Corsair Community

TX650V2 is way too loud

BigBlack

Hey there, first post, unfortunately reporting a problem..

Just bought TX650V2 and it is way too loud, audible clearly in the next room. It seems that the fan is not regulated at all, spinning at max rpm even at idle (less than 100W drawn from wall outlet). I requested an RMA, but as i keep reading the reports of other users i lose hope that i will get a silent unit. Also it costs an arm and a leg to return the PSU to corsair, i will have to pay half its price in postage. The retailer does not accept a refund, nor sells an HX650 which is really silent, they only have AX750 -850s available, which are way too expensive for me. I'm in a deadlock...

Corsair support assigned me an RMA, which is the same as my case number; #2546582

Is there any way to assure i will get a silent psu? 42 euros in postage for a 94 euro psu seems like an awful waste of money, especially as the odds are that i will get another noisy unit.

Corsair support assigned me an RMA, which is the same as my case number; #2546582

Is there any way to assure i will get a silent psu? 42 euros in postage for a 94 euro psu seems like an awful waste of money, especially as the odds are that i will get another noisy unit.

If you just got it you should of just exchanged at the retailer you purchased it from. Seams a lot easier then going through the RMA process. Then they deal with the RMA and you get a new psu on the spot. Plus, if you exchanged, you could use the 42 euro u saved from RMA on a 750 instead ;):

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately the crisis has hit the retailers, i had to wait for a month to get the Tx650. They do not stock anything anymore, and the one i got my psu from does not have anything between the TX650 and the AX750 in stock. We are talking 100 euros price difference here...

No money back on opened products, even if they don't work as advertised, retailers policy. But my question really is if i should expect a quiet replacement unit or if all tx650w v.2 are as noisy as mine...

It shouldn't be noisy. Sounds to me like the fan controller for the psu may be messed up... Im running sli 470s overclocks and my fan barely spins... Kinda worried its not spinning, cant tell as it faces down tho... And im sure it wouldve fried pretty quick with the load I push through it... Hardly any air comes out the back of the psu tho.

My tx650 v2 is probably the quietest fan in my system. Even my 120mm case fans spinning at low setting is more audible than the PSU fan. I have it pointing down at the bottom of my case. I'd try RMAing it if its that big of a bother, I don't hear a sound out of mine.

I reinstalled my older Seasonic SS-650HT and it is whisper quiet although it has a smaller, 120mm fan. In fact i cannot tell the psu's noise over the other fans of the system, all of them spinning around 700-800rpm. The reason i bought the Corsair is that i thought it would be comparable to the Seasonic and equally quiet, which is not the case. The fan might be unregulated in my Corsair. I will try to Rma it with the reseller and see what i will get, i hope that the whole batch is not defective...

Thank you for your input, it helped me decide what to do!

They are fairly loud under a Full LOAD they are about 42Db but in normal use they should not be that bad, about 20-30 Db.

There may be some issue with the fan controller in that PSU.

Dear Ram Guy, the replacement TX650 is also loud, even when the pc is idling. Lots of cold air is pushed through the back of the psu, it seems to be a batch problem with fan regulation. I have installed dozens of Corsair psus, especially those made by Seasonic and i have never had a problem with noise before, not once!

If i return this unit to corsair, how can i be sure that i will get finally a silent unit? Is it possible to exchange it for a HX650 which i know for sure that are really silent?

Thanks!

• Corsair Employee

Are you in the USA? If not what country are you in and can you provide the Lot code on your PSU; it will be an 8 digit number and should start with 11?

And if the profile in your ID is what you are using then you will be at 60-80% of load even at idle with that configuration? So that would put the level at about 34-38 Db.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm in Greece. I'm nowhere near 60% load at idle, i'm max at 20% since i only draw from the wall outlet 100-120W (i use a meter). Peak power use is less than 300W, around 280 with gaming. The cpu has a 95W TDP and i have C&Q enabled, the vga only draws 17W at the desktop of win 7. So really, the psu should be dead silent at 25-30 db.

Anyway, lot code is 11467013. I hope something can be done...

• Corsair Employee
You have to remember that is at 120 Volts and most of the meters using this type of technology IE: sub 100.00 USD are not accurate at all. I was going by the hardware in your list. but 280 watts at 120 Volts or about 3 amps would equate to about 400-600 watts at the internal voltage of the PSU. (3.3V, 5.0V, & 12V)

You have to remember that is at 120 Volts and most of the meters using this type of technology IE: sub 100.00 USD are not accurate at all. I was going by the hardware in your list. but 280 watts at 120 Volts or about 3 amps would equate to about 400-600 watts at the internal voltage of the PSU. (3.3V, 5.0V, & 12V)

Thanks again for your reply, but please consider the following:

Greece has a 220V power network, not 120V. The meter is rather accurate for the purpose, i have compared it with the readings on the Electric Company meter (within a 5-8% accuracy margin), over 24 hours of pc energy consumption measurement. If the pc draws 120W from the wall (plus or minus 8% if you will) and given the efficiency of the TX650's at 10-20% of rated power to be around 80%, you can safely say that my computer consumes around 110W at idle. There is no way it operates at more than 150W at idle, all error margins considered and doubled upwards, unless my math is grossly mistaken. If you want i can quote also online tests for the power consumption of the cpu, gpu, ram and hard disks and you will see that the system at idle is drawing something in the vicinity of 100-140 Watts. 400-600 Watts is out of the question, i have operated similar setups over long time with 330W psus (seasonic S12 330).

If this does not convince you, i can tell you that the air coming out of the psu is at ambient temperature, always! The psu operating at 70-80% of its rated power would at least warm the air a few degrees Celcius, don't you think? Also, the paperclip test shows that the fan runs at full, or close to full speed, and that is without any load. So please, try to help me here if you can, this is not a question of ignorance on my part or hearing hypersensitivity, but rather a question of a problem with this product. Thank you.

Archived