Corsair Community

EDIT: I just realized I accidentally made my title really vague, I forgot to finish it before submitting :( Sorry!

Hey, I'll try to keep this short and simple.

I'm finally putting together a PC build based off of the Corsair 280x case. I REALLY liked the 280x that was on display at Computex 2018, and I'm going to try to replicate it as best I can.

The PC in question

So far, doing as much research as I could I've deducted that the

Case is the Corsair Crystal 280x (obviously)

RAM is Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (I'm just going 2x8GB, can't afford 4x8 like in the picture)

COOLER Either the H110i Pro or the H115i Pro, both fit on the top of the case, I'll be going with the H115i Pro

FANS The case comes with two LL120 RGB fans, and I'll be getting an additional two LL140 fans for the radiator, like in the Computex build

GPU For the GPU, I'm diverging from the Computex build; I'm going with a single GTX 1080 (I cant afford SLI lol)

CPU Doesn't really matter for the aesthetic part, going with 8700k (need mobo to match)

MOBO Im not sure which motherboard is used, but on PC Part picker I've chosen the Asus ROG Strix Z370G mATX board since it looked cool and was compatible with my build. The problem is, it doesnt have any RGB headers. Would this be an issue? I dont know how the whole RGB wiring works in a PC build.

As for everything else, I have no idea. The motherboard and the LED strips I have no clue, and to my understanding the white cables are custom. Where and how would I know which cables I need to order? I have no idea how to setup the LED strips in relation to the fans or the Lighting Node Pro or the fan hub, it all confuses me :(

thanks for reading :p

You don't need the Aura RGB headers, so you're good. The Corsair RGB has it's own controllers. I suggest that you check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature; it'll explain it all.

Hey, the guide in your signature is extremely helpful, thanks for that. Do you know anything about the custom white cables? How do I know which cables I need to buy? Im a bit new to putting together PC's. Thanks!

Just noticed the cables. You can get custom sleeved cables for the Corsair PSUs on Corsair.com. You didn't specify which PSU you were planning on getting tho.

I purchased an EVGA PSU cause it came bundled with the 1080 :[pouts:

In the picture though, I notice 3 if not more distinct white cables: link

Can you help me identify them?

I'm glad to hear that you are doing a build in a 280x. I'm the guy who built that system.

If it helps here is the build list. If you have any questions let me know.

MSI Z370M Gaming Pro Carbon AC

2x 1080

4X Vengeance Pro RGB White

MP500 240GB ssd

RM850X white (comes with white sleeved cables)

H115i pro

4x LL140

Commander Pro (fan and LED controller)

Corsair LED extension kit

No game drive because demo system

With the LEDs I used 3 of the 4 strips that the kit comes with in the front, rear and bottom of the case. Other than that it is completely using stock install locations and config.

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures of the build!

I'm glad to hear that you are doing a build in a 280x. I'm the guy who built that system.

If it helps here is the build list. If you have any questions let me know.

MSI Z370M Gaming Pro Carbon AC

2x 1080

4X Vengeance Pro RGB White

MP500 240GB ssd

RM850X white (comes with white sleeved cables)

H115i pro

4x LL140

Commander Pro (fan and LED controller)

Corsair LED extension kit

No game drive because demo system

With the LEDs I used 3 of the 4 strips that the kit comes with in the front, rear and bottom of the case. Other than that it is completely using stock install locations and config.

Good luck and I hope to see some pictures of the build!

Woah, talk about information that comes straight from the source.

Would you recommend the MSI z370m Gaming Pro AC over the ASUS Strix z370-G? I have no idea which to go with.

EDIT: When you said MSI z370M Gaming Pro Carbon AC, did you mean the mITX or mATX? The mATX designation is z370m while the mITX designation is z370I , but only the z370I is referred to as "Carbon". Is it the mITX or mATX mobo in the build? Thanks for clarifying!

Is there a Corsair PSU that also comes with white cables, but not as beefy as 850? I'm literally considering returning my EVGA PSU cause Corsair is blowing me away rn, I dont need anywhere near 850 though (~650)

From what I'm reading, you ditched the LL120's that the case comes with and replaced them with LL140's? On top of the LL140's in the H115i

Do I need a commander pro for this setup? I was hoping I could get away with the Lighting Node Pro and RGB Fan Hub that comes with the case and the 2 pack of LL140s.

Thanks for stopping by!

There is a ITX version and a mATX version of the Gaming Pro Carbon AC. There isn't any reason to go with the one over the other we went with the msi board because of availability at the time. So that one is up to you. There is a white 750W version of the RMx but if you don't need that much power we also sell those white cables separately but they only work with our type4 PSUs.

I did ditch the LL120s but only because I thought the 140s would look better.

And you don't have to have a commander pro, the node would work just fine. I would just double check the fan headers on the board you choose.

There is a ITX version and a mATX version of the Gaming Pro Carbon AC. There isn't any reason to go with the one over the other we went with the msi board because of availability at the time. So that one is up to you. There is a white 750W version of the RMx but if you don't need that much power we also sell those white cables separately but they only work with our type4 PSUs.

I did ditch the LL120s but only because I thought the 140s would look better.

And you don't have to have a commander pro, the node would work just fine. I would just double check the fan headers on the board you choose.

To clarify, the one in the Computex build is the matx? Just making sure! If I do choose to go with the mATX MSI z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, does that have the correct fan headers? Thanks.

It has 3 fan headers. The fans on the cooler would be plugged into the cooler. And there's no issue with splitters on those headers so I think you'd be good with the headers on the motherboard.

That said, the Commander Pro is a pretty awesome device and something to seriously consider if you can afford it. You get the extra USB ports and 4 temperature sensors as well as the NoPro functionality and fan controller. And it lets you control your fan curves from the onboard temp sensors (which you can use for case temperature, for example) right from Windows using iCue. Now that I've gotten one, I don't want to have a system without it. BUT ... it's not required. Definitely a nice-to-have tho.

Archived