Corsair Community

H100i V2 lights and fans

Davidooo

Hello.

I'm building my first pc and i bought Corsair 460X case that comes with 3 SP120 RGB fans.

I'm planing to mount h100i v2 radiator in front or top and i want to keep the RGB lights on every fan. As i know stock fans on H100i v2 dont have led lights, but they have high rpm...

My question is, will these stock SP120 RGB fans be able to cool my cpu (Intel i7 7700k) or should i change them to HD120 High Performance PWM/SP120 RGB PWM for speed control and lower noise?

Another question.. Can i connect SP120 RGB lights and HD120 RGB lights to the same hub? Will they all sync?

Hi bud.

Re fans and cooling.

I have the H100i V2 with Hd120's in place of the stock fans and can report they do what you want ;) they keep my i7 4790k more than cool enough and about the same as the stock fans imho. ran with just two fans for a good 6 months and no issues.. i now have 4 hd120's push/pull but mainly for aesthetics lol

Re Rgb hub...

No you cant control both SP RGB and HD RGB fans from the same Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub as when setting up in Clink you have to tell Clink which type of fans you have.. one type per hub

Re Hd vs Sp RGB fans..

I have both.. 8x hd120 and 1x hd140 in my case and 5x sp120's in the wifes pc. i find the Hd series to be quieter for sure. and of course the Led's are much 'nicer' if you not after a subtle set up lol, Both will do the job as far as cooling your Cpu ;)

I also recommend the Corsair Commander Pro for Fan Rpm control. allows zero rpm. meaning for me that only my rad fans and rear exhaust fans run all the time. all the rest kick in when the cpu or gpu head over 45c. rad fans and exhaust fan sit at about 800rpm at low usage and cpu temps hover around 29c with coolant at 28c (intake temp is 26.5). would also allow you to plug the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub into the commander for rgb control through Clink...

1. The SP120 RGB LED fans are 3-pin voltage and the HD120 RGB LED fans are 4-pin PWM.
  2. The HD120 fan LEDs must be connected to a different LED hub to the SP120 fan LEDs, you if you have both you will need 2 x LED hubs.
  3. The H100iV2 can only control 4-pin PWM fans so I advise you to use 2 x HD120 RGB LED fans.
  4. You should consider getting a CLCP so the fan speeds and LEDs can be controlled by software.
  5. The lighting effects available on SP fans are far less than on HD fans and having SP fans will limit what can be used.
  6. I suspect synchronising SP + HD fan LEDs will be tricky even with a CLCP.
  7. If you can afford to do so then using 5 x HD120 fans would be ideal as the 12 HD fan LEDs can do far more then the 4 SP fan LEDs and will give sensible synchronisation.
  8. It would be easier to help you if you used http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra.

I'm thinking about 6 fans. 1 rear, 2 on top and 3 on front. If all my fans are HD, then maybe i don't need commander, i could use hub.

Is there a way to link RGB fan light with h100i v2 lights using corsair link?

Then maybe i could change all lights using software

I'm thinking about 6 fans. 1 rear, 2 on top and 3 on front. If all my fans are HD, then maybe i don't need commander, i could use hub.

Is there a way to link RGB fan light with h100i v2 lights using corsair link?

Then maybe i could change all lights using software

6 x HD is what I would opt for :biggrin:.

The LED hub just provides power and has no active components so you will need a CLCP to control things.

CL 4.8.0.82 can't synchronise the H100iV2 LED with the HD/SP fan LEDs.

As to what a future CL will be capable of I can't say (it's all NDA), try searching for "computex sync it" and you should find such as http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=907343

if you want to control Fan or Led strips via the Clink software then you would need either the Commander Pro or the Lighting Node Pro (comes with 4 led strips). this is the only way to link the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub's to the pc for software control.

as for the H100i V2 pump Led. once you have it connected via usb yes you can control the Led color via the Clink Software

CLCP can be used to sync RGB light of every component? lets say, corsair keyboard, mouse, pc fans, and even stock motherboard LED strips (Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 5)? Or i need some more software programs?

Until Corsair release the "sync it" software I can't say what will and will not be possible.

I can assure you that you will need a CLCP though.

