Corsair Community

Asus P5GDC Deluxe and a Broken Corsair Configurator?

-Jim-

Folks,

A Buddy has me fixing his wife's PC and it has a Asus P5GDC Deluxe MB with 512 Megs (OMG!) of DDR Ram running Win XP SP3. One of the unique things is this MB can run up to 4 X 1 Gig sticks of DDR, and 2 X 1 Gig sticks of DDR2 => although not simultaneously. (I assume the DDR2 is still the way to go?)

I am looking to max out on the RAM to boost performance so I went to the Corsair Configurator for it's recomended Sticks. (I'm thinking of moving this rig to Win 7 32 bit as the CPU is not 64 bit compatable.)

For the Enthusiast the configurator says to get TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX and for the Overclocker it's TWIN2X2048-8500C5D. The first suggestion on the complete list is Q2X8G6400C4DHX => an 8 Gig Kit!

The Asus Manual advises upper clock speeds of only 600 for the Ram so how would one get to the stock speeds for any of these sticks? Somehow I doubt I could get 4 DDR2 Ram sticks into the 2 available slots for 8 Gigs. (So I think the configurator is broken...)

I'm somewhat doubtful I could get 2 X 2 Gig sticks to run but if Corsair garrantees it I'll certainly go for it.

Please confirm and advise. Thanks!

The best kit for that machine would be VS2GBKIT533D2.

RamGuy,

Thanks for the info.

So Can I assume the configurator was wrong and only 1 Gig Sticks will fit?:sigh!:

Would Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 4-4-4-12 240PIN Dual Channel Memory work? I can't find the VS2GBKIT533D2 at my local Computer Stores. The motherboard will easily tweak to 600.

Archived