Corsair Community

I Can't Control Fan Speeds After Using iCUE

HideNowhere

Hi,

I downloaded (and uninstalled) iCUE to monitor my fan's and pump's RPM and since downloading iCUE I have nothing but problems that still persist after uninstalling it.

During the installation my nvidia drivers were deleted(?) and iCUE profiles took over any settings I had done through the bios or Gigabytes SIV app. I noticed that the settings in iCUE were incorrect. If I were to have set a fan to max RPM it wouldn't actually go to the max RPM. I believe it was the same if I were to lower the RPM also. I couldn't set my fan speeds to my desired settings so I tried uninstalling iCUE and this problem still persists.

No matter how or what my fan speeds are displaying as incorrect in the bios or HWMonitor or in LINK (and sometimes it shows fans that don't even exist) and I cannot control my fans RPM at all. When I boot my computer they will speed up to the their max RPM and then go back down to whatever speed they are at now. They have a mind of their own; sometimes they increase on their own and slow down on their own. I now can't play a game without crashing possibly because of overheating and I seriously need this problem fixed so any help is appreciated.

What settings in SIV did iCue take over? Were you using SIV to control your H100i V2? If so, do not do that. That will reduce the voltage going to the pump. The pump requires a full 12V at all times so the fan header that it is connected to (CPU_FAN if installed per the instructions) should be set to full speed. This is best done by disabling speed control (at least on the Asus boards) but the Gigabyte boards may do it a little differently. See the Cooler FAQ, Section B.

Second, the behavior that you are describing sounds like the fan speeds are tied to the CPU temperature. This is not the default behavior of iCue. They should be tied to the H100i V2 coolant temperature. This is also addressed in the Cooler FAQ.

Thanks for the responses,

When I loaded iCUE, all the fans adapted to whatever the default profile is in iCUE and I don't think those RPM settings have changed since.

The fans that I have in my pc for now are the stock fans and the fans for H100i v2. The H100i v2 is connected to CPU_FAN, and the others are connected to SYS_FAN 1 and 2 on the motherboard.

I believe the CPU Fan Speed Control is set to Full Speed and the CPU Fan Control Mode is set Voltage.

The software that I have been using now is the Gigabyte App Center's SIV. I don't really know what software would be best to use. I can download iCUE again if needed. I also have Link installed so I can use that too.

I'm unsure how to know if my fans are tied to my coolant temperature rather than CPU temperature.

Thanks for the responses,

When I loaded iCUE, all the fans adapted to whatever the default profile is in iCUE and I don't think those RPM settings have changed since.

The fans that I have in my pc for now are the stock fans and the fans for H100i v2. The H100i v2 is connected to CPU_FAN, and the others are connected to SYS_FAN 1 and 2 on the motherboard.

I believe the CPU Fan Speed Control is set to Full Speed and the CPU Fan Control Mode is set Voltage.

The software that I have been using now is the Gigabyte App Center's SIV. I don't really know what software would be best to use. I can download iCUE again if needed. I also have Link installed so I can use that too.

I'm unsure how to know if my fans are tied to my coolant temperature rather than CPU temperature.

You have two separate control systems here. Corsair Link or iCUE controls the pump and the radiator fans (when connected to the pump). That's it.

Gigabyte SIV controls your motherboard headers. It cannot control the fans on the H100i v2 or at least not in the way you want. Make sure you don't override your BIOS setting of 100% for the CPU Fan header with the SIV app. It's like turning down the wall dimmer for a ceiling fan and then wondering why the pull chain doesn't do anything. The H100i v2 needs a constant 12v to operate normally.

Without iCUE or Link running, the H100i v2 will run some default fan curve in relation to coolant temp. You won't have any direct control. You won't overheat, but it is likely to be louder than necessary.

• 11 months later...

Same but in Corsair h100i RGB Platinum, I use iCue and i can only put on the extreme or 0rpm mode. When I select the relax mode (i have iCue software in spanish so i dont know the exact transalation) and the fans start to go in extreme mode.

