Corsair Community

Are fan units needed on Dominator-GT memory?

Unzen

Just a basic (and potentially!) very stupid question...

I've recently purchased a pack of the triple-channel CMT12GX3M3A2000C9 memory for my Asus Rampage III Extreme mobo. If, by keeping the clocks stock, can I get away with not fitting the fan unit that comes with the memory?

I've yet to fit it, but I'm pretty sure that the clearance between the memory itself and the CPU HSF pipes will be pretty tight as it is. And that's without fitting the Airflow unit on top of the three sticks of DDR3.

If it is 100% essential - then I'll look into obtaining a different cooler for the CPU - one that will allow clear space above the memory slots. I've plenty of fans in the case already and regularly keep them uncluttered from dust and other build-up. It 'should' be cool enough in there.... ;)

I had that exact same kit and never used the airflow II fan that came with it. The modules barely got warm to the touch, even when overclocked to DDR3-2400 or DDR3-2600. If your CPU cooler generates some airflow in the direction of the modules, that should be more than enough.

I had that exact same kit and never used the airflow II fan that came with it. The modules barely got warm to the touch, even when overclocked to DDR3-2400 or DDR3-2600. If your CPU cooler generates some airflow in the direction of the modules, that should be more than enough.

Many thanks for the feedback. I actually had the memory delivered by courier this morning and the rear of the packaging does indeed say that the AirFlow fan is an optional fitment.

Thanks for coming back to me though - I'll get it fitted this weekend and see how I get on!

Archived