In terms of LED strips I advise you get ones you can connect to the CLCP

Somewhere i read about putting 1 460x stock SP120 RGB fan in front with radiator (pulls air from outside), then installing stock h100i v2 PWM on other side of radiator (pushes air inside the case)?

Will this setup somehow damage the SP120 fan, because of the different speeds?

Or this is normal setup that many people use?

Somewhere i read about putting 1 460x stock SP120 RGB fan in front with radiator (pulls air from outside), then installing stock h100i v2 PWM on other side of radiator (pushes air inside the case)?

Will this setup somehow damage the SP120 fan, because of the different speeds?

Or this is normal setup that many people use?

not if you have Commander Pro.. using Clink (which works very well) to control rpm meaning you can match fan speeds.

shouldnt be any issue with stock fans one side and sp rgb's the other.. besides.. as you are using a 460x case you will quickly replace with rgb fans ;).. you know you will lol.. its why you bought a glass case ;).. i use push/pull and it works for me well. have rad mounted in front and temps are super stable and nice and low. have my top fans as intake also.. rear and psu as exhaust.. works for me.......

1. Are all HD120 RGB fans with PWM?
  2. Somewhere i read about putting 1 460x stock SP120 RGB fan in front with radiator (pulls air from outside), then installing stock h100i v2 PWM on other side of radiator (pushes air inside the case)?
  3. Will this setup somehow damage the SP120 fan, because of the different speeds?
  4. Or this is normal setup that many people use?

1. Yes, if it was not 4-pin PWM then it would not be an HD120 RGB LED fan.
  2. As you have not posted a link I can't sensibly comment.
  3. I doubt it and even at the same speed the air flow is likely to be different as the fan blades are different.
  4. I prefer to have the radiator as top exhaust as the inside of the case should be cooler.
  5. I feel using push/pull is in most cases overkill. I would start with just 6 x HD120 fans and see how that works out before considering using push/pull.

I would like to install radiator with fans on top. I don't like it too when radiator is mounted in front, because of the hot airflow inside the case. But i read that you can mount it in top if your RAM height are small.

Does anyone know if i can install H100i V2 in top with Vengeance® LPX 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14?

Hello again. Just recently bought corsair h100 v2 and now i ran into a problem with connections. I watched a youtube video where one person said that you can't connect pumps connection to CPU_FAN. He said that you can damage your mobo if pump fails and shorts so he connected pump to PSU. Other commentators said that on start up the pump takes more current than CPU_FAN can handle and it also can damage mobo. Are they telling the truth? The corsair manual says opposite, you need to connect it to CPU_FAN.. PSU saves from short circuit.

There are many options with connections. Should i connect pump to w_pump on my mobo and 2 radiator fans to CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT? Or all to CPU_FAN like manual instructed or to PSU?

And one more question. Is pre-applied thermal paste on h100 v2 good or should i change with other paste?

Thank you for your answers.

Yes, use the pre-applied TIM. Skill in application generally trumps any minute difference in chemical composition between brands. At some point you will take it off for one reason or another and can then use whatever you like.

No, you do not need to run the pump from the PSU and statements like the one you referenced are part superstition, part generalized nonsense. Lumping a bunch of different electrical devices into the same category is ridiculous. The pump itself use a puddly amount of power, far less than the two fans. Everyone has the same 1.0A current limit on their CPU header. Nobody makes a pump that pushes the limit. When they do, then you see a SATA power connector instead. Your answer to the next question may make this irrelevant anyway. No fans on the pump connection means very little power draw on the board.

What fans did you get? The HD120's on the radiator could be powered from the pump and run from coolant temp. The SP120 rgb would need to go on CPU/OPT and the H100i v2 to the AIO/w-pump header. The Pump connection needs a steady 12v no matter what. Automatic on W-Pump. CPU header needs to be set in the bios for this. Usually something must be on CPU to boot, either pump or fan.

I'm replacing stock h100i v2 fans with HD120 RGB PWM. So if i understand you correctly, i can use CPU_FAN for the pump and 2 fans with the pumps external connections, but i need to configure bios cpu_fan configurations to 100%?

I saw a few posts that when you connect fans to the pumps, you can't read fans rpm, but i think corsair link should be able to.

Is there are some kind of coolant temperature sensors in the pump? Otherwise, how you connect fans to spin depending on coolant temperature and not CPU temp?

