Corsair Community

Questions about using 2 sticks in Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi.

lalittle

I have some questions about installing 2 2GB sticks in an Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi:

- The Corsair "Memory Finder" is recommending TW3X4G1600C9DHX for my Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi. This motherboard is only 1333 by default, so it needs to be overclocked in order to run the memory at 1600. If I don't want to overclock the system, do I have to do anything to get the TW3X4G1600C9DHX sticks to run at 1333, or will they automatically run at 1333 unless I do something special to get them to run at 1600? In other words, what will the "Automatic" settings on the motherboard (Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi) end up running the memory at? Is it the memory's default settings or the motherboards default settings that sets the default speed of the memory?

- Regarding the voltage, am I correct in assuming that I will need to set this higher than the motherboard's default setting? The Corsair specs say this memory needs to run at 1.8v, but in the Asus manual it list this as a "Yellow" condition, meaning that it's higher than optimum voltage and could require extra cooling. How "serious" is this concern?

- If I'm not going to overclock, am I better off just getting some 1333 sticks, or will underclocked 1600 offer any performance or reliability advantages?

- The Asus manual has some specific instructions for using X.M.P. profiles. It says to use A1 and B1 for 1600 sticks, but for 1333 sticks it says to use A1 and A2, which is counter to the manual's "general" recommendations for installing memory (which recommends using A1 and B1.) If I follow the "X.M.P." instructions, I have to go AGAINST the "recommended memory configuration" instructions, so I am really confused what the best configuration is, and why it recommends different slot configurations for different memory speeds.

It seems like the X.M.P. instructions will result in 1333 memory NOT running in dual channel mode. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Larry

• Corsair Employee

Before we go any further, can you clarify what memory you intend to use? We don't currently manufacture or sell 4GB modules.

Also, XMP has nothing to do with dual channel. If you insert 2 modules into the proper slots and initiate the XMP profile, the memory controller will use the RAM in dual channel.

Before we go any further, can you clarify what memory you intend to use? We don't currently manufacture or sell 4GB modules.

Sorry -- that should have been 2 2GB modules for a TOTAL of 4GB. I'll fix my initial post.

Also, XMP has nothing to do with dual channel. If you insert 2 modules into the proper slots and initiate the XMP profile, the memory controller will use the RAM in dual channel.

The source of my confusion is that in the Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi manual, the "Recommended Memory Configuration" table says that two 1333 sticks should be placed in slots A1 and B1 (i.e. one in A and one in B.) In the "X.M.P. DIMM Installation Recommendation" table, however, it says that 2 1333 sticks should be placed in either "A1 and A2" OR "B1 and B2" (i.e. BOTH in A or BOTH in B.) This contradicts the previous table's recommendations.

On top of this, the "X.M.P. DIMM Installation Recommendation" table says that 1600 sticks should be placed in "A1 and B1" OR "A2 and B2." This does not match the recommendations for 1333 sticks in the same table.

Why the two different recommendations for 1333 vs 1600, and why the contradiction between the two tables for 1333 sticks?

Thanks,

Larry

I'm not going to get into a why guessing game. You can contact Asus for those questions.

http://www.slashgear.com/gallery/data_files/7/4/ASUS_P5E3_Deluxe_motherboard_2.jpg

This is your motherboard. I will give you instructions if you will follow them. Otherwise your best bet is to contact Asus and ask them why they have....

• Corsair Employee

In short, XMP will work with 2 modules and not 4. 4 modules are not part of the XMP standard and BIOS settings with 4 up are best done manually. And, with 2 modules in the proper slots or 4 modules, your MOBO will operate the memory in dual channel. Also, I don't think there are any XMP profiles for 1333 so the XMP info does not apply to them.

Does that cover what you need to know as far as our modules go? As Derek noted, that configuration table was produced by ASUS and they are the best source of info on "why" for that table.

In short, XMP will work with 2 modules and not 4. 4 modules are not part of the XMP standard and BIOS settings with 4 up are best done manually.

I'm not using 4 modules, so this isn't an issue for me.

And, with 2 modules in the proper slots or 4 modules, your MOBO will operate the memory in dual channel. Also, I don't think there are any XMP profiles for 1333 so the XMP info does not apply to them.

