Corsair Community

VX550 noise transmitted to the speakers

noda

Hello,

I'm trying to get some help with a serious problem with my new config (details about it in my profile).

I've been experiencing some interferences problems with my speakers (I tried different sets of speakers, even my professional audio monitors) getting disturbing noise (like electrical hiss) while under heavy PSU charge (gaming). While idle, I can still hear high pitched noise coming from the speakers.

The noise does not come from the soundcard itself since there's no noise when using headphones instead of the speakers. Muting the sound in windows also does not mute the noise. Then it must be something wrong related to the ground / PSU (and it's not a ground loop either). There's no problem in my electrical installation either, as I have a studio setup (I'm a sound engineer) and everything is fine.

I've been digging days around this problem, and yesterday I found that the noise I hear in my speaker is the same that the one emitted by my VX550 PSU, but amplified. With heavy GPU charge, the PSU noise alone is even audible 1m away from my tower (I have good audition, though).

I've tried updating my drivers, and I activated "wide spectrum" in the BIOS to reduce motherboard interference, with no success.

I've been thinking about a faulty PSU unit, but it bothers me since everything else is working fine :/

What do you think guys? Ever had a problem similar?

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employee
I would try some of the things mentioned in this thread first. We can definitely replace the PSU for you, but at this point I could not tell you with any certainty that it would resolve the problem. It sounds like the speakers or sound card are encountering some interference of some kind. You may want to test the system with it plugged into a different circuit in your home just to make sure that there is not a device plugged into the same circuit which is inducing the interference.

Thanks for your reply.

I've updated all my system's drivers, especially the video car since the problem gets worse when the GPU is under charge.

The thing is that the fact the PSU emits little noise is not a problem for me, but the fact that this noise is getting amplified through the speaker is really problematic.

The interference does not come from the soundcard at all, as if I desactivate the soundcard in the bios, the noise is still present in the speakers.

That leaves only 1 possibility: the interference comes from the earth/ground, at it's the only link between the PSU and the audio cable itself when even the soundcard is disabled.

I've already tried to plug the PSU/speakers on different power outlets, same result. And as I have a complete studio setup with very sensitive audio equipment working fine, I think there's no problem with the installation (when I used my studio gear to try a different speaker system, the resulat was just dramatically horrible, just not a sllight interference).

I've been trying many things (hardware & software, using the BIOS, drivers and OS config) with no results. I'm bothered to think that my PSU may be faulty (a broken filter that leaks interference on the ground?) but I see nothing else then :(

What's the RMA procedure for France? Do I need to pay the shipping cost to send it back to you? Is it best to do sent it back to you or my online reseller to have an exchange?

Thanks for your help.

I made some new test:

- I tried with PSU outside the tower, same results.

- I tried using a professionnal usb sound card, same noises as using the integrated audio card, even worse. This makes me more confident with the problem being related to electric noise being emitted on the earth/ground.

I'll try to made ultimate tests tomorrow with a friend's PSU if I can, but I'm pretty confident at this point that the PSU is faulty.

• Corsair Employee

Request an RMA

If all else fails then lets try getting it replaced! You would pay to ship it to us and we would pay to ship the replacement back to you. You contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com if you would like to inquire about any alternative shipping methods.

Ok, so I tested my friend's PSU (Corsair TX750) and there's the exact same noise problem (the PSU makes noise under GPU charge, and this sound is getting amplified in my speakers).

So either the 2 PSU's are bad, or it's something else (and I bet something else now...)

Just to be sure, these two models (VX550 & TX750) are from 2 different suppliers if I remember well? (Seasonic and another one I don't remember) If so, then it's definitely not PSU. So the 2 remaining components that may be faulty are the graphic card and the motherboard. I really hope it's not the motherboard :(

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Corsair Employee
Thanks for the update, I would agree with your diagnosis. It would be very unlikely to have two PSUs that gave exactly the same issues, so there has to be some other cause.

Archived