Corsair Community

CX430M - Use SATA/Peripheral cable in 6+2PCI-E slot?

theSpooler

As the subject says. There are 3 modular cables that share the same type of plug, but 2 are labeled SATA/Peripheral and one is labeled 6+2 PCI-E.

I have a 5th hard drive (so the two labels SATA/Perhipheral are already used) can I put the MOLEX peripheral cable in the PCI-E spot and put a MOLEX to SATA power connector on it?

If they didn't want me to do this, I would image they would do more than just label the plug, but change the connector to prevent me from doing this.

Here's a pic of the labels on the power supply:

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/directron/corsair-cx430m-cx-series-atx12v-eps12v-430w-modular-power-supply-cp-9020058-na-80-plus-bronze-certified-active-pfc-1.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Corsair Employee

So you plugged the 6-pin side of a PCIe cable into the PSU and the 8-pin side into a graphics card?

Was it a cable that came with the PSU?

You could have fried the PSU or the graphics card... or both. Won't know until you try if with the correct cable.

I had a 6+2pins--6pins cable, connected the first side to gpu leaving 2 pins unconnected (supposing not all gpu have 8 pins connector), and the 6pins side to peripheral connector on PSU. Since cable plugged without problem, I did not mind it is in the correct place.

I had a 6+2pins--6pins cable, connected the first side to gpu leaving 2 pins unconnected (supposing not all gpu have 8 pins connector), and the 6pins side to peripheral connector on PSU. Since cable plugged without problem, I did not mind it is in the correct place.

And where did you get this cable from? Did it come with your PSU?

Archived