Corsair Community

CML16GX3M4A1600C9 issue

claude

Hi there

So I'd like your advice here. I've buy this 4x4 memory bundle called vengeance LP DD3 16 GB and I have issue since day one, but I only found the origin of the problem recently.

The problem : when I upgrade the firmware of my motherboard or when I load default firmware settings, the PC doesn't even go to post, I only have a black screen and fan running at high speed. This problem go away when I remove one particular memory stick.

What I found : to boot the system with all 4 memory stick, I must first boot whitout the defect stick, go to bios and change memory settings to XMP profile, then shutdown, put the said memory stick and turn on. This way, I can use the pc normally. I've found this particular memory stick have different RCD values at speed of 400,533 and 666 but identical at 800 (XMP mode). When the bios is resetted or updated, it doesn't go to XMP profile by default, which is normal behavior but my pc won't boot then...

http://upload.dinhosting.fr/u/7/F/Clipboard04.jpghttp://upload.dinhosting.fr/F/N/v/Clipboard05.jpg

What should I do ?

to boot the system with all 4 memory stick, I must first boot whitout the defect stick, go to bios and change memory settings to XMP profile, then shutdown, put the said memory stick and turn on. This way, I can use the pc normally. I've found this particular memory stick have different RCD values at speed of 400,533 and 666 but identical at 800 (XMP mode). When the bios is resetted or updated, it doesn't go to XMP profile by default, which is normal behavior but my pc won't boot then...

Boy, this really sounds like a bad MB to me or an issue with the BIOS. It's either that or you have a stick that was not programed correctly when assembled.

Does it matter if you swap the sticks around in the slots? I mean , say you take the stick that you suspect to be bad and put it in another slot does your Mb still behave the same way? If so then this would be a MB problem or a bad slot in the MB, which could also be why the stick is reading different than the others.

So i think the first thing you should do is test the memory sticks one at a time in the first slot with memtest86+. There is a link on the left hand side of the forum here for the download.

Load set up defaults , then enable XMP and boot to memtest , Let each stick run for at least three passes or until you receive an error. Once they error there is no point in going any further.

If all sticks pass in the first slot individually then it is the MB.

If you find one stick out of the bunch that produces errors , then you need to RMA the memory kit.

When the bios is resetted or updated, it doesn't go to XMP profile by default, which is normal behavior but my pc won't boot then...

This could be a matter of adjusting voltages. But before we go that way, lets get the sticks tested and see what the results are.

Hi thanks for your response

I've just tried one stick at a time scenario:

If I remove all memory sticks and try them one by one, set the bios at default settings, only one stick doesn't work (the one that I suspect) and I can't even launch memtest because the pc won't boot. Whatever the slot I put in it, it make no difference. The others 3 sticks are booting fine, be it all 3 or one by one. Like I said, I'm forced to set XMP profile in bios for this problematic stick for it to work correctly. It seem like you said it was badly programmed or some other defect.

Is there any way to re-program the stick with the same values as the others ?

PS: I'm not overclocking and never will, I want and need a stable system and I've choosen a I7 non K because of this

thanks Technobeard

I use this computer for work and for myself, so yes it will hurt to have a downtime, I was even considering buying another memory kit altogether. This one was buy in may, this year. I live in France, is advanced RMA available here and what number should I call ?

Thanks again for your help on this.

You can install and use SKYPE to make the call to the toll free number listed on the main website page at the bottom listed under contact

Just don't forget the time difference, and if you are unsure if they are open or not they recently added a header at the top of the forums that lets you know if they are open or not.

• Administrators
thanks Technobeard

I use this computer for work and for myself, so yes it will hurt to have a downtime, I was even considering buying another memory kit altogether. This one was buy in may, this year. I live in France, is advanced RMA available here and what number should I call ?

Thanks again for your help on this.

You're quite welcome. I've PM'd the exact contact information to you.

Just don't forget the time difference, and if you are unsure if they are open or not they recently added a header at the top of the forums that lets you know if they are open or not.
Thanks for mentioning that as that got me to notice it said PDT instead of PST, now corrected!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I re-open this thread because today, one of my memory module has failed and I've lost a few hours of work (got a BSOD with Memory Managment error 0x000001A). After that, I've run memtest to discover that one DIMM module is defective (see screenshot attached)

So now, I've have 2 defect on 2 different modules and have no choice but to request an RMA which I just did.

I guess I should return the whole package (the four DIMM) ?

Thanks

DSC_0069.thumb.jpg.605ce5e9488630cdcfa5be2113aad402.jpg

I've send the whole package (the 4 sticks) the 02-20-2014 and according to tracking, it arrived today (02-22-2014) but it haven't being delivered. It got back to your near post office (in the netherlands)

I've posted the url tracking in the the ticket comments.

Could you tell me if this normal ?!

Yuppers. Even though the memory shows as delivered on your end it will still take some time for it to be entered in to the system and processing starts. When Corsair gets returns they get them in large shipments. Your RMA would not have been the only only in the lot.

Archived