Corsair Community

Problems with new K70 RGB I got today. :(

tambeshakunt

So after a lot of waiting, I managed to get the K70 RGB today.

I connected it up and after a while of reading around , got to grips with the basics of CUE.

So at this I have two problems that are most important:

1) After booting into Windows, K70 RGB returns to default red+white profile and even if I select my custom profile, it has no effect on the keys. I have to everytime create a new profile for the colours to change.

2) When I turn PC off, the keyboard stays lit and cycles between the default white+Red and the default colour wave. I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 - same story.

I really like the K70 RGB so far but if these problems can't be solved I will have to return it because they are too major to ignore. :o:

Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for being a newbie!

Turning on the EUP and i think ECH functions onf your motherboard through your BIOS/UEFI should alleviate the problem with #2.

Also check out some of the USB power-save settings you have in Windows (type power in start menu and choose power options, and go to plan settings and advanced options and try enabling USB power saving feature).

The first problem. No idea, far to many variations of configurations of USB profiles within motherboard manufactures to concretely come up with a non-firmware based solution or workaround to the problem that will work for everyone. That is because of the on-going initialization problems with the keyboard hardware/software wise, and just odd settings that I can't tell when they work and when they dont, and why. Pair that with either USB 3.0 ports working differently for some people (such as disabling legacy mode by default in some motherboards), and the fact that the keyboard also has profiling which can be initiated with 1 USB 3 port or 2 USB 2.0 (one for power, and one for data I assume), you then begin to see the mess this is.

Hopefully the November update (touted as at least a fix or hopefully workaround to the USB issue) will -if not add many features- will at least put a rest to these detection issues, and weird default lighting parameters that are initiated at random (sometimes pre POST, and most of the time after) intervals.

But more than anything, personally speaking, CUE needs to be simplified/functions made straight forward. What people dont understand is that they made the keyboard with software in mind that will respect USB protocols and standards, its just a shame many motherboard manufactures dont have set guide-lines for such standards, and its left in the hands of the users to get things going as they should driverside/BIOS. The problem is worse with high-end boards since they come out-of-USB standards out the factory (due to the stupidity and needs of oversimplifying/defaulting to overclockers desires such as fast boot times and things of that nature that really mess with how USB works and initializes).

They keyboard has some advanced tech never seen before on other keyboards, there is a monumental task ahead to bring about the reality we were expecting from this thing. LUA implementation seems much further away in light of all of this.

Thanks for the extensive reply.

For #2 I tried the ERP enabled and it does fix it because no usb ports then have power. Although this is fix, I would like to have usb ports to be powered even when system is off so I can do things like charge wireless headset etc.. I hope there is a firmware update for the K70 that fixes this and I can go back to having Erp Off. According to BillRathbone above, this is expected in November ? Anyway....can make do with it for now.

For #1. I understand that this can be very complex but come on this is the main feature of this keyboard right? - Customisable lighting!

---- If I can't even do that then what is the point of buying the RGB? My main problem is that the lighting profile doesn't stay after reboot. I even tried saving to device memory but then the waves and ripples don't work. :(

Thanks for all the help so far but looks like there's still some teething issues that need to be fixed - I know Corsair is working on it!

Can you go into the default profile and create several modes (rgb styles you like) and then bind a key to switch between the modes? The computer boots up and goes to the red with white asdf and then hit whatever key to cycle between the various styles you like? This is what Ive done until there is a better solution.

Two ideas I would try. First right click the CUE icon in the right bottom hidden icon tray. See if it shows your profiles and click the one you want to see if they work. Make sure the profile you want as default is set as default. I had to delete the saved profile and do the following: Use the standard default as what comes on during the boot up process. Then I have several other profiles that I use by hitting a button on the default (boot up) profile that I set to change to other profiles. Doing this has eliminated the profile issues I had with booting up and sleep issues. While this may not be ideal it works and I can wait for the software fixes down the road.

I have no idea why the win lock thing makes any difference but I would guess it has to do with the saved profile to device. If that doesn't work I would delete the profiles. Then unplug the keyboard. Go to device manager and remove all the drivers for keyboards. Power down the computer and wait a bit. Then plug in only the USB 3.0 connection to the 3.0 on your computer and power the computer back on. When I did this I found I had 5 keyboard drivers running at once. I'm pretty sure there were some conflicts going on there. Hopefully one of these will help again until the updates are out. I'm still learning about this keyboard and software as well but these things have worked for me.

Archived