Corsair Community

Corsair H100i GTX Usb question

albhedpt

Hi there everyone, just wanted to know what does the USB on the pump do.

I've been having temperatures of 70ºC while gaming, so I thought something was wrong. I went to check my cpu and noticed that there is a mini usb port on the pump. Is this important to connect? I dont think I have received this.

The USB connection is how the cooler and motherboard communicate with each other. That USB cable is required if you are going to use the Link software to control the pump, fans, or make LED changes. It is not technically required, but if you forgo the USB cable I would move the fans from the pump block to your motherboard. Otherwise you are just a passenger with no control over their speed and behavior.

If you are not using Link, you are not going to see your pump speed. Those Asetek H100i GTX/v2 and H115i coolers report odd things like half the pump speed. With Link, you can toggle between a high/low setting (Performance/Quiet), but that again requires the USB cable and Link. You can temporarily connect it, set the pump, and disconnect. However, my preference would be to leave it at the lower setting unless you are really testing the cooler. Most people report very slight differences between the high and low pump speeds and it is usually noticeable at the desktop when set to high/3000 rpm.

If you are concerned about losing the fan header on your motherboard, you can use a minu-USB cable and route to a USB port in the back. Or you can get one of the internal USB hubs. Also, if you set any custom settings in Link, make sure you set them as the default for the device (Device Menu, select the Pump, Set as Default Settings).

Archived