Corsair Community

Corsair One Storage Advice

Darc

Hey, I'm strongly considering buying a Corsair One. The only thing holding me back in the storage capacity. The specs show most models have:

1x 480GB M.2 NVME SSD

1x 2TB HDD

In my current PC I'm using a 500gb SSD for the OS and other core applications, as well as a 1TB SSD for most other things (I do have a third disk, its a 1TB HDD but only use it for storing movies/images/music).

I really don't like running games/applications/anything moderately performance dependent off the HDD and would prefer to run almost anything off an SSD instead.

So with the Corsair One, it looks like I'd be limited to a single SSD that's only 480GB and huge HDD that I wouldn't want to run most things off of.

I'd really appreciate any advice/info anyone might have about the possibility of upgrading these drives. I'd be happy only running 2 drives if they were both SSD and were a similar capacity to my current set up (1x 500gb & 1x 1tb)

Lastly, is it at all possible I could use my current Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD in the Corsair One? Would it just void the warranty but work fine? Would I run into compatibility issues?

hi - you can replace either of the 2.5" HDD relatively easily, with whatever you want and it won't void your warranty. The NVME is another story... It means removing the motherboard first, and this will void your warranty, however it should work fine. It is a pain to do this, and the pie ribbon cable need particular care as damage here will cause bigger problems.

Thanks for the info! Still not sure if it will be as easy as I imagine.

In the Upgrade Guide video it looks like both drives can be easily removed and replaced with SSD's.

Link to video:

[ame]

[/ame]

Is the 480GB M.2 NVME SSD harder to remove than what's shown in the video? The first SSD removed in the video appears to be a standard SSD. They refer to it as the boot drive. Is this not the 480GB M.2 NVME SSD?

Also is the max amount of drives 2? By the video, it looks like you have 1 boot drive and 1 expansion drive. Both look like they can be SSD.

oh yes, MUCH harder. It requires removing the motherboard...

The original Corsair One did not have name, and the 480GB SSD was the boot drive. Honestly, I would not recommend replacing it if you already have an nvme drive. The C1 is a little 'sensitive' as it were, especially around the pcie ribbon cable.

Alright, I don't see leaving the NVME in as the boot drive as a massive problem. 480GB is likely sufficient for the OS drive and other apps.

Last question I have is just in relation to how many expansion drives you can put in. In your first response you said:

"you can replace either of the 2.5" HDD relatively easily, with whatever you want and it won't void your warranty. The NVME is another story..."

Does "either" imply that there's more than 1? Could I put in 2 additional SSD's whilst leaving the NVME as the boot drive? Or is the only option to take out the pre-installed 2TB HDD and replace that as my only expansion drive?

Thanks again for all the info.

My Corsair one came with one 2.5" 480GB SSD and one 2.5" 2TB HDD. It is an older model to most.

Adding an additional drive to your system is either going to be really easy if the cables/mounting are already present, or not if the cables mounting are not present. Sorry I don't know the answer to this as I have an older model C1... Something you might need to check yourself - and if you are checking you may as well perform the upgrade at the same time if the cables are there!

Archived