Corsair Community

H100i suddenly very warm - suspect no circulation

DeJuan N. Onley

Installed an H100i with a new build two months ago (mobo/cpu specs in profile). Everything has worked great and I oc'd CPU to 4.4 GHz. CPU temps never topped 48C under heavy load with fans at 1800 RPM even at that speed. 100% stable. Then last night the system suddenly started overheating. Reset to stock speed. Set fans to maximum. Pump is showing 2200 RPM but the radiator isn't even slightly warm although the H100i temp goes over 60C and rising (always 6-10C below CPU temp which is about what it always showed). Re-applied thermal paste (Antec Formula 7) although since it had no issues for so long and the liquid temp is rising at the same rate as the CPU and the temp difference seems to be comparable to what others have reported I doubt this is the issue. The one hose is extremely warm but the other feels room temperature and not as firm, as if nothing is going through it. It is almost as if the water just isn't getting pumped through the radiator. Is this possible? The hoses have not been kinked in any way. It just seems like there is no circulation. The system hasn't crashed but only because I shut it off when it heats up too much.

I apologize for a crappy post. I'm doing this from my phone.

sounds like the cpu is making heat and the rad is cooling,the inlet will be warmer than the out line,,have you checked to see if the rad is clean?,you should be able to hold a light on one side and see thru the rad

sounds like the cpu is making heat and the rad is cooling,the inlet will be warmer than the out line,,have you checked to see if the rad is clean?,you should be able to hold a light on one side and see thru the rad

That was my first thought as well. First thing I did was check it was clean then blew it out even though there isn't a spec of dust in it. And yes I realize the outlet is going to be cooler, but with the water temp getting up to 70C I can't believe the radiator wouldn't be tthe least bit warm like this. You're saying that is normal? It was warm to the touch before when temps were far lower.

i havent seen where the rad got blocked here on the board but always a first time,why not try to go back to standard clock to make sure the cpu isnt putting out excessive heat.

Yeah I hadn't seen it either which is why this is so bizarre. And like I said before, I already tried standard specs which is what it is running now. Temp goes up to about 75C in five minutes with liquid cooling unit showing 67C. I just let it cook like that for 10 minutes and the rad finally started to feel a little warm on the one side but nothing on the other. I wasn't willing to let it sit longer because the temp continued to rise and the CPU was close to 90 when I finally shut it down (with Corsair temp approaching 80 and 0% CPU utilization).

I would say the pump was bad but it shows 2200 RPM.

if you arent online tomorrow,ill bump this thread up so ramguy can reply to it,im curious as well.i just dont see how the rad can juse get stopped up,i assume that you have felt both lines to make sure they havent collapsed anywhere.its really like the cpu is just overheating but as you said,even at stock clock its just as hot.cant be an impellor as it still sees rpm.

That's exactly how it is acting. Makes sense. I can't test any further now though because on my fourth attempt at re-seating and re-applying thermal paste (even though all evidence is that wasn't the problem I always assume I screwed up first) I broke one of the mounting posts. Wasn't even applying that much torque. It must have already been weak from all the mounting and re-mounting. I will say for the two months it worked I was very impressed.

I would love to fill out an RMA but every time I try to log in to the site I get: "Error: Error occurred while loading a Visualforce page"... I have been buying Corsair products for most of the 16 years I have worked in IT. Spent unknown thousands of dollars on this brand and the first time I ever have to deal with a warranty issue I'm already having trouble. I have a project deadline I'm trying to meet and here I am wasting time trying to find a phone number for their tech support department (and taking my frustrations about the run-around they give their customers on their forum). Just as an FYI to the company, this is exactly the kind of thing that causes you to lose long-time customers. I realize nobody wants to invest in the manpower to provide talented CSRs to personally address customer issues anymore, but at least clearly post a phone number for your RMA department on your website.

And before anyone get smart yes, I am on the phone with their main 800 number. It was just frustrating that the tech support site is down and doesn't provide a phone number. If someone doesn't look at the bottom of the main page to find the corporate number they would have no idea of how to contact the company. Not that it matters since I was just told in no uncertain terms they will not process RMA requests over the phone.

Update: Finally managed to log in to the Force.com website once I realized one of the links on their own page was incorrect and managed to logout and log back in again. Now I'm unsure which part number to use. Since it is a fully enclosed unit I basically need the whole thing replaced. It appears the part number for this is CW-9060009-WW and the other H100i part numbers are just for individual parts that come with the unit such as brackets. Insane that they won't just take an RMA request over the phone. Or at minimum have a form that makes it easier to find your product.

And then when you finally get through that they make you contact support anyway and go through the whole process of "are you sure you mounted it properly" etc etc. Forget this garbage. Either replace your defective product or don't. Now I'm going to spend days going back and forth with them filling out trouble tickets? It says it can be a full business day (8 hours) to get even an initial response. I've RMA'd hundreds of products over the years and never had a company I couldn't just call and get a replacement shipped if I wanted to. I am so disappointed in Corsair.

• Corsair Employee
And then when you finally get through that they make you contact support anyway and go through the whole process of "are you sure you mounted it properly" etc etc. Forget this garbage.

They just wanted to make sure that you have done all the necessary steps to make sure that nothing has been overlooked in terms of installation. Please keep in mind that, not all support guys monitor our forums, so they wouldn't know what you have posted here and steps that you have already taken to solve the issue. In most cases when you phone in, your case will be treated like a first time inquiry, where they have to ask preliminary trouble shooting questions to ensure that all possible solutions have been exhausted before suggesting a replacement. Unless there is a previous communication (like a ticket #) that has been established before the phone call.

Go ahead and Post your ticket #. I'll into your case and will make sure that it is being handled properly.

Archived