Corsair Community

Corsair H55 intel i7 960

Colin Hough

i recently bought a basic water cooler corsair h55 and wanted to know if my overclocked temperatures were ok.

idle tempature is 35-40c

heat test in prime95 is 70-75c

overclock is 3.8ghz on i7 960

are these temperatures in the green or are the a bit on the to hot side

First gen I 7's run hot even when OC moderately. Both your idle and load temps are pretty much spot on given your OC and Cooler.

Just for comparison I'm running a high OC of 4.5ghz with idle temps in the high 30's and at full load I'm getting 88-92c. Which is high, but I've never even come close to that under normal use and gaming. And if your running your memory anything above 1333mhz with that OC , it will also contribute to your temps.

Should I be pulling the air through my rad into the case or out.

Idealy, you would want cool air brought into the case.

Also what's my max temp aloud within safety for my cpu
105c is the max for the CPU. It will throttle itself back or shut the system down once it reaches this temp. But Intel recommends no more than 74.9c.

74.9 is tcase max or something. Seams like nobody can ever give an explanation of intel spec sheets. Try to stay under 90 in prime or intel burntest, linx any of those crazy cpu crying stress tools. This will equate to topping out at low 70s maximum during gaming or anything else. My old 930 d0 maxed at about 91 at 4.2 and while gaming max recorded was 72 or so on 1 core. That was with tri sli 470s in the case with it. Doubt that cooler will keep anything more than 1.3-1.35v in check. If u have a decent chip shouldnt take more than 1.3v max for 4ghz.

Archived