Corsair Community

Need a help for CMW16GX4M2C3600C18

Baio

Hello there,

I can't manage to set the RAM in object at their target speed (3600 CAS18).

I'm using them togheter with a Ryzen 2700X CPU and an Asus CrossHair Hero VII WiFi motherboard.

No way I can set them above 3400MHz... RAM beeps. Tried up to 1.4v.

Every other BIOS value set to Auto, no CPU OC.

Has anyone some advice to suggest me?

Thanks!

Baio

You will likely need to configure your BIOS/UEFI for your ram kit. Also keep in mind the BIOS/UEFI version will likely influence your memory compatibility as well.

(keep in mind anything above DDR4-2933 is an overclock for your processor so success may very)

see the following article

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-memory-tweaking-overclocking-guide/

You may want to get the SPD chip info (using thaiphoon or hwinfo64) so you can get the correct information to input into Ryzen DRAM Calculator.

Per the article setting ProcODT, RTT, and CAD_BUS values can help in cases getting to POST and reducing errors.

Try DRAM Calculators recommended values for those options to get to POST then work your way to reducing errors.

I've had mixed results trying to use Ryzen DRAM Calculator in the past but likely because I was using it improperly or specifying the incorrect memory type for example.

In particular I think a key factor to using the XMP button properly in DRAM Calculator (to bring in your ram timings) is to first configure a lower verified stable frequency before using DRAM Calculator.

For example if your XMP profile is 16-18-18-36-54-6-9-36-560 (tCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC-tRRDS-tRRDL-tFAW-tRFC) at DDR4-3200 (but you can't get 3200 to work) then reconfigure the frequency starting from 2133 going up until it fails. Back down until you get a stable operating frequency. Then when you go to use the XMP button in DRAM Calculator it will pull in the time in nanoseconds for your memory that already works at a stable state and will likely suggest timings accordingly as you adjust the calculator for the desired frequency. It's much easier to work your timings from that point trying to see what suggestions from the DRAM calculator work better or not.

In my case I used the debug profile option to enter my memory timings in nanoseconds that that appears to work ok as a starting point too for troubleshooting.

Edited by A Computer Guy

Thanks for your replay.

When I use Dram Calculator to get 3600 values, I get the error "Limit for GEN 1 is reached"... what does it mean?

Tried to set the timing as Calculator's states… the situation has worsen.

Now I'm writing @3200MHz, can't set it above. If I set RAM speed step by step sometimes I reach 3333, but not 3400.

A couple of times I managed to set 3466, 3500 never was able to.

The strangest thing is that I've saved the timings and volts values to recall them all in a time when I get RAM beeps. In this record RAM is set to 2133, because if I save something higher than 3000 I get beeps.

I've never managed such a strange motherboad/RAM combination… it seems that the exactly same BIOS values sometimes work and sometimes not! :mad:

Baio

Edited by Baio

Thanks for your replay.

When I use Dram Calculator to get 3600 values, I get the error "Limit for GEN 1 is reached"... what does it mean?

The memory frequency for 1st gen Ryzen processors are likely more limited so I guess 3600 may not be possible in that scenario.

The 2700x is a zen+ processor so in the processor drop down you need to select "Ryzen + gen".

... In this record RAM is set to 2133, because if I save something higher than 3000 I get beeps.

I've never managed such a strange motherboard/RAM combination… it seems that the exactly same BIOS values sometimes work and sometimes not! :mad:

Baio

I don't have 1st hand experience with your board however refer to your motherboard manual for the meaning of the beep codes. Also your board has a diagnostic LED. Does it report anything meaningful?

The memory frequency for 1st gen Ryzen processors are likely more limited so I guess 3600 may not be possible in that scenario.

The 2700x is a zen+ processor so in the processor drop down you need to select "Ryzen + gen".

Done, got the same values, except for a little bit lower SOC Voltage.

I don't have 1st hand experience with your board however refer to your motherboard manual for the meaning of the beep codes. Also your board has a diagnostic LED. Does it report anything meaningful?

I didnt' take note of the Q-Code, I'll do the next time.

But RAM beeps are… RAM beeps.

Baio

3466 is the max supported DRAM frequency on that board for 2000 series processors, unless Asus has done some fine tuning in recent BIOS releases. Either way, 3600 if possible would be very much on the edge of stability. Not everyone wants to live with that. I am not sure why it is giving you the "Gen 1 error" since you don't have a 1000 series Ryzen. If you did, you would be lucky to run 3000.

