Corsair Community

New build, 2 failed power Supplies

talldavid

Hi All,

I built a new x 79 system in November and after a little research got it up and running. Asus P9x79 pro, i7 Intel 3930k, 16 Gg Corsair 2133 RAM, WD black drives, nvidia 550 ti GPU, and a Corsair HX850 watt gold PSU.

After a couple of weeks of use, the box wouldn't power up the next day after working fine the night before. I RMA'd the power supply, installed the new one and voila...worked great..no issues for over a month. The other night, in the middle of working, it simply turned off without warning. it didn't shut down, it went from working to dead in an instant.

Frustrated, I took the box to a reputable repair shop for a diagnostic. They found that the PSU was dead (again) and didn't find any other issue with components, or builder error.

What can be causing these failures? Am I just getting incredibly unlucky? I need to understand what is causing the failures and make sure it doesn't continue to happen. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

• Corsair Employee
That is odd for our PSU but I would like to see that PSU so we can try to determine why it failed, Please use the link on the left and request an RMA and please post the case number and I will have our customer service contact you to make the arrangements.

Hi,

Thanks Ramguy, yes I have a new case number. It's 5459395, the unit is SN 124570930F1711390007. With a repair diagnostic bill to pay and now two return shipping charges as you can imagine, I'm not very happy. I will try to get this in the mail today or tomorrow at the latest.

Best,

David

Dear Ram Guy,

I sent off the PSU today. I'm not sure what you can do to ensure that the replacement you will send will work, but if you guys had a bad production run, or quality issues during manufacture, or bad parts or issues of that nature, I really need a unit that will last years, instead of weeks. As you know this will be my third unit.

Archived