Corsair Community

can not control PWM

smile689

Yes, you can’t run iCUE and AIDA at the same time. This issue goes back to Link 4.9.xx, which is also the base requirement for the LL fans. You are going to have to make a choice and since the LL series require Link/iCUE at all times, there isn’t much of an upside. I would not expect this to change and after 8 months it’s safe to say making the software compatible with other programs is not a priority.

It is not a bug, but a consequence of the manner in which iCUE and Link are written.

True ... but not quite that simple.

First, the hardware itself runs in (what I like to call, because it amuses me) "Highlander Mode" ... there can be only one application accessing it at any one time. If two apps attempt to access the device simultaneously, things go downhill ... quickly.

Second, Corsair does not have a system-wide lock for all access to these devices, though it does appear that a system-wide mutex is (again) used for at least some cases.

Finally, if and when Corsair does have and documents a system-wide mutex to ensure that only one app is talking to a device at a time, the other application needs to actually use that mutex to synchronize access.

So ... even if Corsair does implement a system-wide mutex (and it may be in place for the most part ... I've not checked with 3.4.95 yet), the other applications also need to use it. If they don't, things will go downhill ... quickly.

Finally, if and when Corsair does have and documents a system-wide mutex to ensure that only one app is talking to a device at a time, the other application needs to actually use that mutex to synchronize access.

I didn’t say it was simple, but those choices are Corsair’s to make and we know which program abandoned using the mutex. You can go back to Link 4.8.xx to solve these types of issues. The timing coincided with launch of several more RGB products completely dependent on the new 4.9 version of the software. It would be easy to take a cynical perspective and view this as a business decision. Some competitors reciprocated. I don’t feel like I am better off than I was one year ago with none of this.

I didn’t say it was simple, but those choices are Corsair’s to make and we know which program abandoned using the mutex. You can go back to Link 4.8.xx to solve these types of issues. The timing coincided with launch of several more RGB products completely dependent on the new 4.9 version of the software. It would be easy to take a cynical perspective and view this as a business decision. Some competitors reciprocated. I don’t feel like I am better off than I was one year ago with none of this.

Yes, I won't argue that. However, I don't think that it was a business decision but actually a technical one because of the level of control required by the LL lighting. This was necessary due to the monolithic approach that they took with communicating with the devices. It should be possible, with some refactoring, to be a bit more granular with this but that's also a pretty risky move as it would impact some things at a low level. While I do hope that they take this on (and there'd be a bunch of other benefits as well), it'll be a while.

I am not a programmer and I can't argue what is or is not necessary to make the hardware do what is desired. However, the LL fans are a good example of the argument I am trying to make. The LL fans will always be dependent on the software to do their thing. This was stated from the start and Corsair representatives continued to confirm it as a necessary fact every time the discussion arose. This is good. As a consumer, I can make an educated decision about whether or not to buy the product knowing the restrictions ahead of time. I already had the HD set. I thought I wanted the LL, but went for the ML-RGB instead, largely based on this issue. I am happy with the decision. If I had decided to get the LL, I would have been making that decision with full knowledge. I could niggle here and there and wish it would change, but I had the knowledge and the choice was mine.

The problem is we are now in a state where it isn't just "software required for full operation", but that software will preclude you from using other software not related to this product. That is notable issue, one not disclosed on the product itself, and it is not being acknowledged in any official capacity. I don't know whether the changes are necessary or not. I do know that not proactively addressing it will be costly in one way or another down the line. That is my area of expertise.

When CUE and Link were married into the iCUE platform, I knew there would be some loss of flexibility. No more quitting Link, but retaining my keyboard and mouse functions. While I can find accommodations for that, I am concerned that now as an official release there is still no hardware playback for devices that previously had it in Link. The newest version 3.4.95 cannot manage my fan speeds while not running, which became very apparent as it crashed while tabbing through the panels three times in the first 45 minutes. Rather than moving from BETA toward a program that is a true marriage of all the capabilities of Link, CUE 2.0, and then beyond, it is starting to feel like a trade-off. If you attract or otherwise compel consumers to a stable of products that are interlinked and at the same time exclude the use of competing examples, you are raising the stakes considerably all the way around. It may be time for a narrative that indicates where this software is going. The merchandise has become too expensive to be easily discarded and misaligning long term plans with consumer expectations never ends well. If you are going to play the high stakes brand loyalty game, make sure consumers are loyal to the company, not the product itself. You don't want that to turn on whether software release 1.2.3.4 works as expected.

Yes, you can’t run iCUE and AIDA at the same time. This issue goes back to Link 4.9.xx, which is also the base requirement for the LL fans. You are going to have to make a choice and since the LL series require Link/iCUE at all times, there isn’t much of an upside. I would not expect this to change and after 8 months it’s safe to say making the software compatible with other programs is not a priority.

Wait what? You need both Link and iCUE to get LL fans working in iCUE? Or did I read that wrong? Did you mean that you either need Link or ICUE, depending which one you use, needs to be running all the time for LL fans to work? If so, ignore this post as I'm aware of that.

Wait what? You need both Link and iCUE to get LL fans working in iCUE? Or did I read that wrong? Did you mean that you either need Link or ICUE, depending which one you use, needs to be running all the time for LL fans to work? If so, ignore this post as I'm aware of that.

Yes, just one or the other. I have written the phrase "iCUE or Link" so many times trying to cover all the bases that is has now shrunk to iCUE/Link. Also, not all of the Link supported hardware is supported on iCUE, so some people are caught in between.

Archived