Corsair Community

Red vs Brown vs Blue Cherry.. your opinion and experience

autumn_sunset

Hello, I want to purchase my first mechanical keyboard. Things you read around the Internet are confusing because there's any sort of opinion. I can't try the keyb. before purchase, and, my use being 80% typing-20% relaxed playing (adventure, puzzle, retro gaming) I know red switches are not my best choice. But how do I choose between brown and blue? Also, someone says the red ones are best for writing too :sigh!: :confused:

I'd like to get a comparison of how each type feels by someone who knows all 3.

Howdy there,

Red definitely isn't that great for typing, albeit at first for sure. Since they don't have any tactile feedback, it's easy to do typos as simply hitting the key lightly while moving your fingers could actuate the key. (Typos)

I personally own Brown switch K95 RGB, and I have to say it's extremely pleasant for both gaming and typing. Although they don't have the signature 'click' of the blue switches, since I don't have dampeners installed I still get a nice little click sound on press/release of the keys. What I like about the brown keys is that there is no 'piston mechanism' like the blue switch. So you don't have to bring the switch all the way back up to 'reset it'. Easier for multiple taps when gaming.

I don't have that much experience with blue switches, but if you do a google search. There are companies who sell sample kits, and have videos where they demonstrate the 'sound' and actuation of all the switches. It's not the same as pressing them yourself, but you can get an impression of the mechanism at hand.

Some of these kits go for as low as 20$, so you could perhaps order that first try out each switch and see where you stand on it personally.

Howdy there,

Red definitely isn't that great for typing, albeit at first for sure. Since they don't have any tactile feedback, it's easy to do typos as simply hitting the key lightly while moving your fingers could actuate the key. (Typos)

I personally own Brown switch K95 RGB, and I have to say it's extremely pleasant for both gaming and typing. Although they don't have the signature 'click' of the blue switches, since I don't have dampeners installed I still get a nice little click sound on press/release of the keys. What I like about the brown keys is that there is no 'piston mechanism' like the blue switch. So you don't have to bring the switch all the way back up to 'reset it'. Easier for multiple taps when gaming.

I don't have that much experience with blue switches, but if you do a google search. There are companies who sell sample kits, and have videos where they demonstrate the 'sound' and actuation of all the switches. It's not the same as pressing them yourself, but you can get an impression of the mechanism at hand.

Some of these kits go for as low as 20$, so you could perhaps order that first try out each switch and see where you stand on it personally.

Hello, I found a shop that allows to return goods within 31 January with no expense, and ordered all keyboards I ever thought to compare:

1 very small keyboard with scissors keys (extremely low travel distance, I once happened to try and loved them), bluetooth

1 large keyboard with scissors keys, but large buttons and arrows for gaming, wireless.

1 like the one above, but USB

1 Corsair K70 with blue switches

1 ******* *710 with brown switches

I think in a week I'll know what brand, and key type (cherry or scissors, brown or blue) is right for me.

thanks for your kind reply.

I used reds (K70 Reds) for the better part of 2 years for mostly typing, light gaming. Too busy to game much. I've recently gone to browns (K95 RGB Brown) and found them to be slightly better for the typing but also very adequate for gaming.

Official saying is reds are great for gaming average for typing

brown good for both

blue better for typing and average for gaming.

but you can know only once you try so I'll try all.

I used to own CM Storm Quickfire Pro with black keys and absolutley loved them, but typing a report or something would really hurt after like 20-30 mins, but i still loved them.

when i was moving over to Corsair i got the K70, i really wanted black keys but they were not avaliable and many of my friends said get brown they are better for both gaming and typing, so i went with brown, and i have regretted that choice from day 1, i wish i went with reds, but oh well, after a while they grow on you.

but even to today if i had the choice of switching to reds i would do it in a heartbeat.

most people talk about a tactile feedback with the browns, but really, i cant feel it at all, its just a very very very light version of blacks to me...

I used to own CM Storm Quickfire Pro with black keys and absolutley loved them, but typing a report or something would really hurt after like 20-30 mins, but i still loved them.

when i was moving over to Corsair i got the K70, i really wanted black keys but they were not avaliable and many of my friends said get brown they are better for both gaming and typing, so i went with brown, and i have regretted that choice from day 1, i wish i went with reds, but oh well, after a while they grow on you.

but even to today if i had the choice of switching to reds i would do it in a heartbeat.

most people talk about a tactile feedback with the browns, but really, i cant feel it at all, its just a very very very light version of blacks to me...

I dont understand: you like soft keys or hard keys? I think red switches are soft, and black switches are hard

Yeh i like hard keys, i tested a friends K70 RGB with red switches and i acctually like them more than my brown switches.

Man, red switches are the softest of all. Brown is average. Blue is harder. (I don't know about black, green, and clear/white, which are all a little out of fashion).

Man, red switches are the softest of all. Brown is average. Blue is harder. (I don't know about black, green, and clear/white, which are all a little out of fashion).

haha i dont know about red being the softest, but i currently own brown and they are VERY soft, to soft for my liking.

You like harder keys, yet you prefer the switch with the softer linear touch?

