Corsair Community

Problem with Strafe RGB since firmware update

LesC

Updated firmware on Strafe RGB keyboard and since then keyboard is not recognized when switching PC on:

Before the firmware update, I'd turn PC on at mains & keyboard would be unlit & when PC booted up, my custom lighting would kick in.

Since the update, when I switch mains on, my custom lighting mode shows for a while before keyboard goes into demo mode (?) and scrolls through various lighting modes. However, when I switch PC on, keyboard is seemingly not recognized - I type & nothing happens. I then have to remove usb cable & reconnect & keyboard works OK.

I have noticed though that if I switch the PC on immediately (ie whilst keyboard is still showing my lighting set-up & hasn't gone in to 'demo' mode), then all works fine & it is recognized. But if I then turn PC off & reboot again without unplugging from mains, keyboard acts normally. It seems as though it's somehow power related but I have the keyboard connected in exactly the same way as before the firmware update - via the one usb plug (marked as keyboard) - which is plugged into a USB3 port. I have however tried plugging keyboard into different USB3 ports & still the same. I even tried plugging in the other USB plug (which should only be required for power with USB2) & still no difference. If I leave just the latter plugged in, still gets power & 'Demo' mode so problem seems related to keyboard rather than USB ports/power??

Any ideas folks?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine is doing the same thing, very annoying having to unplug it and plug it back in, fix this please corsair!

Guess it must have something to do with the Firmware update then. I've emailed Corsair support - I'll update if they come up with a solution. I wonder if it's possible to rollback the firmware?

Also having this problem with both my keyboard and my wife's. Certainly the last firmware update.

It's happening to me also. Sometimes when my PC boots up it shows the firmware update splash window again even after the update. If I try to update again it only gets to 3% then hangs. Definitely a bug to me!!:evil:

Hello Everyone,

We are currently looking into this and will provide an update as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks Henry; appreciated :biggrin:

Ever since I updated my keyboard's firmware I have had nothing but problems too. My mouse (SABRE RGB) works 100% fine. At first the software just refused to recognize my keyboard. A reboot then caused my keyboard to not work at all. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine. Now whenever I reboot it's a 50/50 chance that the software will recognize my keyboard.

Have you guys tried disabling ERP in bios to see if that helps? Disabling ERP will stop the system from providing power to the USB ports, which is why the demo is active.

I believe you've made a typo, Henry. Don't you need to enable ErP to disable powered USB ports while the computer is "off"?

I could be mixing up ERP and EUP, though iirc they are essentially the same thing...

I've noticed a slightly strange behavior since the firmware update on my Strafe RGB.

Prior to the update, the lights simply went off when I put the computer to sleep. This is exactly what I want to happen.

Post update, putting to sleep makes the lights go to the default 'all red with a few key white', but every 3-4 seconds, the lights go out for maybe half a second then turn back on. This goes on for a couple of minutes until the lights finally turn off.

Not a huge deal, but initially I thought there was something wrong due to the split second repetitive outage.

I'm having some issues with my Strafe RGB now as well after the firmware update.

Before when I used to switch my PC on from the mains my keyboard never used to light up in demo mode. But now once my PC has some power from the mains without being turned on the keyboard lights up.

Also noticed a very odd behaviour this has happened twice, Went I switched on my PC the keyboard lighting would go all weird it does the rainbow spiral effect but it's random and scrambled like all the individual keys flashed the colours not in sync.

Also I would get a notification that there's a new firmware available even tho I have updated and forced update.. And when looking in the CUE software it shows the device as malfunctioning.

I also disabled ErP and the lighting still stays on even after when the PC is off. I never had this issue on the old firmware..

Is there a way I can revert it to the old firmware?

strafe silent rgb. fail to work on first book, update constantly reapplies have to unplug the usb pass through to get the up date to work. I have reduced the polling rate to 500 to see if this helps some say it does

Im still getting the issues from what i previously wrote and now it randomly tries to load a profile. I know this as the colours of the keys change to what i set per game.

I have uploaded a small video of the random rainbow effect when I switched on my pc where is malfunctioned and the software CUE tells me that there is an update.

[ame]https://youtu.be/u_HZ5jt-PEs[/ame]

That is a USB power issue. You have your USB slots powered when your PC is off and your PSU is on. These keyboards go into demo mode (what you are seeing) when there is USB power and no USB enumeration.

To fix this, turn off USB charging while the computer is off. You should have an EUP or ERP setting in your bios that you can enable/disable. Enable the setting and I'm 90% sure this issue should go away.

Also be sure to try it with EUP enabled and disabled. I find the setting unintuitive because on most motherboards you have to enable the feature to disable USB power, but some motherboards change the wording so that you have to disable the feature to disable USB power. The feature is a mess...

Good to know this is a firmware issue and not hardware problem. Still the proposed solution is not acceptable I have other devices that require power while my PC is off so please provide a proper fix and do test your release for compatibility issues, after all you are hardware manufacturer...

Archived