Corsair Community

Problem with Commander Pro - cant set SP120 RGB to less than 800 RPM

Dominik94

Hey guys,

I control 3 x SP120 RGB and 2 x Be Quiet Silent Wings 3 with my Commander Pro.

All of the SP120 RGB fans cant rotate with less than 800 RPM.

If I type a number between 1 and 799 RPM in Corsair Link all of the SP120 go up to 800 RPM. Everything above 800 works fine and 0 RPM works too.

The Silent Wings 3 work perfectly fine except for a barely audible high-frequency noise (maybe coil wine?!). I can regulate their RPM from 0 - Max with no problems at all.

Is this supposed to happen or is my Commander Pro broken?

My Commander Pro runs on the newest version 0.3.153.

Same applies to Corsair Link (Version: 4.9.1.23).

• Corsair Employee

The SP120 RGB fans are voltage driven. I'm currently double-checking the minimum speed they operate at, but they may not be able to actually run below 800 RPM without stalling, which isn't unusual for a fan.

Your Commander Pro is not broken.

As for the Silent Wings 3, is the noise coming from the Commander Pro or from the fans?

Which Silent Wing 3 model are you using with the Commander Pro? I have 4 different versions of SW 2 and 3 in PWM and DC and none of them are controllable on the C-Pro. Some are locked at max and others never start. I was ready to conclude this was a mismatch but...

60% of maximum speed is the typical minimum for a DC motor. I would not expect the SP_RGB to go much lower.

I am using the Silent Wings 3 with 1600 max RPM. The noise i talked about is coming from the fans and they didnt make that noise when i controlled them with my motherboard.

Before I bought the Commander Pro I controlled the SP RGB fans with my motherboard

via this adapter cable

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/Nanoxia-60cm-Adapterkabel-fuer-Molex-zu-4x-3-Pin--NX34A60-_786708.html

and I was able to set the RPM to whatever i want (pretty sure it worked).

Is there any other way to reduce the RPM? Maybe an adapter or sth?

I was curious if you were using the PWM or DC model. I get different results from the Commander Pro with them, either no start or constant max. There are some strange PWM control issues with the fans in general, but there does seem to be a conflict with multiple types of Silent Wings 2 and 3 and the C-Pro.

My SW2s are all PWM and don't start, which is very odd for a PWM fan with a constant 12v.

My SW3s are DC. They are stuck at maximum and can't be controlled.

Your SW3 PWM seem to be controllable, but with some type of electrical feedback.

All of mine work fine on the motherboard and I have used them for a long time that way. This seems to be an unhappy marriage between the C-Pro and Silent Wings series.

My SW2s are all PWM and don't start, which is very odd for a PWM fan with a constant 12v.

My SW3s are DC. They are stuck at maximum and can't be controlled.

Your SW3 PWM seem to be controllable, but with some type of electrical feedback.

All of mine work fine on the motherboard and I have used them for a long time that way. This seems to be an unhappy marriage between the C-Pro and Silent Wings series.

I'm hoping the manual toggle between PWM and DC mode on each of the Commander Pro fan headers solves your fan issues. This is coming in the next drop.

If I am understanding C-Attack, it seems to be more that the CLCP setting the wrong mode for the Silent Wings. The malfunctions of both the DC and PWM Silent Wings are consistant - PWM fans won't start at all and DC fans only run at max speed. I wonder - do these things only happen when the CLCP mis-detects their type or do they happen even when the CLCP detects them properly? Or are they always detected wrong?

If they misbehave even when the CLCP detects their type properly, then giving the user the ability to force the fan type is not going to solve this problem. Stepping back from this issue, I don't understand why the CLCP seems to have such a hard time detecting fan types when these same fans get plugged into many different MOBOs that auto-detect fan type, seemingly without issue. I do recall a post from way back when someone put an O-Scope on the CLCP and reported that the base frequency of the pulse train was incorrect. Has this issue ever been looked into?

I am going to stop short of blaming the C-Pro. The Silent Wings series have some idiosyncrasies and strange PWM behavior on multiple fan controllers. They happen to work fine on my Asus X99 motherboards, but that is hardly an exhaustive list of controllers. I have 250 other fans I can test, but I don't have a lot of incentive. I prefer VRM based control for most of my case fans, something I can only get from the board. However, the C-Pro is doing just fine with my GPU radiator fan and I have been through ML120, HD120, eLoop B12-P, and Noctua NF-F12i ppc -- all of which are PWM and work as expected. The manual toggle for PWM/DC sounds like a good idea regardless. I look forward to it.

I am going to stop short of blaming the C-Pro. The Silent Wings series have some idiosyncrasies and strange PWM behavior on multiple fan controllers. They happen to work fine on my Asus X99 motherboards, but that is hardly an exhaustive list of controllers. I have 250 other fans I can test, but I don't have a lot of incentive. I prefer VRM based control for most of my case fans, something I can only get from the board. However, the C-Pro is doing just fine with my GPU radiator fan and I have been through ML120, HD120, eLoop B12-P, and Noctua NF-F12i ppc -- all of which are PWM. The manual toggle for PWM/DC sounds like a good idea. I look forward to it.

Yes I agree that the manual fan type toggle will help in a lot of situations - just not this one. I have never had (or heard of) an Asus mobo detecting fan type incorrectly. Or other brands. It does sound like the Silent Wings have specific issues. Too bad no one has an O-scope handy. I bet that would reveal what's going on.

250 fans!?! Now I don't feel so bad...:o:

Archived