Corsair Community

The Perfect K60

kekumu

I just saw the Vengeance K60 and K90 today and was really excited at first glance and was considering pre-ordering one. A few things stopped me, however. I pretty recently got one of the Rosewill mechanical keyboards with Cherry MX blues (before they had black, brown and red ones out). It's a dream to type on, but I wouldn't mind a more gaming oriented board with reds. So here's my thoughts on these new Corsair boards.

PROS

• Price - $110 for the K60 is really competitive with what Rosewill is offering, and it's nice to see such a great price on a mechanical keyboard in the U.S. The K90 is also very reasonable.
  • Media Keys - Most mechanical keyboards don't have media keys and it's nice to see, especially on a gaming keyboard since a lot of gamers listen to music but obviously can't control it when the game is fullscreen
  • Design - I'm a fan of the low-profile aluminum chasis. It's stylish and seems easy to clean.
  • Backlit Keys - I think all gaming keyboards should have backlit keys. It's just so convenient. I really wish the K60 had them as well, but I understand that would drive the price up towards the K90.
  • Cherry MX Reds - Possibly the best choice for gaming switches and definitely sets the Corsair gaming keyboards apart from other gaming
    keyboards.
  • Custom WASD & 1-6 Keycaps
  • Wrist Supports
  • Tons of Macros

CONS

• Rubber-Dome Switches - I'm skeptical of the decision to mix in rubber-dome switches, and I think a lot of other people are too. The problem is that most people can't really try the board properly without buying one and testing it for themselves, but requires a purchase of the product before it. It's a risk that you may not like it, and people looking for mechanical gaming keyboards are probably going to feel better about all mechanical switches.
  • Non-Backlit Keys - It'd be great to have all of the keys backlit. If you need to the alphanumeric keys in the dark, you're probably going to need to be able to see the function and macro keys too, right?
  • No Tenkeyless - Tenkeyless is really popular with people who like mechanical keyboards, both for aesthetic and practical purposes.

IDEAL

• Tenkeyless - The numpad is almost never used and removing it frees up so much space where your mouse hand is.
  • Black Aluminum Chassis - Black on black offers a cleaner, more sophisticated look.
  • Cherry MX Switches -All keys, all cherries. Reds are my gaming preference, but offering others would be nice too.
  • Backlit Keys - Could sell 2 versions, one with and one without LEDs. Also, custom colors for a more premium version (or standard ;):)
  • Detachable Macro & Numpad - There's already a USB port on the keyboard that you could plug these extra peripherals into.
  • Custom WASD & 1-6 Keycaps - Consider making the WASD keycaps solid red or directional arrows since many gamers play ESDF or some other configuration.
  • Wrist Supports
  • Media Keys

This is the keyboard I would buy in a heartbeat, and I think a lot of gamers and keyboard enthusiasts would too. Make the tenkeyless standard. Gamers love to customize, and the tenkeyless as the base model gives the greatest flexibility. It lets you put your hands closer together, which I find to be much more comfortable, and I know I'm not alone. Then, in addition to the standard tenkeyless base, there's a macro or numpad add-on. It could just hook securely to either the left or right of the board and plug into the board via USB. I know a lot of people would be willing to put down at least $110 for my "ideal" base model. And then pay $25 for a macro key add-on, or a bundle that includes it.

So what do you guys think?

I really like the K60, but didn't notice, till now, that there are no illuminated keys!!!!!

The main reason I want to change the keyboard I now have, is that I need illumination for the night!

Too bad, and it's a fine keyboard. I hope Corsair will release a new version with the above additions.

• Corsair Employee

I posted this in another thread but it would apply to this thread as well!

Thank you all for your input both positive and negative; the Product manager watches this section of the forum and is reading what you all have stated. So for us it's all good to see what you all like and do not like. So again thank you for taking the time to post your comments and concerns!

• Black Aluminum Chassis - Black on black offers a cleaner, more sophisticated look.
  • Cherry MX Switches -All keys, all cherries. Reds are my gaming preference, but offering others would be nice too.
  • Backlit Keys - Could sell 2 versions, one with and one without LEDs. Also, custom colors for a more premium version (or standard ;):)
  • Media Keys

+1 This.

I really want a K60 version with full mechanical switches, also the backlit is a good plus, but not a must be.

Here the thing, I use the F's keys to buy in CS, I use the F's keys to select my hero in mobas (DotA/HoN/LoL), I use the F's keys for most of my macros in most of the games. The F's keys are a must be and they should be mechanical switches too.

Other things that I would like to see, are some others layouts to select. As I can see, there is only the US layout, but I really want an UK layout, or any other with the same form factor. Most of Europe, use this layout form factor.

Reference Photo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/KB_United_Kingdom.svg/500px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

Most of all, because I'm used to the inverted L Enter key. Each time I use an US keyboard, I hit the key above the enter key.

I just would like to say there are still people that do actually still use the keypad on a keyboard. I've tried the happy hacking keyboards w/out it, and noticed that I missed it after it was gone.

I was really hoping for a back-lit keyboard but I guess I'll have to wait for the K65! ;P

A whole keyboard wrist-pad would be nice, for when you're not just fragging people. Maybe a purchasable option from the Corsair store at a later date?

I do hope that the multimedia keys are usable with iTunes, which is my media player of choice.

Can't wait until my order ships!

A black finish for the keyboard would look very sexy - and a lasered Corsair logo, instead of a 3d sticker :)

When and where can we see an unboxing Video (especially hear somebody typing on it - i wonder how loud/silent it is)

I preordered at my reseller the K60 together with the M60 - can't wait for it.. :)

IDEAL

• Tenkeyless - The numpad is almost never used and removing it frees up so much space where your mouse hand is.

I respectfully disagree with the tenkeyless suggestion. There are already plenty of non-macro, tenkeyless boards out there. I use my number pad all the time, I must have it. I think think Corsair would have a dream keyboard out there if they made the numberpad removable.

• 4 weeks later...

After doing hours of research on deciding which mechanical keyboard i want to get i have to agree with the OP on almost all of the suggestions. I also have to agree with Culverin that it would be nice to have a removable tenkey as well as an add-on macro keypad.

Adding these features as well as offering blue's and (brown or clear) would take Corsair to the forefront of keyboards over Deck and Ducky. This way consumers aren't left having to make "trade-offs" between manufacturers.

j

-1 for the numpad. I'm using it everyday. The K60 is low-profile with no macro keys. It is already a small keyboard, no need to make it smaller

+1 for the backlit : it's really usefull and it's a pity the K60 don't have it :/ For me it would have been THE perfect keyboard

Archived