rant and get over-anxious about all this stuff.

And really, you're to be commended for replying so often and consistently. I really do appreciate that and I'm sure everyone else here does too. Any way I can show my thanks? Like upvote or recommendation?

Alright, awesome, I'll look all into that. Many thank yous for listening me rant and get over-anxious about all this stuff.

And really, you're to be commended for replying so often and consistently. I really do appreciate that and I'm sure everyone else here does too. Any way I can show my thanks? Like upvote or recommendation?

Saying thanks is enough! You can add to reputation ... but I'm not entirely sure it actually tracks it accurately. :sigh!:

Anyways ... if you have more questions, we'll be here to help. I don't know if you've noticed but there are quite a few folks on this forum that are here answering questions and helping folks. It's what we're here for. :cool:

Archived