Corsair Community

GTX 1080 coil whine...

cosnisca

There are two things you can try right away. First plug your PC into a different power socket in your home. Should the noise still continue plug the power cord into another socket NOT on the same circuit as the previous one. See if there is a different in pitch or noise level. Another thing you can try which has worked for some forum members over on the EVGA forum is to loop a benchmark or game demo on your PC for 24 hours straight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can hear like a squeak sound when running the Geforce GTX 1080 tests in the Corsair One Diagnostics application. Is it normal, or I should get a replacement?

It's the GPU I guess... That squeaky sound it's not very loud but as my previous computer was a Mac Mini 2014, which was absolutly silent, it's a bit annoying.

And there is more. I can hear also a strange noise when in idle. I uploaded a video (I recommend to turn up your volume):

[ame]

[/ame]

In the video it sounds magnified, but you get the idea.

The sound comes from the left side.

I start the recording from the left to the right, I return back to the left and finally I go far away. You can notice that strange sound coming from the left side. I would like to know from where this sound comes, from the GPU, the PSU, the liquid cooler? Is it normal?

Can you upload videos so we can compare?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee

It's difficult for me to determine what that is. It could be any number of things.

Coil whine, for example, borders on unavoidable and is impossible for us to control for. It has to do with the reference design of the graphics cards and the components used therein; some people are more sensitive to the noise than others just by virtue of having better hearing or hearing that's more sensitive to those frequencies.

A little bit of pump rattle is also going to be unavoidable; we try to keep pump noise as low as possible, but we do have to move coolant through that radiator.

Now that all being said, if the noise is troublesome, you can and should contact our customer service and see if it's something that can be fixed by having your system replaced (i.e. a bad pump, a misaligned blower fan, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...
And there is more. I can hear also a strange noise when in idle. I uploaded a video (I recommend to turn up your volume):

In the video it sounds magnified, but you get the idea.

The sound comes from the left side.

I start the recording from the left to the right, I return back to the left and finally I go far away. You can notice that strange sound coming from the left side. I would like to know from where this sound comes, from the GPU, the PSU, the liquid cooler? Is it normal?

Can you upload videos so we can compare?

I heard this in both of my systems. I can hear it from about 10 feet away. Any ideas on the cause of this? Maybe super human hearing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Hi Sixt1105,

It is difficult to determine what may be the cause of the issue unless we have the unit in person. You can try installing the latest version of C-Link and mask off the sound as Dustin mentioned above. However, we generally recommend you submit the unit in for RMA if it is indeed coil whine. Have you submitted a support ticket or called our technical support?

Archived