Corsair Community

Mix Corsair memory with Mfgr's memory in Lenovo T530?

x509

I am about to buy a Lenovo T530 because I've had great luck with ThinkPad products for almost 20 years (and bad luck with some Dells).

The T530 comes standard with 4 GB PC-12800 DDR3 (one DIMM). If I want to upgrade to 8 GB, 2 DIMMS, that's going to cost me $160. I'm not making this up! :eek: See for yourself on the Lenovo website.

Over at Newegg, I can buy a comparable Corsair DIMM for about $24. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233241 Crazy, isn't it, the way Lenovo wants to charge so much for upgrades. :roll:

I could also buy an 8 GB part for about $56. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233264

So, is it a good idea to keep the OEM 4 GB DIMM and add a Corsair 4 GB DIMM? This laptop is my "daily driver" when I'm travelling, nothing exciting like overclocking. :D:

Would it be OK to add the Corsair 8 GB part, so I would have 12 GB total RAM? (This system runs Win 7 64 bit and I will be doing some graphics-heavy applications.)

Thanks,

x509

• Corsair Employee
We do not recommend or support mixing memory as we cannot guaranty compatibility between our modules and the OEM ones. For your system I would recommend replacing your existing memory with a 8GB kit (2x4GB modules). Or if your system can handle it, a 16GB (2x8GB module) kit.

We do not recommend or support mixing memory as we cannot guaranty compatibility between our modules and the OEM ones. For your system I would recommend replacing your existing memory with a 8GB kit (2x4GB modules). Or if your system can handle it, a 16GB (2x8GB module) kit.

I'm not sure about the chipset details, but on the Lenovo website, I can definitely upgrade to 16 GB.. For that, Lenovo charges $1060! :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

To put this in perspective, the base product, after their current web discount, is only $979. :mad: So I think I'll get the Corsair RAM, either 8 GB or 16 GB, depending on how rich I'm feeling when I do the order.

Archived