Corsair Community

Which RAM should I get?

JPBart

I am buying an ABIT IC7-G and a P4 2.8C or 3.0C.....I am thinking about 1GB XMS PC3200LL (2x512). I am a n00b to OC and will first run the machine stock for a while before I start tweaking it. I am not really going for extreme OC. Just optimum performance. Is this the correct RAM for me to buy? I had an OCS machine that was highly overclocked and the techs there told me I could only run 1 stick of RAM in extreme OC. Am I making a mistake buying 2x512 or was he wrong? Any suggestions?

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for your interest in our memory. We would suggest our CMX512-3200C2 or for more room to grow or over clock or our CMX512-3500C2 would be suggested for this chipset no matter who the MB maker is. Ram Guy

Thanks Ram Guy. Any reason I can't or shouldn't run 2 sticks of your CMX512-3500C2 ? My board will hold up to 4 sticks any reason I can't or shouldn't run 2Gb (4x512) ram in an OC machine? It sounds nuts to me but I was told I should only use one stick of ram in an OC machine. I always thought Ram was one of those things you really can't have too much of.:)

Well, I got an Abit IC7 and 2 sticks of CMX512-3200C2 but it ain't working at 200Mhz. Currently I'm using a P4 2400(533Mhz) with FSB 150Mhz(3:4). The CPU worked fine at that frequency on my old board with each of these memory sticks. My system is starting up correctly but sometimes I get BSODs. I tried a lot of timing settings but it's still far away from a stable one. What are the recommend settings? per SPD? Thanks

Ok, there's another thing I'm wondering about. The sticks are both labled as CMX512-3200C2V1.1. But, if I put them into my old board SiSoft Sandra looks at the SPDs I guess and says one is (CL2,5 upto 200Mhz, CL2 upto 167Mhz) and the other one (CL2,5 upto 178Mhz?! and CL2 upto 167Mhz) But they ran both fine at 200Mhz at my old P4B533, except together.

• Corsair Employee
Well I would not trust Si-soft that much. But you can use AIDA32 it would be a bit more accurate. Also if you got them a different times one may be before december of last year and the other one after may explain the difference. As we changed the SPD about that time. Ram Guy

thanks again for your fast answer Yes, I bought one last year and the other one a few weeks ago. I tried AIDA32 and it says both are CMX512-3200C2. Almost all values are the very same, but one is shown as a PC2700(166Mhz)?! I'm confused now:sigh!:

• Corsair Employee
Well up untill December of last year we used the JEDEC values for PC-2700 memory as there was none defined untill then. You can rma the older module if you like but setting the memory timings manually will solve this. For the RMA, Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmicro.com[/email]. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmicro.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

Thanks again If it will work with manual settings, there's no need for a rma then I guess. I'll try with a new P4 if it finally arrives and the settings you mentioned on the sticky XMS Qualification and Testing post. Have a nice day.

• Corsair Employee
No problem please let us know. Also for the Intel MB you may have to use other memory to post and set the timings. If not we are happy to exchnage them for you under rma. Ram Guy

• 7 months later...
Well instead of making a new topic I'll answering here in. It's still about that one special module:): I'm afraid I have to make a RMA 'coz I ran MemtestX863.0 a few times and I get hundreds of errors, each time at the very same address, or address range of that module. My system is not overclocked. (FSB 200Mhz) The DRAM voltage is set to 2.7V. I tried manually settings and the SPDs. I put an other module at the same slot with the same settings and not even one single error occurs. After that I tried the 'wrong' module at a different memory slot, actually I tried all four slots, but's it's still the same errors I get. But the 'good' module works fine in every memory slot. I don't know what to do now. Shall I do as you mentioned above?

• Corsair Employee
No Problem, lets try replacing the module. Please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it.

Archived