Corsair Community

Should I go with AX860 or AX860i?

Olorin73

I am considering upgrading my PSU from HX620 to something beefier. Like the spec on the AX-series and the reviews seems good. But I have a major gripe with the CorsairLink software. I have a a H80i fan and it has been a lot of trouble getting it to work. Support adviced me to send it in, but I have a hard time thinking SierraLink program will crash less with another unit.

So I have a few questions before I decide.

1, Is AX860 and AX860i the same unit except the CorsairLink?

2, Is it possible to run the AX860i without using CorsairLink if it crash and burn?

May sound crazy, but I a fan of monitoring stuff so a working CorsaiLink would be nice to see how much different parts of this build draws in various tasks. But it is not worth the same hassle as I hade with H80i UNLESS I can unplug the link and run it normal without the Link.

AX860 all the way!!

I had the AX860i and had all sorts of problems with it, fan clicking every 10 seconds, buzzing sound, the link software was useless as I couldn't save the fan profile, reset after each reboot.

I then replaced my AX860i with another 860i and guess what?? Same issue!

Decided to completely get rid of the i series and went with a AX860, not a single noise, been running flawlessly ever since I bought it :-)

Have a look at my thread regarding the AX860i problems;

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112593&page=2

Also, the AX860i is made by flextronics which is very popular for its unreliability and the AX860 is made by seasonic which is regarded by many as the best PSU brand in the world.

AX860 all the way!!

I had the AX860i and had all sorts of problems with it, fan clicking every 10 seconds, buzzing sound, the link software was useless as I couldn't save the fan profile, reset after each reboot.

I then replaced my AX860i with another 860i and guess what?? Same issue!

Decided to completely get rid of the i series and went with a AX860, not a single noise, been running flawlessly ever since I bought it :-)

Have a look at my thread regarding the AX860i problems;

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112593&page=2

Also, the AX860i is made by flextronics which is very popular for its unreliability and the AX860 is made by seasonic which is regarded by many as the best PSU brand in the world.

... so what do you think about this?

Did you decide?

I was faced with the same decision and although I have bought in to the Corsair Link stuff with two cooling kits, a lighting kit and a H100i I decided to steer away from the AX860i and went with the AX860. While I would have loved to set the fan profiles and monitor the power I decided that reliable power was far more important. The nail in the coffin for me was how ugly it would have been to wire it into the link commander with a dongle and such. Having said that I think the AX860i looks a little better in pictures but the AX860 is plenty classy enough.

Secondly what would I do if I could change the fan profiles? Well make it silent. The AX860 is silent all the time so for me it all stacked up to be of no advantage. I saved a few pounds and got the Seasonic built unit and I can report its the business. It just sits in the bottom of my 550D delivering power, spot on.

Very pissed I can't get individually sleeved cables for it yet, but good things come to those who wait. Except those who wait for Dominator Platinum light bars for 4 months to find out there is no red one. Sucks to be them. It sucks to be corsair too because if there was a red one I would be at the PC store handing over more cash. ;):

Joe

I gave up waiting for Corsairs generation 2 of sleeved cables, im gonna order some Bit Fenix cable extensions so I can get my case done.

Also, I passed on the AX860i as well because alot of people seem to have software and quality control issues with the PSU itself, so i'm glad I went and got the AX860 instead and scored it for $150

Archived