I'm confused.

i used to own Black switches, LOVED THEM, then switched over to corsair, and friends suggested brown switches, cause they are for both gaming and typing (still uni student so have to type up reports), i was like alright, but after getting the k70 RGB in brown switches i immediately regreted the choice, i should have gone for red.

alot of people mention that brown switches have a tactile feedback that will let you know when the switch has been pressed, but really, i have used this keyboard for so long and i can not tell when the it hits the point, the only time you know if your really really typing slow, then you notice the key hitting.

alot of people mention that brown switches have a tactile feedback that will let you know when the switch has been pressed, but really, i have used this keyboard for so long and i can not tell when the it hits the point, the only time you know if your really really typing slow, then you notice the key hitting.

The tactile feedback is really subtle, I'll concede that much. Ironically enough I find it useful more so when gaming while doing multiple 'taps'.

I think my ultimate favorite would be clear switches, but they aren't that popular right now, and only a select few companies offer them. But you end up paying the price of a K95RGB for a basic mechanical keyboard. Maybe if I get my bonus this year i'll splurge and get one for work.

One day.

Official saying is reds are great for gaming average for typing

brown good for both

blue better for typing and average for gaming.

but you can know only once you try so I'll try all.

I'd agree with this. Browns are still my favorite all around switch. I had a KBT race with blues for a little over a year before selling it off. Great keyboard, solid, and the blues were a joy for typing. I was in college at the time to I had a lot of papers to write.

Now I mostly browse the web and game, so the reds are adequate for me. I'd like to get another deck with browns though for sure.

Long story short, you should just have a keyboard for each switch. :cool::cool:

I used reds (K70 Reds) for the better part of 2 years for mostly typing, light gaming. Too busy to game much. I've recently gone to browns (K95 RGB Brown) and found them to be slightly better for the typing but also very adequate for gaming.

Holy, Mike's (AKA Yellowbeard) last post on these forums. Hes helped so many people. He will definitely be missed.

The tactile feedback is really subtle, I'll concede that much. Ironically enough I find it useful more so when gaming while doing multiple 'taps'.

I think my ultimate favorite would be clear switches, but they aren't that popular right now, and only a select few companies offer them. But you end up paying the price of a K95RGB for a basic mechanical keyboard. Maybe if I get my bonus this year i'll splurge and get one for work.

One day.

Got all keyboards at home. One cheap (about $40, difference with the others was too evident), 1 brand let's say L the best with scissor keys, 1 brand L with brown switches, 1 Corsair K70 blue sw.

my impressions after a day of intense testing:

1) for some1 used to rubber dome keyboards, scissors are much more natural than mechanic, that feel very odd and lead to more mistyping.

2) However, I feel that, while a decent typist like me can be fast with scissors, a skilled typist will get super-fast performance with brown/blue switches.

3) I had the chance to try the Fruit brand scissor keyb. and think it's hugely comfortable, Just,the standard one comes with miniature arrow keys -> unusable for games.

As for brown vs. blue, mechanic vs normal is so unusual to me that still browns and blues feel the same for today.

Maybe I also feel uncomfortable because mechanical keyboards very rarely come with my layout (italian): I think we all look at the keys a little more than we are aware we do, and a foreign layout makes this come out :D:

anyway, when I happen to type right the mechanic is unbelievably speedy.

As for the noise, I admit I like it :D, no idea why.

No need to say that there's no comparison if it is about gaming.

As a long-term Blues guy, I've been blown away at how nice the K95 RGB Browns are. My Blue Filco is modded with spherical caps, but when I changed it back to the thinner stock caps a year after swapping them out, I found the Blue 'snap' unbearable! The sphericals give the Blues a 'Browner' vibe; a bit of snap with a softer, more linear stroke. Really nice. Here are the caps:

http://www.keyboardco.com/product/double_shot_filco_104_key_usa_keyset-image.asp

I've been trying the G910 for a couple of weeks too, and although it's a disaster in many ways, the new Romer-G switches are...very impressive. Better for FPS than any Cherry switch in my tests. Well done Logitech, but let's try wrapping them up in something less silly.

My first Topre keyboard should arrive today...that'll be interesting ;-)

• 2 years later...

I know that I'm replying to an old post, but I wanted to give my perspective as someone who has tried many keyboards. I play a lot of games (i.e. action, shooters, basically games that require "keyboard pounding"). As an advocate, I do a lot of letter writing as well. I have been using the K95 Brown for nearly 4 years now. In my opinion, it as the best model for those who love gaming but also need a quality typing keyboard. So, if you need something for both uses I believe the Brown model will make anyone a happy user.

Hello, I want to purchase my first mechanical keyboard. Things you read around the Internet are confusing because there's any sort of opinion. I can't try the keyb. before purchase, and, my use being 80% typing-20% relaxed playing (adventure, puzzle, retro gaming) I know red switches are not my best choice. But how do I choose between brown and blue? Also, someone says the red ones are best for writing too :sigh!: :confused:

I'd like to get a comparison of how each type feels by someone who knows all 3.

Archived