The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD) > SSD Firmware Update

Old 11-03-2016, 07:36 AM

POST ID # = 877785
Cors_irFixMySSD Reputation: 10
Angry Corsair Force F120GB2 regular BSOD on wake, not possible to update FW!

Hello everybody!

To keep my story short: long time ago I've bought Corsair Force F120GB2, installed it in my laptop and it was BSODing on each wake, so I've just disabled AHCI in BIOS via some NVRAM "hacking" as there is no option to disable it via GUI. Yes, it was not so smart but I was waiting for Corsair to release a fix for that - yeah, 5+ years already and no fix
Recently I've reinstalled my OS and put it again in AHCI (yes, now I need it for TRIM to work properly as in ATA mode it's not working anymore).

So, I've found new FW 2.4 here: forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100449
Mine has FW 2.0 (S/N 10246503x000000002x2).
BUT I'm not able to update it! Tried in my laptop (ICH8) - no luck, my PC: it has 3 different chips for 12 or so SATA ports - again no luck
What is funny Corsair FW update tool finds OCZ Vertex drive but not it's own SSD!
Screen is attached
Attached Images
File Type: png FWupdate.png (54.0 KB, 116 views)

Old 11-03-2016, 08:15 AM

POST ID # = 877789
Toasted Toasted Reputation: 104

It will be best to contact Corsair technical support and see if the can help update/diagnose the issue.
https://corsair.secure.force.com/

The SandForce Controller in the SSD was known to cause BSODS, and other problems.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:51 AM

POST ID # = 877800

Quote:
The SandForce Controller in the SSD was known to cause BSODS, and other problems.
Have I bought the SSD from SandForce? No, from Corsair, so or Corsair fixes it or replaces the defective SSD as it's buggy by design and Corsair knows it.

What I see here:
Quote:
RMA'ed my CSSD-F120GB2. Updated frimware on the replacement to 2.4. Suffered the same BSOD on resume from hibernation.

Frustrated!
Pretty sure that techncal support won't help. I've spent time disassembling my laptop, playing with PC trying to update it - that's not funny. At the moment I own Corsair Pro PSU and this buggy SSD and, you know, I'll think 5 times before I buy anything from Corsair with such a nice support. Push SandForce to make changes to your firmware (5 years already!!!) if Corsair is not able to do it.
All I need is the working SSD. And it should work as expected and made by design: in AHCI and with no BSODs. :)

Old 11-08-2016, 06:07 AM

POST ID # = 878308

Quote:
It will be best to contact Corsair technical support and see if the can help update/diagnose the issue.
So, as I've expected: no support even if it's the well known problem with BSODs.

Answer from Corsair support:
Quote:
The serial number would put it outside of the warranty period. Please purchase a replacement and/or back up your data.
Really? Don't they know about the bug? :)

Old 11-08-2016, 02:39 PM

POST ID # = 878351

Finally, brilliant Corsair support: sell the product with the defect, don't fix it in 5 years and say:
Quote:
I'm sorry, I can't help you any longer.
I've had 2 SSDs F120 from Corsair - one died and destroyed data on it, the second is alive but with BSODs. Will I buy something from Corsair again? Definitely NO!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: