Corsair Community

Spammer?

Just curious: Why isn't it easy to do it on a iPad? vBulletin is pretty conservative with CSS, JS and mobile layouts, so I don't see it being problematic on iPad.

But why not add a better captcha? Yes, I know vBulletin is a bit cumbersome with plugins, but then it could be better switching to phpBB that have a lot more plugins, and even possible to combine multiple captchas so they all must succeed to allow registration.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe make the filter auto-ban instead. Eg, if the post contains any of the Words that convert to the "please report me" sentence, the post is rejected and user is auto-banned. In combination with a good captcha, it will stop the bots. There is such plugins for phpBB, and also, you could even have some vulgary Words to trigger auto-warnings and such.

This will lessen the burden on the moderators since the forum software will auto-moderate more.

Maybe make the filter auto-ban instead. Eg, if the post contains any of the Words that convert to the "please report me" sentence, the post is rejected and user is auto-banned. In combination with a good captcha, it will stop the bots. There is such plugins for phpBB, and also, you could even have some vulgary Words to trigger auto-warnings and such.

This will lessen the burden on the moderators since the forum software will auto-moderate more.

Those tend to ahve false positives though.

Would be a shame if a legitimate customer were auto-flagged and banned for spamming "buy ****** in Canada on the internet" ads, when he might be talking about something completely different.

Thats why great care is needed when setting up the wordlists. Some Words do only appear in spam and nowhere else, and those can be used. Also some software supports the use of regexp for defining filters, thus you could define the filters such as so it checks that multiple specific Words are present Before banning.

There is Always a tradeoff, but somewhere there is a bounday, "here, we know its 100% spam", thus its safe to autoban.

Something along the lines of 95+ of spammer registrations are already stopped before they can register. Can't stop them all, and can't stop a human from registering and then putting the login information into a spam bot. CAPTCHA's easily beatable anyway.

Archived