The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 AM
metatron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 869176
metatron Reputation: 10
Default Neutron XT 223.57 GiB on linux

OK, I have 2 of these Neutron XT SSDs in a remote server that I would like to update the firmware for.
I can't take them out or put them in Windows machines. Worse: I would have to install a VM or buy Windows just for this, since I don't use it anywhere (anymore).

Is there a way to update these SSDs from within linux on shell?

I bought them a couple of months ago, in one buy, but it turns out they don't match in firmware, one of them is actually really old. This is bad for RAID purposes etc.
I can provide # smartctl -a output to the corsair techs if needed.

TIA

Last edited by metatron; 08-28-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:03 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 869266
Technobeard Reputation: 65

We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:18 PM
metatron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 869269
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technobeard View Post
We don't have a Linux updater.

Different firmware isn't necessarily a bad thing. One could have a newer firmware because of a BOM change and not a functional change. Also, I wouldn't recommend updating firmware remotely simply because if the worst case scenario happens and the drive is bricked, you could be now running on a degraded (or dead) RAID.
Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure. Most could be done headless/remotely using either KVM or a mounted iso, or SandForce software etc.

So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 869271

Quote:
Originally Posted by metatron View Post
Seriously, I've been updating firmware for hundreds of HDDs and SSDs in total the last ~15 years. Not one has been bricked by the procedure.
I didn't say it was a likely scenario, just a possibility.

Quote:
So, are you saying that if I want to update firmware, I would have to install Windows solely for that purpose alone?
Please see my previous post.

What firmware versions do you have - and which exact Neutron XT 240 GB part numbers are you using in that system?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:45 AM
metatron's PC Specs

POST ID # = 869324

1:
Device Model: Corsair Neutron XT SSD
Firmware Version: SAFC01.1

2:
Device Model: Corsair Neutron XT SSD
Firmware Version: SAFC02.2

I omitted the last 2 digits of the serialnrs for privacy reasons ;)

Last edited by Technobeard; 08-29-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: removed most of the description

Old 08-29-2016, 12:36 PM
Bearded Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 869362

What's the full part number on each drive? CSSD-XXXXXXX

I removed most of the info citing your privacy reason, although there's nothing private in the serial numbers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: