Corsair Community

SP120 RGB Flicker with LNP

Breaker1818

Before I begin, I would like to say thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

I recently purchased a Corsair Crystal 570X, six HD120 RGB fans (with controller), and a Lighting Node Pro. I am waiting for the final three HD120 fans to get here, so I decided to use the SP120 RGB fans included in the case until the HD120s arrive. My setup is as follows:

LNP Port 1 --->RGB Controller(came with case)--->SP120 RGB x 3

LNP Port 2 --->RGB Controller(came with fans)--->HD120 RGB x 3

I am using C-Link 4.6.0.86, and the LNP is using firmware 0.2.65.

The LEDs in the HD120s work as they are supposed to, but the SP120 LEDs do not.

I searched through these forums, and I found other folks mention flickering SP120 RGB issues, but none of their symptom descriptions seems to match what I am experiencing. I downloaded SIV to better control the hardware, and to gather data that may be useful.

So, on to the symptom: The SP120 fans flicker when connected to the LNP. They are on their own controller, and it doesn't matter which LNP port I plug them into - the result is the same. The flicker isn't caused my EMI, as it does not exhibit that type of symptom (rapid, rythmic flickering). This flicker is like that of an old neon light. The LEDs are off more than they are on, and when they do energize, it is brief, sporadic, and the flickering is not in sync between the fans. The colors I input into either SIV or C-Link are accurately displayed, but the LEDs just flicker. As a side note, there is no flickering when using the included button controller instead of the LNP.

I have included screenshots of some of the SIV windows in the event they are helpful.

Thanks!

Breaker

P.S. - The flicker is similar to .gif attached to this post.

353065060_2017-04-28(1).thumb.png.9e586e2bc7a3f7e6917616b057a8b813.png

1221055511_2017-04-28(2).thumb.png.49f67520f4c2140185056c670870b163.png

1128946838_2017-04-28(4).png.79c0a6b4595df5437b80b25f0c2d2303.png

17423826_2017-04-28(5).png.f11330075423b5b64bf6548885e19050.png

713548116_2017-04-28(6).thumb.png.f6cd8f6d6f4db6f1898985a2cb7c1d8d.png

364200418_2017-04-28(7).thumb.png.caebc6fc659724d400b3941a0b2d8a6e.png

2017-04-28.thumb.png.00fe10f63aea87fb606b88c47b957316.png

tumblr_ng32mhhedv1u32qb5o1_500.gif.f7d07ec91b13b38db15a18f3767f3e9f.gif

The names you used make it tricky to know which screen shot is which and names such as [Link Setup].png would be better.

I need to see [Link Setup], but can't find it.

If you interpose the ports what happens?

Are you using SIV or CL4 to control the LNP? What happens if you use CL4? I don't have any SP LED fans, but have been told SIV controls them OK.

Red-Ray,

Thanks for the quick reply! I have attached a screenshot of Link Setup. My apologies for the naming confusion. I have tried swapping the ports of the LNP, I have used only one controller connected to it for the SP120s (disconnecting the HD120s and their associated controller), using both ports with the aforementioned single controller, switching the SP120s to the controller that the HD120s were on - after removing the HD120s, of course. Nothing has resolved the issue. As an aside, the HD120s work perfectly well on either controller. The SP120s do not work on either controller, unless the button pad is used instead of the LNP. Again, thank you for your assistance!

Best Regards,

Breaker

Edit: I realized I didn't answer everything! I was using CL4, but have moved to using SIV. It happens no matter which software I use, however. SIV, like CL4, changes the LEDs to the correct color, but the flickering remains.

2048561766_LinkSetup.png.d30b892cbb8fe6150f3a8336b17c35b3.png

By controller do you mean the box with ports 1 to 6? If so it's called a hub.

[Link Setup] is correct, but as I don't have any SP LED fans I can't check if it works here.

What happens if you use CL 4.6.0.86 to control the LNP?

attachment.php?attachmentid=28743&d=1493407793

I only have the V0.2.54 LNP firmware, where did V0.2.65 come from?

It would be the hub, then. CL4 and SIV both have the identical issue, so I believe the LNP is probably to blame - the SP120s work fine when it is out of the loop. I have found SIV to be superior to CL4, so I am moving to it exclusively. CL4 is nice for what it is, and I was happy with it when I had only a H100i GTX, but times have changed, and so has my hardware! As always, thank you!

EDIT:

0.2.65 came from CL4. I have posted a copy here.

Please see my previous edit for the LNP 0.2.65 firmware. And thank you!

