Corsair Community

Force GT 240 GB Drive Keeps Disappearing

skypix

I haven't found any posts that directly address this problem on my new system, hope someone can help.

I have two 240GB Force GT drives, set up as data drives. I have my OS on a different drive.

Both GTs have the 1.3.3 firmware update.

The first Corsair drops out, as if it was going to sleep but not able to recover. It seems to happen when the system is on for awhile (1 hour +) without me doing anything, but sometimes it happens when I'm in the middle of editing in Adobe Lightroom too. I can't seem to find a common event for each disappearance.

I have power settings in Win 7 Pro 64 all set to never sleep or hibernate, including in advanced mode for hard drive.

System is Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3. 16GB RAM (2x8GB) which passed 12 hour mem test, very stable.

The Force GT is connected to the Intel 6GB/s gray port #2. OS drive is connected to #1.

The other Force GT, connected to 3GB/s Intel, never disappears, it's only the drive connected to the #2 port. I have Marvell and JMB disabled.

I tried to follow Yellowbeard's recommendation to disable QuickBoot in my bios but the deluxe gen3 either doesn't have that option or it's buried in some other bios sub-submenu, it's not in Boot, Advanced, Tools or other menus.

Hope someone has an idea, otherwise the system is solid as a rock, boots in under 30 seconds to a working system, and the drives are all very fast and so far very reliable, other than the disappearing act.

thanks

Any ideas anybody? I've swapped ports (plugged the problem drive into an Intel 3GB SATA port and put the other GT drive on the #2 6GB Intel port...problem drive still disappears, so it's not the port.

Has anybody else run up against this problem and figured it out?

Also, since this drive was originally my OS and now is strictly used for data storage, but it still has the system info on it in a separate 100MB partition, could that be a suspect?

thanks for any thoughts

-Back up all the files from the disappearing SSD Secure erase it, And Request an RMA, Or you can try make a new partition and see if it still disappears.

Thanks Toasted, it's definitely getting worse...not sure I'll be able to copy anything from the drive, it drops out now within a minute of bootup. I've tried to run an ATTO benchmark on it and it freezes the program, then the drive vanishes. Sounds like RMAville after all, rats.

Update: I switched cables on the disappearing drive and tried to copy its contents to another drive. Locked up after 20 files and disappeared.

I removed the drive from my system, hooked it up to a USB3/SATA adapter and it's successfully copying the files to a backup drive hooked up to a BlackX dock HDD.

Does this say anything about the drive, that it works with the adapter but not when plugged into the computer?

Once it's done, I'll Secure Erase it with Parted Magic, which now apparently works after a bug was removed.

Any thoughts on what working out of system but not in might mean, most appreciated, thanks.

Archived