Okay -- forget about my asking "why." My question is which chart to use (and therefore which slots to use) for the memory configuration. Do I obey the "Recommended Memory Configuration" table and put 1333 modules in slots A1 and B1, or do I obey the "X.M.P. DIMM Installation Recommendation" table and put 1333 modules in A1 and A2? I've read that you need to have equal amounts of memory in "A" and "B," so I get the impression that the "X.M.P. DIMM Installation Recommendation" table is incorrect, but I was hoping I could get some confirmation on this. Note that this forum seems to be more reliable than the Asus forums, so I'm asking here.

Does that cover what you need to know as far as our modules go? As Derek noted, that configuration table was produced by ASUS and they are the best source of info on "why" for that table.

I'm still very interested in getting any feedback to the first three questions of my original post.

From Derek:

This is your motherboard. I will give you instructions if you will follow them.

I'm interested in any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Larry

Do I obey the "Recommended Memory Configuration" table and put 1333 modules in slots A1 and B1, or do I obey the "X.M.P. DIMM Installation Recommendation" table and put 1333 modules in A1 and A2?

The manual is in error. The two orange are Dual Channel slots and the two brown are dual channel slots. For overclocking the two brown are the best slots as they are tuned for higher speeds. The yellow colors are indicative of JEDEC DRAM voltages which are 1.5v. This is higher voltage DRAM as specified on the modules. You can buy vanilla JEDEC Dram if you want lower voltages. You are warranted for up to and including 2.0v on those modules. No need to buy high end DRAM if you are not going to run overclocked in my view.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28603&vpn=TW3X4G1333C9DHX&manufacture=Corsair

For a two slot 1333 DRAM configuration. Set the modules to the Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and slot 3. (Orange Slots). Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Download Memtest Version 2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS and set to these values, save and shut down.

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = Auto
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
FSB = 333
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Disabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled
  Relax Level = 8 
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = 1.6v
NB Voltage = 1.35v
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Disabled
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = 67%
NB GTL Voltage Reference: 63%
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

USB Legacy Mode = Disabled (For Memtest, Enabled Afterwards)

Boot to the Memtest CD and allow for two full passes. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

If you want overclock settings for 1600Mhz on the DRAM and 400Mhz on the CPU, please request.

Hello lalittle,

I have the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Wi-Fi as well (please see my systems specs for full detials.) I have the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX running at full 1600MHz in the orange slots with full stability with BIOS version 1109. It is an older BIOS I know but I have, and many others as well, found that this BIOS is the most stable with the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX DDR3 memory.

DerekT provided values at DDR3-1333 and he can also provide DDR3-1600 if you wish to overclock. I can also, if you wish, provide my values that I used to achieve stability in my system.

This thread may provide some additional information:

http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=72044

Another thread on xtremesystms.org for additional research:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163694

Also, please complete your profile by entering your full system spces and please be as specific as possible including your BIOS revision for your P5E3 Deluxe Wi-Fi.

In addition to the great assistance you will receive in this forum, if I may be of humble assistance, please let me know. :D:

Thanks for the responses.

The manual is in error. The two orange are Dual Channel slots and the two brown are dual channel slots. For overclocking the two brown are the best slots as they are tuned for higher speeds.

That's the confirmation I was looking for -- I suspected that the "X.M.P." table was in error given that my understanding was, as you said, to use either both orange or both brown slots. Kind of surprising that such an obvious error made it into the manual.

For a two slot 1333 DRAM configuration. Set the modules to the Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and slot 3. (Orange Slots).

Is there any specific reason or advantage to using the orange slots? You said that the brown slots (or I believe black in my case) were "tuned for higher speeds," so why not just always use these?

Thanks for posting all the values.

If you want overclock settings for 1600Mhz on the DRAM and 400Mhz on the CPU, please request.

Just out of curiosity, if using 1600 RAM at 1333, would I use ALL the 1333 values posted above, or should "some" of the values be set differently due to the fact that the sticks are underclocked 1600 (i.e. things like the voltage)? I ask this for two reasons. 1) I may want to get the 1600 and try overclocking at some point, but I still want the "option" to not overclock, and 2) the prices are so close at this point that if it doesn't cause any DISadvantages, I feel like I might as well get the faster 1600 RAM. (If I do overclock, than I will indeed want to get the 1600 values.)