Basically i can only have 0RPM or extreme mode

The Platinum is a different series cooler power by a SATA line from the PSU, so the elements of motherboard control do not apply for you. Do you mean you physically cannot select Balanceado and Tranquillio and apply it to the fans? Or Quiet/Tranquillo spins fast? When the preset has been properly applied, both it and the fans will be yellow.

Don't forget those are just pre-programmed fan curves with coolant temp x = fan speed y. Quiet won't be quiet at all if your coolant is 38C -- not hard to do in Summer.

Yes, the fans are always maxed out because your coolant is +20-30C above the normal levels. You need to find out why.

1) Coolant Temperature should equal exhaust air temperature -> put your hand above the radiator exhaust. Even at 40C that should feel very warm. If the air coming off the radiator is cool, that suggests a flow problem inside the cooler.

2) It's been a hot Summer, but I doubt your room is the 40C+ it would take to heat the coolant to this level. Nevertheless, figure out your room temperature and approximate internal case temperature so we can factor that into the end number. You can use motherboard sensors, drive temps, or any other data you have to help calculate in the case temp.

3) How is the case set up? Looking at that model my guess is the front panel is the only place you can put a 240mm radiator -- presumably as intake. Hopefully some exhaust fans in the rear, but the immediate thing I wonder about when I see cases like that is how air gets through the front panel. Some use side slots. Others at the top/bottom. But this is usually very restrictive. In combination with a dust filer, you might be choking the airflow down to zero.

1) The exhaust air feels cool, and the air coming out of the corsair fans that are attached to the radiator also cold.

2)My room temp it's like 24ºC

3)I have the nox Hummer MC and the Radiator is in the front panel.

If i remove the front panel the temp is the same.

I have no dust filter in the front panel.

OK, contact support. The flow is blocked. Might be first one I have seen on the Platinum coolers. Make sure you emphasize that crazy high coolant temperature and then immediately tell them the air coming off the radiators fans is cool. That is the critical identifier the cooler is at fault.

Right now immediate solutions? You can try tapping the hoses or tilting the case in hopes this is an air bubble. That is possible and I would not expect a physical build up restriction on a cooler this new. Try to tilt the case (while running) so the hoses coming off the CPU block are slightly higher than pump. That would let the bubble out of the block (hopefully).

Normal coolant temperature (H100i Platinum Temp) should be about +4-7C above your room temperature at idle with load temps 6-10C above that, depending on CPU and additional case heat (like from the GPU). Case ambient temperature is always the minimum possible coolant temp. Any time you see coolant values in the upper 30s at idle or above 40C at load, you should ask questions and take a loot and what's going on. Right now you need to be very careful with your use. No heavy loads since the cooler has no way to get rid of the heat.

Hmmm... I noticed you were not complaining about the actual end CPU temps. Just the fan speed. The fans are maxed because the cooler thinks you are having a melt down. However, at 50C coolant temp, you would be unable to do much of anything without heavy throttling. Gaming would be impossible or at least at the critical edge. Did you notice very high 80C+ CPU temps? If not, try something else first. Go to the Lighting menu for the Platinum and turn off the pump LEDs (set it to static 0,0,0 black). What happens to the coolant temperature?

*Also, set the fans to a fixed 1000 rpm or something. Blocked cooler or otherwise, the 2700 rpm isn't going to make it cooler. Just louder.

Edited by c-attack

I played gta V (max quality in 720p) at 55-70 fps with a 67ºC temp, VERY hot.

Turning off the pump leds it gets 41ºC in idle from 50ºC before i think.

I contacted with the store where i bought it and theyu will give me another one.

Edited by Aritz_MoDz

It drops 9C when you turn off the pump LEDs? Like in a few seconds? Turn the pump LED on and off and see what happens. This is a known issue, but this would be the worst one I have ever seen. Is that 67C coolant temp or CPU temp. Your AMD should be in the 80s if the coolant is really 50-60C.