Corsair Community

Bad Memory or Bad GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ?

Thorn14

Hello. 3 Weeks ago I built my new computer. GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 , Intel i7 2600k, and Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB.

Over the weeks I got infrequent BSOD, 3 restarts, and a handful of windows errors. I scanned my Hard Drive which I salvaged for errors and no sector faults. I had an unclean Windows 7 install so I reinstalled windows, but I got another error the morning after I did so.

I've been running Memtest with varying results.

First I thought the issue with my memory was the fact BIOS had the frequency at 1330, not 1600 as per the sticker. So I kept one stick in and changed it to 1600. It was the last most slot on my RAM, so Channel B, I believe listed as DDR3_1

However, I ran Ramtest and it went crazy with errors. I inserted both cards and ran again, same crazy errors.

I changed it back to Auto on BIOS which made it 1330 again and left both cards in and let it run for 6 hours since I had class.

Memtest had crazy text everywhere as if it was corrupted, with one red line on the bottom half when I got back.

Is my memory broken or my motherboard? Or is it something else? I have anxiety problems and this has been giving me stomach problems. :(:

I'm now running it on Channel A, 2nd from CPU, Factor Default settings (I raised it to 1600 again, since thats the default) and BIOS has the timing and voltage correct by default.

I was going to return the sticks tomorrow morning but I only have the box and not the plastic to set it.

I really have no idea what to do and I'm tempted to take it to the shop its stressing me so much.

EDIT: Memtest just went crazy again. Insane text everywhere. Testing it with 2nd stick now, same channel and location and frequency.

Second stick had many errors. I think its faulty. Gonna test with 86+

It's almosyt impossible to get two bad sticks in one kit. Occasionally you might get one bad one but not both. The kits are tested on a MB before thy leave the factory.

All you should have to do is load set-up defaults and enable XMP profile in your BIOS. Also be sure you have the sticks in the correct slots.

Another thing to check is the CPU socket to be sure you do not have any bent pins in there. One bent pin can wreak havoc on a system .

You may also want to try another copy of metest to be sure you do not have something wrong with the one you have. Use the link on the left and grad that one if you have not.

I used Memtest 86+ (I guess regular memtest doesn't like sandy bridge) and it appears that the one with errors is consistent while one of them is fine.

Gonna try to take them back to microcenter.

If I cannot, I guess I"ll just keep the 4GB single channel and try to RMA one of them? Can I do that?

I used Memtest 86+ (I guess regular memtest doesn't like sandy bridge) and it appears that the one with errors is consistent while one of them is fine.

Thats pretty cut and dry then .One fails and the other does not. Return them if you can . If not RMA the entire kit back to Corsair.

1)They will want both sticks for RMA anyway

2)You wouldn't want to return just one so that you receive a matched kit in return.Throwing an unmatched stick in the mix is only asking for more trouble than what you have now.

If downtime is an issue call the CS line and discuss an advanced RMA where they send you the new memory first before you have to return the old.

If another kit does the same thing i would get the MB RMA'd.

Archived