Corsair Community

H150i Pro Ok with 1 fan? Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 compatability?

CountingCrows

Hello everyone.

Is it possible to use H150i pro with 1 fan or do all fans need to be plugged in?

I do not have space for more than 1 fan, but radiator fits in fine.

Temp not an issue. Presently using H80i with single fan at minium RPM. No (external) GPUs on the system, no OC. Silence required.

Also, is H150i Pro compatible with:

GIGABYTE Z370 Aorus Gaming 5

GIGABYTE H370 Aorus Gaming 3 WiFi

The reason I am asking is there are some capacitors next to memory slots and waterblock is extending out from that side.

Many thanks!

Thanks!

Physically the cooler will work, but obviously not to the same capacity as in 3 fan form. In theory, the open 2/3 of the radiator will passively release heat. However, I would be surprised if the cooling was any different than what you are currently doing. Technically it might even be less efficient since the coolant will make slightly fewer trips through the aided dissipation section compared the shorter loop H80i and offset by whatever passive heat is released. Positioning might be a factor as well. The radiator is a physical obstruction, so it is a penalty compared to open venting or an active case fan. Not sure I would want this as front intake, but it might be OK as top exhaust. That’s all a bit over-analytical and it is probably going to be exactly the same, so performance upgrade is not a good reason to do this.

Thank you for your response c-attack. Actually, this is not about cooling. I also can install all 3 fans as top exhaust, it is Obsidian 800D case. I made up the story that it is blocked in order to stop people from dwelling on that. I'd like to use it with a single fan.

AX760i is dying on me. It broke some parts of the motherboards so far. And the cover for pipes are cracked on H80i (no leaking yet). Hence upgrade from Z87 to Z370 chipset.

Technically it might even be less efficient since the coolant will make slightly fewer trips through the aided dissipation section compared the shorter loop H80i and offset by whatever passive heat is released.

Can you clarify this? Why will the coolant make fewer trips? It is the pump that is pushing the liquid, not the fans.

Thank you for your response c-attack. Actually, this is not about cooling. I also can install all 3 fans as top exhaust, it is Obsidian 800D case. I made up the story that it is blocked in order to stop people from dwelling on that. I'd like to use it with a single fan.

Why? Is it noise that you are concerned about? The H150 comes with different fans than the H80. They are MUCH quieter. Use all three. If silence is required, keep the fan speeds low. Use Zero RPM mode if you want, which will passively cool to a certain temperature.

But don't eliminate the fans. IF I was just answering your first question (where you claimed that they were blocked), I'd say that the H150 isn't the right solution.

I see that you are quite helpful around here DevBiker and it is appreciated. I asked a very specific question.

I did not ask opinions about MagLev fans or ZeroRPM modes. I was using Koolance Exos and Zalman Reserator XT without any fans long before Corsair knew what watercooling is.

You ask again why?

Not to be rude, but the answer is: I feel like it.

Can you clarify this? Why will the coolant make fewer trips? It is the pump that is pushing the liquid, not the fans.

Assuming the same pump head speed, the distance from the cold plate through the 360mm radiator and back will be slightly longer (about 240mm down and back) than a single pane 120mm radiator. This means nothing in a moment in time and the flow rate is relatively high given the short length, but over the course of 30-60 minutes there would be a difference difference in the number of trips through the fan vented section. This is in turn offset by any passive heat release from the non-fan sections. What does that mean in terms of temperature differences? I have no idea. This is not something I have tried and you won't find too many 360mm with 1 fans vs 120mm cooler reviews. My hunch is there is no difference in terms of coolant temperature, so this is unlikely to be a performance upgrade from your current set-up.

I am not entirely sure what you're up to and that's OK. Lots of people like quiet and I can understand that. The only thing I will mention is a 360mm radiator with 3 fans running at very slow speeds (350-400 rpm) is an improvement over a 360mm with 1 fan. That end fan closest to the front might be an issue if you have 5.25" drives up there. 2 is still better than 1.

In a plus for the H150i, it does have a quiet pump mode that sets it at 1100 rpm. That is certainly lower than 1900-2000 of most pumps, although I can't hear mine at this speed either. Still, that may be a factor in your decision.

Thank you for your answer c-attack.

I think you are all failing this since you are trying to compare performance. But it does not matter for me.

You mentioned a good point with pump speed on your last paragraph. That is a factor as well (although I do not remember hearing pump noise on H80i).

I am not upgrading from H80i. As I explained, H80i has some cracking on pipes and I had to peel off some layers from it. And it has been 6 years. It is time to change it.

Looking at the lamp hours on my projector, I have logged less than 500 hours on this system. That is 20 days of usage in 6 years. But components have a lifespam. Coolant probably started to lose its properties. AXi is acting up.

What are my choices?

ZeroRPM + MagLev + Pump + Braid + Temp Color + 120mm

H150i Pro

H100i Pro (not available here)

So there you go. A single option.

Now as to why I'd prefer a single fan (to answer DevBiker more elaborately):

1. I have a top exhaust opening on top of 800D. I was covering it with cardboard to stop accumulation of dust. This radiator fits right in there.

2. We are enthusiasts. We like things in order. We get modular PSU to eliminate excess. I do not want to have 2 more additional fan cables and 2 more fans cramping up the case.

3. Each additional fan adds 10% to overall noise levels. If I can do without fans, I would. ZeroRPM mode is good and it is also good to have a backup fan kick in if and when needed (instead of 3).

4. There is a top opening for the cables that the fan will block or come in close proximity of. I do nto want to have the risk of my cables shredded by a fan blade.

I hope now we are clear.

I know on some systems the equipment will not function if fan RPM reading is not available. I had to use a sensor from PSU to my Zalman unit to make it work without fan.

That is the reason for my question: Does this unit work with a single fan, or not?

Many thanks!

I know on some systems the equipment will not function if fan RPM reading is not available. I had to use a sensor from PSU to my Zalman unit to make it work without fan.

That is the reason for my question: Does this unit work with a single fan, or not?

Yes, it works with 0-3 fans plugged into pump PWM fan controller. Use of the on board fan controller is not necessary for pump or LED operation.

Thank you for all the help. Now I am having this working with all fans removed.

I will explain why.

But first, capacitors are no problem on Z370 gaming. I should have visited pcpartpicker sooner instead of asking the question.

Triple radiator is fine with fanless setup. Initially I wanted to make use of zero-rpm scam. What stupidness. Fan kicking in at 35C along with a pump set to full speed.

I set thermal shutdown at 60C. Tested, system powered off. Good.

My coolant temp stable at 28C after an hour of use with no fan. My core temps are 30-35C.

My AX760i is fine. It was probably some problem with mobo and was time to replace it anyway.

Thanks for all the help.

Archived