I know this is a silly question :D

There are many ways to setup and control the H100iV2. I suggest as follows:

1. Connect the H100iV2 to the CPU_FAN header and in the BIOS set PWM mode to ensure the H100iV2 get's the constant +12 volts it needs.
  2. When you do this the reported CPU_FAN speed is half the pump speed which should be >= about 950 RPM and the actual pump speed >= about 1900 RPM.
  3. The H100iV2 temperature + pump speed + fan speed can only be reported by software such as CL4.
  4. The H100iV2 temp is the coolant temp and to use this to control the fans they need to be connected to the H100iV2.
  5. Connect both HD120 fans to the H100iV2. Only one fan speed will be reported and both should run at the same speed.
  6. Make sure the H100iV2 fan group is configured to be the H100iV2 temperature.

If you need help with the CL4 setup I suggect you post the CL4 [Home] tab + H100iV2 fan configuration panel screen shots.

There are many ways to setup and control the H100iV2. I suggest as follows:

1. Connect the H100iV2 to the CPU_FAN header and in the BIOS set PWM mode to ensure the H100iV2 get's the constant +12 volts it needs.
  2. When you do this the reported CPU_FAN speed is half the pump speed which should be >= about 950 RPM and the actual pump speed >= about 1900 RPM.
  3. The H100iV2 temperature + pump speed + fan speed can only be reported by software such as CL4.
  4. The H100iV2 temp is the coolant temp and to use this to control the fans they need to be connected to the H100iV2.
  5. Connect both HD120 fans to the H100iV2. Only one fan speed will be reported and both should run at the same speed.
  6. Make sure the H100iV2 fan group is configured to be the H100iV2 temperature.

If you need help with the CL4 setup I suggect you post the CL4 [Home] tab + H100iV2 fan configuration panel screen shots.

Thanks for that information, I'm looking into a similar setup.

Out of curiosity, if you connect the HD fans to the pump, do they lose their ability to change the LED?

Out of curiosity, if you connect the HD fans to the pump, do they lose their ability to change the LED?

No.. they have two separate connections

one for rpm control which would be connected to your h100i and one for rgb control that will go to the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub (the only way to control the rgb side of the HD and Sp series rgb fans)

if you wanted to control the rgb via software you would need a commander pro to plug the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub into (or a lighting node pro with the Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub plugged into it) and also need to download Corsairs Link software (which would also allow you to set custom fan curves on the h100i)

No, the HD RGB LED fans have two cables the fan cable goes to the cooler and the LED cable to a LED hub which is then connected to a CLCP or CLNP.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay which cable is which from the fan? Which one is the Lights and which one is speed? Sorry bit of a newbie.

I want two HD120 fans on my H100I. I want the Rad to control the speed and the my button on my corsair controller to control the lights.

I do have a 3rd HD120 which will all be controlled by the controller. If i press speed on the control will this change the speed on the Rad fans?

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you.

1. Okay which cable is which from the fan?
  2. Which one is the Lights and which one is speed?
  3. Sorry bit of a newbie.
  4. If i press speed on the control will this change the speed on the Rad fans?

1. They have different connectors and only the LED cable will fit in the LED hub.
  2. You need to connect to the LED hub ports 1 + 2 + 3.
  3. I advice you to use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/profile.php?do=extra as this makes it easier to help you.
  4. No, it changes the speed of the lighting effects.

Thank you so much. Very well explained and answered a question ive been searching for hours.

So the two fans attached to Rad straight in to Rad sockets and light controller, The other fan attached to spare Fan header on motherboard and lighting controller?

Ill will fill me PC parts in this lunch time.

Thank you again

So the two fans attached to Rad straight in to Rad sockets and light controller, The other fan attached to spare Fan header on motherboard and lighting controller?

1. Do you really have a H100i or is it a H100iV2? They are very different in terms of how to configure them.
  2. All 3 of the fan LED cables need to be connected to the LED hub.
  3. Two of the fan 4-pin fan cables should be connected to the cooler.
  4. One of the fan 4-pin fan cables should be connected to the motherboard and the BIOS configured to control it.
  5. I need to know the motherboard to say more.
  6. When asking multiple questions it's easier to help you if you use http://forum.corsair.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#list as I have done.

Archived