EDIT: Geez, I am editing a lot in order to not double post. The link you provided had a link in it somewhere (I scrolled a lot) that is pretty much identical to the issue I am having. There didn't seem to be resolution. I'll just have to deal with it until the HD120s come in, I suppose. Thank you!

0.2.65 came from CL4. I have posted a copy here.

Thank you, but I think it must have been already in the LNP as CL 4.6.0.86 came with 0.2.54.

What is in C:\ProgramData\CLink4\FirmwareUpdates\?

I need to go out, so it will be tomorrow before I can look at the new firmware.

After reading your last message, I see where I was unclear. 4.6.86 did initally ask me to upgrade my LNP with 0.2.54. My LNP came with 0.1.46. I put off the 0.2.54 update because it seems like a decent amount of people were/are having issues with it. But, once I realized my SP120 fans weren't showing up in CL4 due to the LNP having 0.1.46 firmware, I decided to update, and the 0.2.54 firmware was replaced by 0.2.65 (in CL4>Options>Devices) in the 3-4 days I have had this new hardware.

Screenshot of C:\ProgramData\CLink4\FirmwareUpdates attached.

899720617_FirmwareFolder.png.b7a59ea3ced01f76487acc4ef786c44b.png

I loaded the 0.2.54 firmware and, unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue. I may be wrong, of course, but I do believe it is a firmware issue. When I saw the *.54 firmware didn't work, I just used CL4 to update it to *.65 again. The install hanged, and all three fans turned on to the correct color, NO flickering! However, since the update didn't go past 26% for over 30 minutes, I did a manual update, rebooted, and back came the flickering. I should receive the three HD120s to replace these tomorrow, but I'll be out of town for the weekend, so I'll see if there are any issues with them on Monday. I suspect this is isolated to the SP120s. After praying to lord Google, it seems the two of us in the forums that are having this issue aren't the only ones. Thanks again for your help, Red-Ray!

I've replaced the LNP as well, same exact issue, so I agree it tends to point to a firmware issue.

I half wish I had an SP fan so I could check this out myself.

I suspect Corsair will take several attempts to fix this :(:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys!

Got my 570x and 6 SP 120 Fans in it. My LNP came today and i installed it as intended. Same problem like you all have. Also tried older Firmware and different cables.

Nothing happend.

Hope for a firmware update.

Greetings from Germany!

• 5 months later...

Same problem here as well, 3 pack of SP120'S arrived today and one of the fans randomly flickers, ive noticed as well changing the fan to another port and they dont light up at all, so this could very well be a firmware issue, after 2 k70rgb keyboards failing on me within 12 months i said i wasnt gonna buy corsair again, well i did and now this happens. marvellous. seems corsair should do extensive rock solid testing before putting these things on the market otherwise theyre gonna have hell of a lot of rma returns. only reason i bought corsair over thermaltake riing fans is the fact that corsairs rma system is pretty good, never had issues, theyve always replaced faulty parts for me. Another part of me is levering towards the controller chips inside these boxes being faulty, i hope thats not the case but it could very well be.

Soon as i plugged the fan in for the first time and fired the software up the fan was flickering like a log fire,now theyve been running for 2 hours its calmed down a bit but its still there every 3 minutes or so.

Corsair im begging you, before putting RGB products on the market in future make sure theyre fully working first. these issues are giving us end users a proper headache.

Right this flickering problem has nothing to do with the fans themselves whatsoever just done some testing, the problem is the Lighting node pro box itself, once the fans are plugged into the handheld 3 button controller, this problem doesnt happen.

Thank you for your concern,

Everything is updated to the latest on win7x64 m8, yea problem is still there they randomly flicker for no reason but they ONLY do this when connected to the node box they are perfect once connected to the 3 button controller alone.

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for your concern,

Everything is updated to the latest on win7x64 m8, yea problem is still there they randomly flicker for no reason but they ONLY do this when connected to the node box they are perfect once connected to the 3 button controller alone.

My best suggestion for the moment is to contact tech support and see about having your Lighting Node Pro replaced. As I said, we'd had issues with SP RGB fans flickering on LNP before, but that issue should be resolved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just joined these forums to report that this issue is still happening. Built a new PC last week, brand new lighting node pro installed and 3 of my 4 SP120 RGB fans are constantly flickering. Tinkerking around with Link did not help. Lighting strips and everything else works just fine. A whole year of threads on this issue and still no fix?!

P.s. Maybe if the RGB series cases (I have a 460x) came with HD120 FANS INSTEAD OF SP120, many of us wouldn't need to settle for fans with this issue.

Archived