The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963679
DevBiker Reputation: 76

From what I understand, Corsair's engineers discovered the SPD corruption issue before releasing even the first wave of RGB RAM and had a fix for it in their first generation hardware. I would be absolutely amazed if the same fix isn't in place for the second generation RGB RAM as well.

That said, I've reported this to Corsair for investigation.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 AM
MalakaiAE's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963713
MalakaiAE Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
From what I understand, Corsair's engineers discovered the SPD corruption issue before releasing even the first wave of RGB RAM and had a fix for it in their first generation hardware. I would be absolutely amazed if the same fix isn't in place for the second generation RGB RAM as well.

That said, I've reported this to Corsair for investigation.
Didn't get a chance to exchange the ram, Hopefully tomorrow(Monday)

That said my machine has not been rebooted since Friday and now all SPD data is missing within CPU-Z. I decided to try Thaiphoon Burner free edition and sure enough I have SPD crc errors, and oddly my serial numbers no longer show on the ram. Something is very wrong if this can happen without me trying to.

I've been away all weekend and have not been on my machine. The only change made was I uninstalled Gigabytes RGB Fusion application on Friday.

Screenshots attached
Attached Images
File Type: png CPUZ.png (26.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png CPUZ02.png (23.8 KB, 170 views)
File Type: png Thaiphoon01.png (67.6 KB, 163 views)
File Type: png Thaiphoon02.png (61.0 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by MalakaiAE; 07-16-2018 at 02:36 PM.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 PM

POST ID # = 963848
Cpt.Planet Reputation: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalakaiAE View Post
Didn't get a chance to exchange the ram, Hopefully tomorrow(Monday)

That said my machine has not been rebooted since Friday and now all SPD data is missing within CPU-Z. I decided to try Thaiphoon Burner free edition and sure enough I have SPD crc errors, and oddly my serial numbers no longer show on the ram. Something is very wrong if this can happen without me trying to.

I've been away all weekend and have not been on my machine. The only change made was I uninstalled Gigabytes RGB Fusion application on Friday.

Screenshots attached
CPUz might be due to iCue accessing the SMBus. Corsair doesn't program serial numbers in the SPD. Post a dump of the SPD instead of just the screenshot from Thaiphoon burner.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:09 AM
MalakaiAE's PC Specs

POST ID # = 964050
MalakaiAE Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
CPUz might be due to iCue accessing the SMBus. Corsair doesn't program serial numbers in the SPD. Post a dump of the SPD instead of just the screenshot from Thaiphoon burner.
iCUE Wasn't installed nor running while CPU-Z was reporting blank. I even uninstalled NZXT CAM and Ryzen Master prior to that.

I have the new ram now. Re imaged windows back to a clean slate, Installed iCUE and now I can control both new dimms. I have not turned on XMP profile nor installed any other software.

Looking at Thaiphoon I still have the same CRC errors. So maybe thats just the software not knowing how to read Corsairs data?

If you look at the dumps, 2018-07-16 doesn't have all the timings/frequencies listed. I have not overclocked beyond turning XMP on then off at some point. All values should be default to my motherboard.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 SPD Dumps.zip (2.8 KB, 34 views)

Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 PM

POST ID # = 964157
Jim Hopper Reputation: 10

Hi, I have fixed and enclosed SPD for your memory modules. The only Byte 0 needed to be set to 23h. Once I have changed it both CRCs are OK.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 DDR4-2133P with XMP.zip (647 Bytes, 48 views)

Old 08-08-2018, 05:56 PM
spordniar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967734
spordniar Reputation: 10
Default I have 1 stick not lighting up too

Hi Malakai, good to hear that you are able to get them exchanged.

How did you do it? I bought with Newegg online and I don't want to live without my sticks for so many days shipping it back to Newegg.

I am trying to see if I can just go into Corsair's office and get them exchanged, but I am not sure if this is going to be an option.

Will be great if you can provide some info on how you were able to get the sticks replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalakaiAE View Post
iCUE Wasn't installed nor running while CPU-Z was reporting blank. I even uninstalled NZXT CAM and Ryzen Master prior to that.

I have the new ram now. Re imaged windows back to a clean slate, Installed iCUE and now I can control both new dimms. I have not turned on XMP profile nor installed any other software.

Looking at Thaiphoon I still have the same CRC errors. So maybe thats just the software not knowing how to read Corsairs data?

If you look at the dumps, 2018-07-16 doesn't have all the timings/frequencies listed. I have not overclocked beyond turning XMP on then off at some point. All values should be default to my motherboard.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:11 PM
spordniar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967736

I dumped SPD from all 4 sticks, they all look identical by vbindiff byte by byte. So I don't believe it is a corrupted SPD.

Really hope I can resolve this by myself so I don't need to get them exchanged and live without a computer for possibly weeks :(

Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 PM

POST ID # = 967777
Cpt.Planet Reputation: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spordniar View Post
I dumped SPD from all 4 sticks, they all look identical by vbindiff byte by byte. So I don't believe it is a corrupted SPD.

Really hope I can resolve this by myself so I don't need to get them exchanged and live without a computer for possibly weeks :(
Shouldn't be SPD corruption causing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spordniar View Post

Will be great if you can provide some info on how you were able to get the sticks replaced.
When you say 1 module is not lit up are there two red LEDs lit up on the top and bottom?

Old 08-09-2018, 02:39 PM
spordniar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967859

I used to see one white LED towards bottom when I turn off the LED for all 4 sticks. now it's just completely off, regardless whether I turn the other 3 sticks on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.Planet View Post
When you say 1 module is not lit up are there two red LEDs lit up on the top and bottom?

Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM
spordniar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967860

Old 08-10-2018, 07:53 PM
spordniar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 968028

I am getting the replacement thanks to Corsair's great CS team, however does anyone know why this happened? My fear is that I will get this issue again on the replacement set and I will have to go through the same drama again to get them replaced... it's quite time consuming and annoying actually.