Corsair Community

1500 Sound Quality Worse Than HS1's

AtomicAMD

So I had to RMA my HS1's for the joint problem at the earcup and you guys decided to give me the new 1500s. Well you have either changed the speaker used in these or have tweaked them to where they are different from the HS1's.

First of all, the new drivers take so much control away from the user. These do not handle bass like the HS1s can. If the bass is tuned up at all it can rattle the casing around the speaker depending on the frequency (no it doesn't sound like there is something loose or bouncing around inside) it sounds/looks like cheaper materials used. I've tuned the equalizer to the exact same settings that I had on the old drivers, it's not the same.

Can these be used with the old drivers? I'd like to see if that could fix some of my sound quality issues since there is way more control (its not just the bass, everything sounds like it is coming out of a cheaper speaker, yes, even after tuned. We both know that your given preset settings are beyond horrible, but that was okay with the HS1s because after being tuned correctly, they sounded like a $200 set of headphones). If not, I would really appreciate being able to send these back and get the original product I bought. I know these are supposed to be the exact same as the HS1, just new looks, but you aren't fooling me. Something has changed, whether it be the speaker used or the driver.

Corsair, I own 7 of your products, bought periodically. Your build quality has been lowered substantially these past few years. Your cutting corners is costing you more money in the long run. What is happening? And with respect, hire people who can build better drivers, not dumb them down and add a fancy UI.

EDIT: Also, these 1500s are very picky on which USB ports will actually recognize it. I can't use it with any ports included on your own cases, has to be plugged straight into the motherboard ports. Never had this issue with the HS1s :(

• Corsair Employee

The driver is the same for both HS1 and Vengeance 1500 so the older HS1 driver will work with 1500 but I would not suggest it. Please use the latest driver and you will need to uninstall the old driver and restart then install the new driver before you connect the Vengeance 1500 Head sets.

The build quality is the same for all of these headsets the only difference in HS1 and Vengeance 1500 is an improved MIC and some cosmetic changes and the newer driver internally they are the same. They both sue the same hardware driver for the speaker. If you are getting a rattle then it is likely a setting that just needs to be adjusted. If the settings are set to aggressive it will cause the audio to clip the signal causing the sound to sound like a rattle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RamGuy,

I really tried to give these headphones a chance, which is why I took so long to respond.

I thought maybe the infamous burn-in would affect these headphones so I gave them ample time to do so. Still not achieving the sound I could with the HS1s. I confirmed this by borrowing my buddies still working HS1s, the sound is indeed different. It might be that the material used on the ear cups are creating a different seal for the sound, whatever it is, it's different without a doubt. To give you an idea of the difference I'm experiencing.. With the right settings, I can get the HS1s to sound almost as good as my $300 dollar AKG K550s (minus some sound stage and clarity, which is to be expected at this price difference, but very close) which are driven by an external dac/amp, that is why I was so amazed with the HS1s in the first place. I can't get the 1500s anywhere near this point. I'm sure you know there is a difference and for professional reasons not admitting it. Otherwise, well, I won't go there.

The ear cups still rattle/buzz (depending on frequency) at flat/default equalizer settings, it wasn't my "aggressive" equalizer settings (my settings were within normal limits and tweaked with your own drivers anyways.....). It is the material you used to build these. Or I have a bad pair, like most people it seems these days. Might be able to slip some of this stuff past an inexperienced user.

I would simply like a HS1 to replace these again, like I originally had. I will not be happy with the 1500, no matter how the same you tell me it is. It's not. I'd rather get a pair of HS1s and confirm they are working and forfeit my warranty than keep the 1500s.

Archived