3466 is the max supported DRAM frequency on that board for 2000 series processors, unless Asus has done some fine tuning in recent BIOS releases. Either way, 3600 if possible would be very much on the edge of stability. Not everyone wants to live with that. I am not sure why it is giving you the "Gen 1 error" since you don't have a 1000 series Ryzen. If you did, you would be lucky to run 3000.

My previous kit of G.Skill 3600CAS16 worked fine at that speed, can't understand why I can't run those Corsair @ their stock speed.

Baio

Asus' specification page for that motherboard lists 3466 as the maximum supported RAM speed. The error message is consistent with that, although it is unclear why it thinks you have a Gen 1 chip. As suggested above, make sure your BIOS is up to date and the motherboard's behavior is probably best answered by Asus.

Asus' specification page for that motherboard lists 3466 as the maximum supported RAM speed. The error message is consistent with that, although it is unclear why it thinks you have a Gen 1 chip. As suggested above, make sure your BIOS is up to date and the motherboard's behavior is probably best answered by Asus.

BIOS is up to date, the "Gen 1 Chip" is an error from Calculator (downloaded the latest version but timings values are the same.

The motherboard supports even higher RAM speeds, but I can't understand why I can't set them even leaving timings on "Auto"... the mobo should adjust them, but it does not.

Baio

Just some random questions out of curiosity.

Are your memory modules inserted into the A2 and B2 slots?

What is the version number of your model CMW16GX4M2C3600C18?

Hi,

Slots er A2-B2 (I can't use the other two due to the H80's USB connector).

Where can I read the version number of the RAM? In iCue I can see they have firmware rev. 0.96.57.

Baio

Done, got the same values, except for a little bit lower SOC Voltage.

I didnt' take note of the Q-Code, I'll do the next time.

But RAM beeps are… RAM beeps.

Baio

On page 2-21 of your manual describes the beep codes.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO_WI-FI/E13834_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VII_HERO_WI-FI_UM_WEB.pdf

Which item is identified by the beep code you are receiving?

No one?

Baio

I don't know if I can really help in terms of getting you to 3600 but I can probably for 2933 or 3200. (assuming if the settings are right the beep code may go away) Extract your SPD chip information and post it here.

Be sure to include the nanosecond timings as well. (use HWiNFO64 or Thaiphoon)

I don't know if I can really help in terms of getting you to 3600 but I can probably for 2933 or 3200. (assuming if the settings are right the beep code may go away) Extract your SPD chip information and post it here.

Be sure to include the nanosecond timings as well. (use HWiNFO64 or Thaiphoon)

Thanks again.

Here is Thaipoon extract:

SPD.jpg

Here is what Calculator says:

Cattura.png

But with those values I can't post higher than 3466.

Baio

Thanks again.

Here is Thaipoon extract:

SPD.jpg

Here is what Calculator says:

Cattura.png

But with those values I can't post higher than 3466.

Baio

Great just need one more screen shot of Ryzen Dram Calculator where your configured and running at 3200 w/XMP then in DRAM Calc use the V1 profile and XMP button and turn on compare timings (they will be listed in blue when shown).

Also if you're running at 3200 does memtest86 report any errors? Just a few, a lot, or none?

Edited by A Computer Guy

Great just need one more screen shot of Ryzen Dram Calculator where your configured and running at 3200 w/XMP then in DRAM Calc use the V1 profile and XMP button and turn on compare timings (they will be listed in blue when shown).

Also if you're running at 3200 does memtest86 report any errors? Just a few, a lot, or none?

Sorry, I'm not so skilled with Dram Calculator… che you please write step by step what I'm supposed to do to get the screenshot?

Baio

Sorry, I'm not so skilled with Dram Calculator… check you please write step by step what I'm supposed to do to get the screenshot?

Baio

Yes no problem, Instructions:

1) I want a base line that we know works without memory errors. (ignoring the beep code for the moment) I am assuming you are working ok at DDR4-3200 except that ram beep issue. Be sure by at least running 1 pass of memtest86. If you get errors (I want to know what tests failed and the counts) then step down in speed by one until you get one that passes using your downclocked XMP profile.

2) In dram calculator just fill out the options again just with the following adjustments.

3) Set "Profile Version" to "V1" instead of "debug". (this will disable nanosecond inputs - this is ok)

4) Set "Frequency" to match you current running frequency "3200"

5) Click the big purple XMP button

6) Click the big grey "Compare Timings" button

7) Click the bit green "Calculate Safe" button

8) Take the screen shot and post it back here.

Just FYI, I am tinkering with my new CPU upgrade so I may not be quick to reply.

Edited by A Computer Guy

Yes no problem, Instructions:

1) I want a base line that we know works without memory errors. (ignoring the beep code for the moment) I am assuming you are working ok at DDR4-3200 except that ram beep issue. Be sure by at least running 1 pass of memtest86. If you get errors (I want to know what tests failed and the counts) then step down in speed by one until you get one that passes using your downclocked XMP profile.

2) In dram calculator just fill out the options again just with the following adjustments.

3) Set "Profile Version" to "V1" instead of "debug". (this will disable nanosecond inputs - this is ok)

4) Set "Frequency" to match you current running frequency "3200"

5) Click the big purple XMP button

6) Click the big grey "Compare Timings" button

7) Click the bit green "Calculate Safe" button

8) Take the screen shot and post it back here.

Just FYI, I am tinkering with my new CPU upgrade so I may not be quick to reply.

Here it is, hope I did it well.

Memtest is ok.

Baio

Ps. which CPU did you upgrade to?

New.thumb.png.cd170c9d04382bc29bb6ef1f8bcc8d6d.png

Here it is, hope I did it well.

Memtest is ok.

Baio

Ps. which CPU did you upgrade to?

Got a 3800x. It's seems awesome but now I have a few issues to reconcile.

(early adopter sigh)

(I've been retroactively updating this post in case others are upgrading their Ryzen CPU's as well and are having ram issues.)

1) As expected I have to reconfigure my ram again but I was hoping it would be easier this time around considering 3000 series supports 3200 out of the box. Right now I'm running my XMP down-clocked to 2933. Unfortunately my guess/hope about using the 3000 processor wan't quite right and my ram kit still continues to have issues with the XMP 3200 for tRC and maybe tCL too but I will have to troubleshoot it more.

(I was hoping my XMP 3200 would finally work at stock timings)

It could be a compatibility issue (the ram I have was advertised for Intel systems after all but my mobo is perhaps not that great either) and possibly adjustment for Ryzen is not avoidable.

I did get the CPU push 3400 on AUTO which I could not before, and at 1.2v, passing at least 1 pass with memtest86. This was surprising considering it's XMP is rated for 1.35v at 3200. At 3600 it wouldn't post but I wonder if it can with the right settings.

At this point I want to work my way back up to the stable 3200 I had previously using my config that worked and benched really well with my Ryzen 2600.

(update #1: BIOS/UEFI P3.40 helped with compatibility http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=1011847#post1011847)

(update #2: Managed to OC my DDR4-3200 kit to DDR4-3600!)

2) I need to research if my CPU temps are normal. With the non-centered die I wonder if I didn't apply enough thermal paste to sufficiently cover the chip in offset area. At post I get 55c but the new Ryzen Master reports temps bouncing all over the place from 40c to 60c however with CPUz stress test it reaches 78c which I guess isn't too bad.

(update #1: 95c is max so these temps are not problematic, similar results elsewhere on internet, use and adjust ryzen power plan to throttle CPU to control thermals (will reduce performance) set max=99% to reduce to 34c and cap 3.8GHz boost, max=100% & min=0% full performance and thermals)

(update #2: Updating to Windows 10 19.03 shows improvement as my max temp went from 78c to 73c)

3) I need to research if my voltages I'm getting are normal. I almost had a panic attack when it posted at 1.488v but from what I read the other day this may be normal because of several factors and the processors ability to automatically manage the voltages.

(update #1: voltages normal https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/)

(update #2: more about voltage https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cjzax5/amd_cant_say_this_publicly_so_i_will_half_of_the/)

4) I need to research if the newer AGESA updates that ASRock still hasn't pushed down to x470. The CPU seemed to boost to 4.5GHz no problem. All core 4.2GHz in CPUz stress test. Haven't messed with PBO yet I think it's default state is disabled even when it says AUTO.

(update #1: AGESA 1.0.0.1 is working fine I think, AMD is having issues with 1.0.0.3ABA https://www.techpowerup.com/257514/amd-agesa-1-0-0-3aba-buggy-company-pulls-it-from-motherboard-vendors)

(update #2: Memory compatibility improved with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB)

5) The ASRock BIOS/UEFI opened up with a lot of new options. I now understand why ASRock BIOS/UEFI is a mess and I have to figure out the correct place to modify settings and deal with the new quirks and things that don't appear to be working right.

