Corsair Community

HX and TX series

jolo10

:roll:

Please let me know if this is correct.

Corsair power supplies have a HX and a TX series.

• What is the difference between the HX and TX lines ??

• Did the HX series came out before the TX series was released. ??

• Does the TX series have power supplies that are of newer and superior quality than the HX line ??

• If the TX is a superior quality line to the HX, why don't the TX models come with modular connectors ??

• The entirety of the HX line are made in China, while at least some of the TX line is made in Japan ?? IS this true ??

I just received a DOA CMPSU-620HX from New Egg. I think ?? there appears to be a batch of ones that happened to be DOA from there. With the cost, etc I was either thinking of returning mine to New Egg for a different manufacturer's power supply , or trying another Corsair, but a step up in quality (if it is a step up), to the 650w TX series (I would love that 750 TX one though), if I can.

I have had only home, custom made PCs for many years. I have used Corsair RAM many times, but this is the first Corsair power supply that I have ordered. Please help me with some feedback.

I will have to move quickly to change the power supply.

Thanks,

Jon

[*]What is the difference between the HX and TX lines ??

Modular cables, fan controller, and the TX750 is mfg'ed by CWT.

[*]Did the HX series came out before the TX series was released. ??

The HX520/620 are the original psu's for Corsair, and to this day they are arguably the best psu's in their class.

[*]Does the TX series have power supplies that are of newer and superior quality than the HX line ??

Newer, yes. Superior, no.

[*]If the TX is a superior quality line to the HX, why don't the TX models come with modular connectors ??

Corsair realized that buyers were looking for cost effective, high powered solutions that featured a single +12V rail.

[*]The entirety of the HX line are made in China, while at least some of the TX line is made in Japan ?? IS this true ??

AFAIK they are all made is Taiwan/China by Seasonic and CWT. All of them feature Japanese capacitors.

I just received a DOA CMPSU-620HX from New Egg. I think ?? there appears to be a batch of ones that happened to be DOA from there. With the cost, etc I was either thinking of returning mine to New Egg for a different manufacturer's power supply , or trying another Corsair, but a step up in quality (if it is a step up), to the 650w TX series (I would love that 750 TX one though), if I can.

You were unlucky the 1st time. You could have ordered a Silverstone and received a defective one as well. Newegg's RMA is top notch, so my advice is to RMA it to them for a new replacement. After Newegg's warranty expires you still have a 5 yr. warranty on your new Corsair psu, and of course some of the best support in the business. :D:

Modular cables, fan controller, and the TX750 is mfg'ed by CWT.

The HX520/620 are the original psu's for Corsair, and to this day they are arguably the best psu's in their class.

Newer, yes. Superior, no.

Corsair realized that buyers were looking for cost effective, high powered solutions that featured a single +12V rail.

AFAIK they are all made is Taiwan/China by Seasonic and CWT. All of them feature Japanese capacitors.

You were unlucky the 1st time. You could have ordered a and received a defective one as well. Newegg's RMA is top notch, so my advice is to RMA it to them for a new replacement. After Newegg's warranty expires you still have a 5 yr. warranty on your new Corsair psu, and of course some of the best support in the business. :D:

What does "Silverstone" mean ?? Bad batches of hardware can occur.

I certainly am aware of the quality of Corsair RAM for years. The packaging and the modular connectors of the CMPSU-620HX, certainly looked great.

Who is CWT ??????

Hmmm. If the TX level is not considered to be a higher quality line, Corsair does market it that way online and they cost more than the HX line. I am very aware of what you mean that a newer line doesn't mean that it is a better line. Especially in this day and age, when so much of off-shored to low cost, low quality manufacturers in China (not Taiwan).

I can tell you about making sure that my Hoener harmonicas are of the variety made in Germany (not China) and the best air circulators (fans) ever made, that used to made for years in the midwest U.S., are now all pretty much cheap crap, made in China as well, Hewlett-Packard printers, media are all manufactured and re-labeled in China. In these cases, one looks to find older models.

Sometimes, in electronics/appliances/computer related items, the U.S. gets special models, different than the rest of the world. They are cheaper and of lower quality. Something to always check. Look at global sites of companies, than the U.S. sites and compare.

Be careful of Seagate hard drives. Seagate is NOT the same company as they were one to two years ago. All of their executive managers have been replaced and the support and quality is now awful. Tech support in unbelievably bad and is all with off-shore contractors who haven't been trained.

Seagate's CEO has been in his position for a year and gives his business address in one of the money laundering capitals of the world, The Canary Islands. All of their executive managers that deal with consumer products have been installed in their positions some time in 2007. Expect their older drives to last longer and forget about getting support with any of their new products.

Thanks,

jon

I'll take your advice and replace my Corsair with New Egg.

What does "Silverstone" mean ?? Bad batches of hardware can occur.
Silverstone is another PSU manufacturer. I think he's trying to say that it's impossible for any company to never have defects slip past their testing processes.

Silverstone is another PSU manufacturer. I think he's trying to say that it's impossible for any company to never have defects slip past their testing processes.

I agree completely !!

It is my experience that with most equipment, especially if it is of higher quality, that if it works fine during the first week, it should be fine for several years after. That it won't wear down too soon. That is a reality of economics these days and having a premium on getting the hardware out quickly.

However,

I do find that when things don't go perfect is many times the opportunity to find out how a companies service really is !! Many companies can get penny wise and dollar foolish and hassle the customer to death. That insures no repeat business.

While others understand that fast and sincere returns can create customer loyalty and really is an opportunity.

I must prefer positive stories about companies, which is getting harder and harder to do.

Two weeks ago, my son bought a Canon all-in-one printer/scanner, that he could not get to work. Unfortunately he waited and waited. He could have returned it within 30 days to the retail store for an exchange. But he called, Canon, 37 days after the purchase. That is seven days after a free return was offered. yet, Canon simply apologized and STILL did that cross-shipping thing. Meaning sent out another one right away, and when it was received, he just took the new one out, put the broken one in the box, and attached the prepaid UPS label to it. As it happened, what he received was a all-in-one printer that cost $50 more than his original.

I have had similar cross-shipping twice before with Canon.

Heck I had it last year with a Fellows shredder. The support person (no off-shored contractors doing support), recognized the problem and shipped out a new Fellows scanner to me and told me not to bother to return the other one.

Then there are the changes in the industry with companies like HP, Netgear, Activision (video games) and now Seagate, where the opposite is now true.

I live in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and where I live, I tend to have feweer and fewer options on getting anything in a "brick and mortor" store. Now that CompUSA bit the dust, the last of the hoards of small and large computer and electronic stores to close, there are very few choices. The stores that are still open (Best Buy and Circuit City) have less variety of inventory. In the past few years, I have been noticing that they are carrying fewer and fewer variety of items. They are staying more with "safer" items. Like only "ugh", Sandisk on flash SD cards, etc.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks,

Jon

• 1 month later...

Jon,

If your willing to do the drive to Denver, I can recommend a great store with a lot of variety up here. Its not even all the way to Denver, just DTC called Microcenter. Its at I-25 and I-225, probably about 90 minutes from Colorado Springs. Also, your second option is definitely Newegg. Between Microcenter and Newegg, I haven't shopped for computer parts at CompUSA, BestBuy, Circuitcity, or mom/pop shops in years as they don't stock the quality items nor have the best prices.

Best of luck,

Brian

Archived