On this note, other than price, are there ANY disadvantages to getting 1600 RAM and running it at 1333. I read through the other threads linked below, which talked about it being best to run RAM at the speed it was "designed" for, but does this mean that running 1600 RAM at 1333 could potentially cause problems that running 1333 RAM at 1333 would avoid? I just want to be totally clear on this.

Thanks again for all the help,

Larry

In response to other questions above, I'm using an Core 2 Duo E8400 processor. The P5E3 Deluxe WiFi BIOS is currently 1203, but I would update this to the latest one which is currently 1409 and states "1. Enhance compatibility with certain memory modules." (Does anyone know what modules this refers to?)

Regarding the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX sticks mentioned above as being the most stable, If I DID get 1600 RAM, I think I'd probably stick with the TW3X4G1333C9DHX modules. The C7 modules are between 3 and 4 times more expensive, which actually IS a notable difference (unlike the price difference between C9 versions of the 1333 and 1600 modules, which is less than $15.)

On this note, how much "overall" real world difference would I see between 1333 and 1600 modules? I'm trying to weigh the speed differences against the potentially higher stability/reliability of a non-overclocked system.

Larry

Is there any specific reason or advantage to using the orange slots? You said that the brown slots (or I believe black in my case) were "tuned for higher speeds," so why not just always use these?

The first and third slots are tuned for 1333Mhz and the Northbridge chipset latencies are set tighter at that speed, and give better performance at that speed than the looser chipset latencies of the second and fourth slots.

Running 1600 at 1333 won't hurt anything.

You might want to check out the enthusiast performance forums.

http://www.overclock.net

http://www.ocforums.com

are two very good forums.

Just out of curiosity, if using 1600 RAM at 1333, would I use ALL the 1333 values posted above, or should "some" of the values be set differently due to the fact that the sticks are underclocked 1600 (i.e. things like the voltage)? I ask this for two reasons. 1) I may want to get the 1600 and try overclocking at some point, but I still want the "option" to not overclock, and 2) the prices are so close at this point that if it doesn't cause any DISadvantages, I feel like I might as well get the faster 1600 RAM. (If I do overclock, than I will indeed want to get the 1600 values.)

On this note, other than price, are there ANY disadvantages to getting 1600 RAM and running it at 1333. I read through the other threads linked below, which talked about it being best to run RAM at the speed it was "designed" for, but does this mean that running 1600 RAM at 1333 could potentially cause problems that running 1333 RAM at 1333 would avoid? I just want to be totally clear on this.

Thanks again for all the help,

Larry

• 9 years later...

Hi.

Although this topic is really old, I am still using this motherboard and I need your help. I have some troubles with the memory modules for years and I never made it to make them totally stable. I am using 4 modules of 2GB, so in total 8GB. As I have read almost everywhere, this motherboard seems to not like 4 modules of memory and become unstable when you fill them all.

But it seems that when I do minor changes at the AI Tweaker, sometimes the system responses better. For example tonight I decided to change the NB voltage from auto to 1.37v and for first time in the life of this pc, everything loads in a fraction of a second, so this was big surprise for me!

I was wondering, what could it be the correct settings for the memories and other components in this motherboard finally?

My cpu is the q9550, the motherboard is the p5e3 deluxe wifi@n and the memories are the G.Skilll F3-10666CL7Q-8GBXH at 1.5v

I know that this is a corsair forum, but it would be really helpful if you can guide me to do the correct settings at this bios, as I haven't had any luck at G.Skilll or Asus forums at the past, so I quit trying.

My main problem is that I have random display driver crashes and before I change the NB voltage, the pc was lagging and the memory consumption was high. Now I see a 20% reduction at memory consumption and the pc became ultra fast, so I am sure if someone can help me configure the bios correctly, this old nightmare will finish!

My settings now is these:

AI Tweaker

Configure System Performance Settings
Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 8.5
FSB Strap to Northbridge = Auto
FSB = 333
PCIE Frequency = 100
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
CAS# Latency =  7
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 7
RAS# PRE Time = 7
RAS# ACT Time = 21
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Auto
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto
Ai Clock Twister = Auto
Transaction Booster = Auto
CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = Auto
DRAM Voltage = Auto
NB Voltage = 1.37v
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Auto
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = Auto
NB GTL Voltage Reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum = Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Auto

Thanks in advance!

Ps: Dear DerekT, if you are still active in this forum, please give me your lights!

Archived