(update #1: SOC config now located in Advanced/CBS/NBIO/XFR, AUTO worked ok but didn't want BIOS/UEFI to change it on me between cold boots so I set a static value)

(update #2: New BIOS/UEFI P3.40 (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) seems improved and cleaned up UI.

6) Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64 don't seem agree on CPU usage at all.

(update: polling differences)

7) iCue is causing an issue. It's hitting the CPU hard pushing boosting way up including core voltage and thermals. I can drop to low 30's-c on idle and voltages drop after I close iCue.

(update: just seems to be a nuisance issue, I have comments here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188734 and here http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=188911)

8) DRAM Calculator is broken and thinks the CPU is an Intel processor. I have to wait for a new DRAM Calculator which makes things more difficult. Also until a new version is available it will be harder for me to help you. I was going to use it to map out a series of combinations for you to try but now I'm SOL on that, or at least it will take more back and forth and a bit more effort. I'll probably have something for you to try in a few days.

(update #1: partially functional, updating chipset drivers was needed)

(update #2: new dram calculator https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/)

(update #3: new dram calculator didn't support making a config for my memory overclock from 3200 to 3600 but it worked anyway)

Edited by A Computer Guy

Got a 3800x. It's seems awesome but now I have a few issues to reconcile.

(early adopter sigh)

1) As expected I have to reconfigure my ram again but I was hoping it would be easier this time around considering 3000 series supports 3200 out of the box. Right now I'm running my XMP down-clocked to 2933. Unfortunately my guess/hope about using the 3000 processor wan't quite right and my ram kit still continues to have issues with the XMP 3200 for tRC and maybe tCL too but I will have to troubleshoot it more.

(I was hoping my XMP 3200 would finally work at stock timings)

It could be a compatibility issue (the ram I have was advertised for Intel systems after all but my mobo is perhaps not that great either) and possibly adjustment for Ryzen is not avoidable.

I did get the CPU push 3400 on AUTO which I could not before, and at 1.2v, passing at least 1 pass with memtest86. This was surprising considering it's XMP is rated for 1.35v at 3200. At 3600 it wouldn't post but I wonder if it can with the right settings.

At this point I want to work my way back up to the stable 3200 I had previously using my config that worked and benched really well with my Ryzen 2600.

2) I need to research if my CPU temps are normal. With the non-centered die I wonder if I didn't apply enough thermal paste to sufficiently cover the chip in offset area. At post I get 55c but the new Ryzen Master reports temps bouncing all over the place from 40c to 60c however with CPUz stress test it reaches 78c which I guess isn't too bad.

3) I need to research if my voltages I'm getting are normal. I almost had a panic attack when it posted at 1.488v but from what I read the other day this may be normal because of several factors and the processors ability to automatically manage the voltages.

4) I need to research if the newer AGESA updates that ASRock still hasn't pushed down to x470 addresses temp/voltage/PB/PBO issues. The CPU seemed to boost to 4.5GHz no problem. All core 4.2GHz in CPUz stress test. Haven't messed with PBO yet I think it's default state is disabled even when it says AUTO.

5) The ASRock BIOS/UEFI opened up with a lot of new options. I now understand why ASRock BIOS/UEFI is a mess and I have to figure out the correct place to modify settings and deal with the new quirks and things that don't appear to be working right.

6) Ryzen Master and HWiNFO64 don't agree on CPU usage at all.

7) iCue is causing an issue. It's hitting the CPU hard pushing boosting way up including core voltage and thermals. I can drop to low 30's-c on idle and voltages drop after I close iCue.

8) DRAM Calculator is broken and thinks the CPU is an Intel processor. I have to wait for a new DRAM Calculator which makes things more difficult. Also until a new version is available it will be harder for me to help you. I was going to use it to map out a series of combinations for you to try but now I'm SOL on that, or at least it will take more back and forth and a bit more effort. I'll probably have something for you to try in a few days.

A lot of work for you!

As I suspected reading around, new CPUs means new problems.

I can't state if it's on mobo producers or it's on AMD's Agesa, but 1 year (and more) after i bought CPU and mobo, things continue to be unstable and maybe get worse rather than better.

And that is upsetting.

Baio