Corsair Community

*What type of RAM should I buy? HeLp!

Genocide

Here is my current project: Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum, AMD 3.2 XP Chip w/ 400 fsb, ATI Radeon 9800 XT by Asus. I want a gig of ram; 2, 512 chips of Corsair Ram. What would the best choice be for my application. Please give me some feed back, as I'm anxious to get this thing movin' !

• Corsair Employee
No! None at all, only the Pro version comes with Activity LED's on the module. However, you need to make sure your system has enough room for the modules as they are about .33" taller than a standard module!

• 2 months later...
I was wondering why "straight" memory was recomment? On Corsairs recommendations page, they also recommend C2 and LL for the Soyo KT600 Ultra Dragon. ...which leads me to my question: Can I use XL? For some reason it is cheaper than LL. Anyone know why that is? Supply and Demand? The Soyo allows all latencies to be adjusted so why not run CAS 2 (C2) as a minimum? Of course, the real question for me, is how many more Mflops I can get on matrix operations. Going from LL to XL on this m/b would be from 2-3-2-6 to 2-2-2-6 since you can only set tRAS to even numbers. Why improvement might I see in cpu time (wall time) going from straight 3200 to XL? 5% maybe?

• Corsair Employee
Well yes you can use our XL modules with this MB, however I double it will run at the default timings. You may have to set the timings to Cass 2-3-2-6 and if you get a Twinx set they should be in slots 1-3 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.8 Volts!

Archived