Corsair Community

MSI pro Gaming Carbon Z370 and Vengeance 3600 DDR4 issues

Piie

Hi

I just put together a new system. Motherboard updated to latest BIOS from MSI, but I cannot get the DDR4 to run at it's stock speed of 3600MHz.

By default, the ram is picked up at 2132Mhz (1066 per channel), and the only place I even see 3600MHz is under the overclocking section, and none of the settings there work - I cannot even enable XMR (which looks like it is showing the correct RAM profile and voltages) - when I enable XMR or even the MSI "Try it" - then I just get a "overclocking settings failed" and I need to reset BIOS settings.

I'm not interested in trying to overclock anything, just trying to get my ram to run at it's stock clockspeed of 3600Mhz (or 1800Mhx per channel)..

Anmyhone know how I can get this working?

Sorry, 2133 is the default speed for DDR4. Your 3600 is the overclock. XMP is a one click overclock preset, but like most overclocking presets it is not guaranteed to work. Probably not what you want to hear, but that is how it goes.

Most of the time you need some tweaking of the System Agent (VCCSA) and CPU VCCIO voltages in the BIOS. What values are set is up the individual board manufacturers. Some overcompensate massively (Asus), but I was surprised to learn some of the Z370 boards don't adjust this at all. That could be where the issue lies. You should be able to run 2x8 @3600 on that board.

Enable XMP, then verify it has set the DRAM frequency to 3600 and the DRAM voltage to 1.35. Scroll down further to find the VCCIO and VCCSA voltage lines. They should be near each other. What value is given? Most likely you need something in the 1.15-1.20v range. Unfortunately, there is no exact value we can give you. This is unique to each CPU. These values are also different in that more voltage is not necessarily more stable but warmer. More can be less stable. You may have to tweak up and down.

Before you start on this, you need to make a back-up image of your C-drive using whatever utility you want. Unlike CPU overclocking, failed memory overclocking can lead to some nasty OS problems requiring a reinstall. I would also turn off Windows Fast Boot and Hibernate if you use these features. There is no reason to put more liability into the memory stability.

Clearly been out of this game for too long... So it's now OK to sell products with a 3600MHz "rating" without so much as a warning or even the smallest of fine print to warn the user that the "rating" is actually not guaranteed or even attainable even if the motherboards "claim" to support it... Well, these are going back to the store - see no reason to pay extra for something that is likely to only ever give me head-aches.

Thanks for the info though - saves me from having to trawl the internet for answers that does not exist.

I have been critical on this for sometime, but keep in mind it is the motherboard that decides what value are applied to the VCCIO and VCCSA. This is not likely to change with a different kit from anyone else. You just can't plug and play with 3600+. I don't know what MSI does with their voltages since I don't have any of their boards. Tweaking just those two voltages may get you what you want. If it takes going into the subtimings, I would understand a lot of apprehension.

Another alternative would be to set a lower manual frequency, like 3200. That is more likely work without too much fuss. Set the tuning to manual. Enter 3200 in the DRAM frequency box. Then go into the DRAM timings. Set only the first three primary timings to 16-18-(18)-36. Most Z370 boards don't show the second 18 value. Set the DRAM voltage to 1.35v. This is more likely to work without SA or VCCIO tuning, but it is debatable which is less work and since you bought 3600, I assume you would like to give that a try.

In general the memory specs are guaranteed for motherboards they are tested on. However there still is sample variation of motherboards and the CPU memory controller, so sometimes you have to adjust certain settings anyways.

Most higher end boards usually tend to do well with higher memory frequency kits and auto settings until you near the limit of their max supported memory frequency. On lower end boards the auto settings usually fail a bit earlier, but with manual adjustments they should still be able to hit what they are rated for.

For coffee lake we can rule out a weak memory controller issue, so in this case it is probably more of a motherboard than a memory issue.

So i tried to run at some other memory settings, and have been able to get it to work on the stock settings for 3000MHz - but anything more, and it fails to boot. Guess it's something.

I had a reply from MSI, and they suggest I clean the contacts and try one dimm only - but I am skeptical on this. I mentioned to them that it looks like the "Try it" settings for 3600 is not correct since it has a CL timing of 17, whereas my Corsairs need a CL of 18. Their response was that the timings should be taken care of automagically... Which doesn't make sense then since the XMP values are correctly stored and listed, and the MB fails to boot with them.

See: https://www.msi.com/blog/memory-try-will-boost-gaming-rig

So basically MSI MemoryTryIt is a generic memory overclocking function. It is useful for getting the most out of lower end kits and can be useful for AMD motherboards that do not inherently support Intel Extreme Memory Profiles but use custom workarounds like A-XMP to apply XMP settings regardless (and don't work with every kit). You should not have to use MemoryTryIt on Z370 with your LPX.

Instead just enable the programmed XMP, check if the settings are set correctly and adjust VCCSA/VCCIO to what is needed for DDR4-3600 by your processors integrated memory controller. You can also try to raise Vdimm step by step up to 1.4V and see if that helps pass the POST and improves stability, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for all the help!

I've returned the RAM today and just got some Crucial DDR4-2400 stix instead - Not only do none of the settings work for me, but I also wasted more than a day now to get M2 in Raid0 to work on that MoBo. I'm really starting to suspect the motherboard is somehow faulty, but then again, I had it running more than 24Hrs straight at one point with no crashes or issues - and this included various installations of software packages as well as games - which all seemed to run without obvious issues.

• 5 months later...

This may be an older thread, but I've got the same MB and maybe similar issues.

After 3 months of solid stability, yesterday my system blue screens and reboots. During restart I get a nasty BIOS message stating my OC settings have been disabled and returned to default.

Weird thing is I hadn't even got into OC this machine - other than enabling MSI XMP for my DDR4 which sets memory speed to 3600.

In the 24hr since my system has become unstable as hell.

So booted Memtest86 and surprise - I start getting LOTS memory errors.

Checked the BIOS and oddly it left XMP enabled. So I disabled it and memory spec drops way back to default, but now Memtest happy as.

So. My MB (Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon) claims this exact 32GB memory set (4x 8GB - CMR32GX4M43600C18) as being compatible. And I had been happily chugging along, so what may have gone wrong?

The 2 year old PSU (Corsair RM650X) seems stable - at least with static tests.

• 4 weeks later...

@ghan210, not sure if you resolved your issue but I had a similar problem.

This thread is showing up in Google search so thought I'd add it.

After some months with this board I started getting memory errors.

In the end I had to take out and re-seat the memory to get it stable again.

In the process I had turned off XMP to verify 2333 was working stable.

When enabling XMP again I was manually setting the voltage to 1.35v.

I still got an occasional error with memtest.

In the end I set the voltage to auto again and haven't had an error in 30 memtest passes.

BIOS is reporting it @ 1.36v.

So for me, I had to reseat the memory and set the voltage to auto for it to work again.

Corsair Kit: CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 - DDR4 3600 - 2x8GB

Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon

BIOS: 7B45vA6

CPU: 8700k

CPU SA Voltage: 1.320 (Auto)

CPU IO Voltage: 1.272 (Auto)

DRAM Voltage: 1.36 (Auto)

Diagnostic: Passmark Memtest86 Pro v7.5

To clarify, I'm not OC'ing the CPU.

Archived