Corsair Community

Return Shipping

aablamowicz

This was my first time purchasing a Corsair PSU for my computer that I built less than 1 year ago and let me say, I am a bit disappointed by the way customer care has handled my problem. I submitted a ticket to customer support after my computer began to randomly restart with an error message saying that a "power surge was detected and ASUS anti-surge was triggered." Then I spend the next week replying to comments and trying the suggestions, when in the end, he has me disable the anti-surge protection in BIOS, causing my computer to now restart immediately upon booting windows, without an error message. The problem is not fixed and I just wasted a lot of time. I shouldn't have to disable anti-surge protection in order for my PSU to work properly, by the way.

I get tired of waiting for replies to my ticket, and call Corsair directly. Express RMA, sounds good. However, now you are telling me, that even though the PSU is under warranty, and you guarantee the quality of your products, I have to pay for return shipping to Corsair? When clearly, this is a defective unit and NOT something that I could have done to make it act in this manner. 1) You should CLEARLY state upfront about the customer having to pay for return shipping and NOT only post the information in the RMA confirmation email (I checked the Warranty FAQ), and 2) If the unit is clearly defective and not living up to the Corsair guarantee, own up to it and pay for taking this defective PSU off my hands. It is absurd to me that even though it is under warranty, I have to pay for shipping the broken PSU back to you and moreover, this was NOT clearly stated in the warranty information. In my opinion, Corsair needs to rethink this "company policy."

Anna

Literally every tech company that I have RMA'd a product to has the customer pay return shipping unless it's within a 30 or 90 day period since the customer purchased the product or if the product has failed multiple times. Sorry, but I can't think of a tech company that doesn't have a similar policy...

Go ahead and take a look at this thread. It seems relevant and if you haven't shipped your power supply yet it might help you out. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=108577

Literally every tech company that I have RMA'd a product to has the customer pay return shipping unless it's within a 30 or 90 day period since the customer purchased the product or if the product has failed multiple times. Sorry, but I can't think of a tech company that doesn't have a similar policy...

Go ahead and take a look at this thread. It seems relevant and if you haven't shipped your power supply yet it might help you out. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=108577

agreed......

I have to agree with the others. Aside from enterprise level RMAs, I can only think of one time where I didn't have to pay for shipping. Some companies also charge fees for certain types of RMAs.

this was NOT clearly stated in the warranty information.
Their warranty page states:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/support/warranty

You may be required to pay shipping and handling charges, as well as any applicable tariffs, duties, taxes, or other fees.

When an RMA is approved they send you an email which links to shipping instructions which also states:

The consumer is responsible for return freight costs to Corsair.

... that even though the PSU is under warranty, and you guarantee the quality of your products, I have to pay for return shipping to Corsair? When clearly, this is a defective unit and NOT something that I could have done to make it act in this manner.
Their QC can only guarantee how the item worked before it went into the box. After that they get shipped thousands of miles to the distributor, then either to a store or a store's distribution warehouse, and so on and so on. Lots of stuff can happen between their QC and your PC. One big jolt during shipping could potentially loosen something ever so slightly causing it to start having issues. It's not really anyone's fault - it's just life.

I shouldn't have to disable anti-surge protection in order for my PSU to work properly, by the way.
Did they explicitly say that you would have to do this in order to get it to work, or could it have been a troubleshooting step that confirmed the issue? Think about it from another perspective. If the anti-surge system thought it was detecting a surge when there was no surge, turning that setting off may have made the system stable (for various reasons). At that point you would talk to the motherboard manufacturer for further troubleshooting and possibly replace the motherboard. It's always better to thoroughly troubleshoot an issue and get to the root of the issue than not to. Please don't get down on someone for attempting to do a thorough job.

I think it makes sense to troubleshoot the issue, but they are also assuming that I have the expertise to do so instead of simply saying, let's go ahead and replace the unit since it is under warranty. I have returned a digital camera to Sony that was under warranty where I did not have to pay return shipping, but I guess it turns out that is few and far between with these companies. Thanks for the link to the other thread; I have already spoken with customer service over the phone and they just tell me it is a company policy to not pay for return shipping.

I would also like to take the time to point out, that I have requested an Express RMA meaning they are putting a hold on my credit card pending them receiving my defective PSU back. The stipulation, is that they need to receive the old PSU within 10 business days from the date they shipped me the replacement PSU. However, the tracking information says it will take 6 days for the replacement to get to me (nice express service), meaning, if I want to use the box they used to ship the new one to me (as suggested by the customer service rep), I have to pay more for shipping so that they get it within 4 days of me receiving the new one!

I think it makes sense to troubleshoot the issue, but they are also assuming that I have the expertise to do so
Actually it's their job to help you troubleshoot the issue, no expertise needed on your part to do so. They'll walk you through the steps which it sounds like they did.

I would also like to take the time to point out, that I have requested an Express RMA meaning they are putting a hold on my credit card pending them receiving my defective PSU back. The stipulation, is that they need to receive the old PSU within 10 business days from the date they shipped me the replacement PSU. However, the tracking information says it will take 6 days for the replacement to get to me (nice express service), meaning, if I want to use the box they used to ship the new one to me (as suggested by the customer service rep), I have to pay more for shipping so that they get it within 4 days of me receiving the new one!
Express means sending the replacement first. Otherwise it would certainly be longer before you received a replacement if you went with a standard RMA. You can just tell them that it'll take longer than 10 days to get back to them and they'll work with you on it.

Archived