Corsair Community

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 with Corsair Vengeance Memtest86+ problems

Benlinux

I'm currently getting DRAM instability problems on my new AMD FX base system.

Memtest86+ 5.0b generated errors only on test #5, and it's happening every time after about 6 memtest86+ passes.

Also another very strange things, when i tried the regular Memtest86 V4.0a, the computer freeze every time, and just after few minutes of testing.

I tried to slightly increase the CPU/NB voltage and also the DRAM Voltage without any success yet.

I also tried to set the memory in the Bios using the Ai Overclock Tuner set in D.O.C.P mode and using the 1600MhZ preset instead of the XMP 1866 preset, and also making sure to set the DRAM command rate at T2 instead of T1, but still getting the same test #5 failed. ( i tried both T1 and T2)

I just updated the Bios to the new Version 1302 from the version 1201, but it seems to be worst and i'm now getting more failed on Test #5, but still happening only after about 6 runs and more of Memtest86+ V5.0b passes.

Also tried Memtest86+ V4.20, but this one amazingly can run 24 hours without generating any errors ?????????

I'm very confuse right now, and i don't know which Memtest86 version do i need to use on my system.

May be there is more settings that i can look at in my DRAM timing which can help a bit, but i don't know where to start.

The system is not overclocked and is running at the default core Speed.

Regards

Also tried Memtest86+ V4.20, but this one amazingly can run 24 hours without generating any errors ?????????

This is the only version that Corsair supports and that I would trust.. Version 5.0b is a beta and may not have support for your CPU or complete functionality at this time.

I'm currently getting DRAM instability problems on my new AMD FX base system.

What give you the indication that the memory is not stable?

Is it just the results of metest V5.0b?

I'm using the system mainly for CAD-CAM application and especialy to calculate CNC mill 5 axis toolpath

Which can take hours of calculating.

The system is greatly solicitad under those condition and windows become unstable and freze.

Running Prime95 for couple houres is causing the same problem and the system freze.

I just red last night on the Asus site that the approval same Corsair memory as the one installed on my rig should be V8.16 CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R(Ver8.16)(XMP) 16GB ( 4x 4GB )

I take a look at the version installed on my system, and it is V5.12 written on the Tags.

What are the differences between those two version (V5.12 vs 8.16)?

I checked with the computer store where i purchased my components, and they never seen that batch V8.16 at all ???

I also checked the output Voltage with a multimeter when the system is on load, and there is no significant current drop vs when the system is idle.

Even if Memtest86+ V4.20 is the only supported version, the version 5.0b is showing some memory instability problems when the system as been under load for couples hours, which is aslo happening by not only running synthetic tests.

When the system is not solicited much, no computer freezing problem.

• Corsair Employee
Even if Memtest86+ V4.20 is the only supported version, the version 5.0b is showing some memory instability problems when the system as been under load for couples hours, which is also happening by not only running synthetic tests.

A: This would suggest it may be as simple as a setting in your BIOS

What are the exact settings you have set for both CPU and memory?

I would suggest settign the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU/NB Voltage to +.2 Volts over default.

A: DDR3 IC Inquiry The difference is the IC we use to make the specific Version and should not matter.

Other than who manufactures the chips made to make the modules,not much. They are both 256x8 IC. Version number would have nothing to do with it.

Your QVL just lists set that WERE tested. They can't test every set out there so they do a select few. Them noting the version number on the modules is quite normal, but not a requirement

As i posted earlier Memtest v4.20 is the only supported one by Corsair. 5.0b is a beta and since it is a beta cant be fully trusted as of yet.

I would test each stick in the first slot of the MB with mmemtest86v4.20 in the first slot on your MB. Let each stick run for about three passes or until you get an error. If they all pass, then take a known good stick and test the remaining slots in the same manor.

If all sticks pass memtest V4.20 i would rule out the memory.

This could be CPU or a bad MB just as easily as it could memory. I'm just not convinced it's memory that is giving you the problems. It could even be a corrupt OS causing this.

Excuse me for the Delay, but here is what i have set in my BIOS.

Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 Bios Settings:

Ai Tweaker Menues:

Ai Overclock Tuner =D.O.C.P

Dram O.C Profile= Corsair XMP 1866Mhz Profile

CPU Ratio = 20.0

AMD Turbo Core = Disabled

CPU Bus Frequency=200

PCIE Frequency=100

Memory Frequency= DDR3-1866Mhz

CPU/NB Frequency=Auto

HT Link Speed= Auto

CPU/NB Voltage= Manual

CPU Manual Voltage=Auto

CPU/NB Manual Voltage= 1.21875

CPU VDDA Voltage= Auto (2.513V)

DRAM Voltage=1.510

NB Voltage=Auto (1.103)

NB HT Voltage=Auto (1.207)

NB 1.8 Voltage=auto (1.8)

SB Voltage=Auto (1.1)

VDD PCIE 1.1=Auto (1.1)

VDDR=Auto (1.2)

DRAM Timing Control:

DRAM CAS# Latency=9

DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay=10

DRAM RAS# PRE Time=9

DRAM RAS# ACT Time=27

DRAM READ to PRE Time=Auto (7)

DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay=Auto (6)

DRAM Write to Read# Delay=Auto (7)

DRAM CAS# Write Latency=Auto (8)

DRAM Write Recovery time=Auto (14)

DRAM REF Cycle time=Auto (160ns)

DRAM Row Cycle time=Auto (45)

DRAM READ to Write Delay=Auto (7)

DRAM Write to Read Delay(DD)=Auto (3)

DRAM Write to Write Timing=Auto (4)

DRAM Read to Read Timing=Auto (4)

DRAM Refresh Rate=Auto (7.8ms)

DRAM Command Rate=2T

DRAM Driving Control:

CKE drive strength=Auto (1.5x)

CS/ODT drive Stength=Auto (1.5x)

ADDR/CMD drive strength=Auto (2x)

MEMCLK drive Strength=Auto (1.5x)

Data Drive Strength=Auto (1.5x)

DQS drive Strength=Auto (1.25x)

Processor ODT=Auto( 60 ohms +/- 20% )

DIGI+ Power Control:

CPU load line calibration=Auto

CPU/NB line calibration=Auto

CPU Current Capability=Auto

CPU/NB Current Capability=Auto

CPU Power Phase Control=Standard

CPU Voltage Frequency=Auto

VRM Spread Spectrum=Disable

CPU Power Duty Control=T.Probe

CPU Power Response Control=Auto

CPU/NB Power Response Control=Auto

CPU Power Thermal Control=130

DRAM Current Capability=100%

DRAM Voltage Frequency=300

DRAM Power Phase control=Optimized

Memory Configuration:

Bank Interleaving=Auto

Channel Interleaving=Auto

Warm Boot RAM=Enabled

Memory Clear=Disabled

ECC Mode=Disabled

Power Down Enable=Disabled

Memory Hole Remapping=Enabled

DCT Unganged Mode=Enabled

This morning i removed the CPU cleaned up, re apply Thermal past, Removed all Memory stick from their socket, and i'm testing each Memory stick individually as per recommended by Peanutz94, starting with the Memory slot #1

It's gonna take a while to test each stick in every slot but i will.

For that test i did not raised up the Memory Voltage and i kept it at 1.510V

and the CPU/NB to 1.218

If no error come up that way, i will populate 2 paired memory slots to see if it make a a difference, and i will also test the two other paired slots that way.

I will post my result later.

Regards

Archived