Corsair Community

TX750 whine and fan movement when using mouse

Selkirk Sammy

I've had this new TX750 for two days and from the start it has been putting out a low whine/grinding sound when using the mouse. I would say this happens around 75% of the time. The fan twitches when using the mouse and when the system boots up. Like it's trying to start up but can't get going. If the fan kicks on when the load gets greater, upon stopping, the whining/grinding gets much louder and the fan twitches even more than normal.

If I move the mouse during this ~10-20 seconds after the fan turns off, the fan will almost go around a complete revolution either way depending on how much I move the mouse. After that it goes back to "normal" twitching and sometimes makes no noise at all.

Old PSU does not make any noises and hasn't had any problems like this. I have switched it out a couple times just to make sure it's not present in the older PSU. I have not tried the TX750 in another system yet, although it can be done if recommended.

I have been searching through the forums for an entire day and used many of the tips I read about, but can't find an answer that solves the problem. I have used different ports for the mouse, updated the BIOS and changed C1E setting in BIOS. I could not find EIST and ERP/EUP settings in my BIOS. I am sure EIST is an Intel setting anyway and I have an AMD motherboard.

I guess in the end, the noise is not a huge problem. I just don't want the thing frying my entire computer.

Edit 2/3/13: I just noticed that the PSU will start making noise on its own with no input being made with the mouse or anything else. It's random with no specific reason for it that I can tell. It gets quite a bit louder like it's trying to spin the fan up as if there is a significant load present but the fan doesn't twitch at all. In that case everything is quiet and just surfing the web with no load and it starts whining/grinding on its own.

Edit#2 2/3/13: Tried the PSU in another system and it does the same thing. It seems even worse on the new system because now it makes noise while scrolling up and down. Everything is still random and will sometimes not make any sounds

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry to hear that. If you are within the return policy of your reseller then my suggestion is to get the unit replaced through them and take advantage of their return policy, it's probably faster and free shipping to send back, otherwise you can process this via our RMA process by using the link on the left.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an identical issue. Since the fan only spins under load, my guess is that this corresponds to CPU activity, and increased load on the system. At first, I was wondering why my newly installed SSD drives were making hard drive like noises. Upon further inspection, I realized my new TX750 power supply was the culprit.

As I scroll through web pages, I can watch the fan click back and forth. Eventually it will finally kick in and spin for a few minutes. When it stops spinning, it always goes back to ticking back and forth as I scroll along with my mouse wheel, or stream videos online. I wish I could just make it spin all the time.

I'm preparing to return it back to the store and go with a different PSU.

I'm relieved I found this thread as I thought I was hearing things!

I've been sent a TX750M to replace two faulty CX750M's which suffered from horrendous coil whine.

While the TX doesn't have any hint of coil whine it does make odd noises of it's own. As soon as I installed it I noticed a weird noise when I moved the mouse cursor on screen. The best was I can describe it is like the noise the drive head on an old hard-drive would make only exaggerated.

I'm not sure whether to put up with it or RMA it for the third time in two weeks?!?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not doubting the reports, but I don't understand how the mouse can affect the PS fan. The PS fan temp sensor and control circuit should be self contained within the power supply, not connected to mb through any logic circuits. (I have seen power supplies that have a fan speed connector for mb to read the speed, but not control it, but the TX750 is not one of them.) Power-on and power-good are logic if a sort, but read by PS, not by mb.

Hello i know what the open poster means with the mouse coil noise coming directy from the psu. With my old graphic card and the old hx750 had the same problem until i bought a new graphic card. With the new vga i only had a coil noise during games but i had not noise coming from the psu while was moving the mouse. I know is very weird to move the mouse and your psu makes strange noise :P

Archived